Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Kraziness in the kennel 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    If we had Nembhard this season I'd be more confident in our #1 ranking. He and Suggs on the floor together would be pretty hard to stop.
    No doubt. Two McDonalds AAs. But Cook will do fine. Maybe Nembhard feeds Holmgren

The 3 missing non-con games were revealed; Southern, Idaho, and Northwestern State.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    The 3 missing non-con games were revealed; Southern, Idaho, and Northwestern State.
    We probably won’t get to see them in Cali anyway.

I put the over/under on guys who will make an NBA roster at 3.5.

My streaming connection was flawless. I used the GoZags site link.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I’m thinking 5.5 if you include Nembhard

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    My streaming connection was flawless. I used the GoZags site link.
    Same here, and I had it Chrome-Casted to my Smart TV. Hopefully I have the same success for the next ROOT game, whenever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Over and by a few. Suggs, Kispert, and Timme are all locks. Ayayi, Nembhard, Harris, Strawther, Watson, and Ballo are likely to get serious looks. There’s a reason this team is number one.

5.5 is a much better number. I think 6 is realistic if it means seeing game time.

First impressions;
    Timme, Kispert, and Suggs are weaponized, Harris is a defensive star in the making, Cook is very solid. The rest in John Ozell's words help make up "an embarrassment of riches"
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I was hoping to see more positive things from Zakharov and Ballo, but overall they did ok. Watson didn't really look in the flow as much as I hoped, but again, was ok. Kispert, Timme, Ayayi, Nembhard, and Suggs were all impressive as was Cook. Harris was obviously off on the long ball, but impressive on defense. I'm thinking that Cook and Harris will be our perimeter defensive stoppers although Kispert did show increased foot speed in that area. Overall, I am pretty impressed with what I saw for what tonight was.

What I looked for was to see if we have 3 and maybe 4 guys who can average in double figures. There are definitely 3 very good scorers in Kispert, Timme and Suggs. All 3 will score 20 points a number of times this year. I was very impressed with Suggs. He seems bigger than I thought and seems older. He plays like a junior. It appeared that Ayayi is playing the point, and that surprised me, but he did a good job, and I can see why Few would want Juggs to play the two. Ayayi will still average 10 points a game I think at the point, and will be our 4th player to average double figures. I think Ballo will be the back up center and will do okay. He should average maybe 8 points a game as the back up. Cook will be a very good back-up guard, probably at the point. He should have a good chance of coming close to averaging ten pts a game. I was impressed with his size, and his game. He will be a good defensive player too.

I can certainly see a four guard offense team with: Timme, Kispert, Suggs, Ayayi and Cook.

We will see Timme, Ballo, Kispert, Suggs and Ayayi start, or maybe Watson instead of Ballo. I really didn't see Watson do too much, but he was playing pretty tough D.

If Timme is going to play the 5 he is going to really be tough to guard. He plays like a 4 but on this team he could be the 5.

I like Harris. I thought he played pretty good D, and looked pretty intense out there. He is definitely confident which is good. But he won't need to play the way he did tonight when he plays this season. When you analyze him, I look at his D, his hustle, and his intensity and i saw all of that. I also look for his basketball IQ and to me it's very high. He is also very quick. I do think he's going to get some playing time.

Here's my take.

Ayayi, Suggs, Kispert, Watson and Timme.
    Cook, Ballo, Harris, Arlauskas or Strawther....
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

it might take suggs some time to get caught up with the offense, so not surprising that ayayi in this setting was running things...he was definitely looking to get others involved more than scoring.

anton needs to step up otherwise the best lineup is going to be with kispert at the 4...

- i think many saw the same.....i.e. timmie, kispert and suggs shine, and ayaya and cook played quite well.
    - was hoping for a bit more pizazz from ballo, and watson was i don't know, but not the best player on the floor as some have hoped or speculated might be the case this year.
    - but hey, small sample, all of 16 minutes..........and did you notice greg heister thought they had played 8 minutes and had another 8 to play.......he truly was in mid season form!

Can’t read too much into anything. Michaelson said after the game that they kept things basic. I think they divided up the teams in such a way that we likely won’t see most of these lineups this year. The goal was to simulate some level of game action, and I think they achieved that. Can’t wait for Kansas!!!

Overall, I was VERY impressed. Timme was a stud! My only concern is that both Ballo and Zakharov still look pretty young and raw, but I'm pretty sure there are about 350 other teams that would take either of them in a heart beat! I would be looking for teams to attack Timme and see if they can get him in foul trouble because his backups are not at his level... yet. We are in really good shape at guard with Suggs, Cook, and Ayayi. Kispert looked to be all business out there and ready to go. I'm not worried about Watson. If he is healthy, he will give us what ever we need on any given night. Harris is high energy and high IQ - well other than his shot selection . I actually liked what I saw from Arlauskas. It is too bad that Nembhard is not eligible this year... that kid has game too. It would have been nice to see Strawther. In the introductions, he looked and sounded quite mature for a true FR! I don't think scoring will be a problem. If they dedicate themselves to playing consistent, high-level D, they will be very, very special.

I can only imagine how intense the practices will be as you have so many capable players vying for 200 min of PT. The coaches will have their work cut out!

Been a long wait to finally see some actual action on the court. Overall I think this team looks like they will be dangerous but difficult to tell much from a scrimmage. Few admitted as much when DD interviewed him during the game (which tells you something right there) With that said, here's what I saw.....

Timme-Best player on the floor. Looks like he has extended his range a bit, scored in transition and off the dribble. Showed come swag and cockiness too. Plays like an upper class-man.
    Kispert-Also looked great. Lost some weight and looked a little quicker on his feet. Stroked it from deep. Wasn't ready for a no-look pass that Suggs whipped his way and went off his hands. Vocal leader for the team
    Ballo-Doesn't look ready yet. Loaded with potential but needs to be stronger with his hands and move his feet better. Played heavy. It's a big step up in competition from FIBA U19. He will get there but didn't realize how far he still had to go.
    Ayayi-Typical Joel game-he doesn't seem to be doing much then you realize he had 7 rebounds a steal, a couple of buckets and no obvious mistakes.
    Watty-Rebounded the ball well but wasn't much of a factor on offense. Looked a little choppy out there.
    Nembard-Wow. Impressive on defense and quick. Smooth game. Can't wait to see him next year-until then he will give the other guards fits in practice
    Suggs-Did it all in his debut. His size and athleticism jumps off of the screen at you. Hits from deep, plays above the rim. I'm going to enjoy him while he is here
    Harris-Shoot first guard. No conscience. Put up something like 14 shots and hit 2. Yikes. Few won't let him have the green like that in a real game. His shot looked flat coming out of his hands.
    Pavel-looks improved and bigger. Made a sweet pass out of the post
    Strawther-Why didn't he play? Injured?
    Cook & Arlauskas- Didn't notice much

This team may take some lumps early given the level of competition starting the OOC but they have a very high ceiling. Timme and Kispert will be the leaders and there is plenty of talent and size in the back court. I think we will need to see big contributions from Watson because we are not as deep on the front line as in past years. Wild cards are injuries and Covid but we are as well prepared for that as anybody.

Can't wait for Kansas.

Go Zags!

ZZ

Here are my unfiltered thoughts:

-Kispert is the clear leader this year. Give me the damn ball and I will get you a bucket.

-Timme looks to be go to guy #2. Inside, outside, crossover.. you name it, this guy is going to make opposing big men look silly this year. 15 and 9 a game.. take it to the bank.

-Suggs.. OH ME OH MY! Hes a PTP'er BABY! Have a tomahawk slam.. oh thats not good enough? how about a buttery finger roll kiss off the glass from 10 feet out? For good measure I'll take a corner pop 3... nothing but nylon.

-Cook or Cookie as I like to call him.. woolridge 2.0 .. 3 blocks in 1 half?? EXPLOSIVE!!! All net on that three as well. MARK MY WORDS: THIS WILL BE THE SURPRISE OF THE SEASON

-Watson... come on Anton.. I know you got more skills than that!! I saw more post shoulder Anton than pre shoulder anton. Kid has the goods.. but is he ready to be aggressive Anton?

-Ayayi.. it may be a tale of too many riches this year. Joel may wish he declared for the pros when he is 4th or 5th option. Not a knock, but he may get overshadowed by Suggs and Cook

-Harris.. about as great as a person can look going 2-10... could be a hell of a defender, quick as lightning, great body control in the air and fast hands.. a future pro and if he stays 3 years will be an all american candidate. You know who else came in as a freshman and had that chucker mentality? Adam Morrison. He turned out ok. Blake Stepp-- he turned out ok.

-Ballo... people were high to the moon on this kid, but he is what I expected.. a work in progress. Anyone thinking all american caliber this year needs to get a reality check. If he can give us 7 ppg and 6 rebounds I would be happy.

-Arlauskas.. people are down on him on this board from previous threads but I dont get it. He looks and has always looked solid to me. Great frame, can drive and finish and has surprising athleticism. I think he contributes at times this year. We shall see.

-Nembhard.. going to be a player. Goss Light his junior year. Goss-esque his senior year.

-Pavel-- Good rotational spot big this year.

-Heister.. as jolly as ever.

-

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Been a long wait to finally see some actual action on the court. Overall I think this team looks like they will be dangerous but difficult to tell much from a scrimmage. Few admitted as much when DD interviewed him during the game (which tells you something right there) With that said, here's what I saw.....

Timme-Best player on the floor. Looks like he has extended his range a bit, scored in transition and off the dribble. Showed come swag and cockiness too. Plays like an upper class-man.
    Kispert-Also looked great. Lost some weight and looked a little quicker on his feet. Stroked it from deep. Wasn't ready for a no-look pass that Suggs whipped his way and went off his hands. Vocal leader for the team
    Ballo-Doesn't look ready yet. Loaded with potential but needs to be stronger with his hands and move his feet better. Played heavy. It's a big step up in competition from FIBA U19. He will get there but didn't realize how far he still had to go.
    Ayayi-Typical Joel game-he doesn't seem to be doing much then you realize he had 7 rebounds a steal, a couple of buckets and no obvious mistakes.
    Watty-Rebounded the ball well but wasn't much of a factor on offense. Looked a little choppy out there.
    Nembard-Wow. Impressive on defense and quick. Smooth game. Can't wait to see him next year-until then he will give the other guards fits in practice
    Suggs-Did it all in his debut. His size and athleticism jumps off of the screen at you. Hits from deep, plays above the rim. I'm going to enjoy him while he is here
    Harris-Shoot first guard. No conscience. Put up something like 14 shots and hit 2. Yikes. Few won't let him have the green like that in a real game. His shot looked flat coming out of his hands.
    Pavel-looks improved and bigger. Made a sweet pass out of the post
    Strawther-Why didn't he play? Injured?
    Cook & Arlauskas- Didn't notice much

This team may take some lumps early given the level of competition starting the OOC but they have a very high ceiling. Timme and Kispert will be the leaders and there is plenty of talent and size in the back court. I think we will need to see big contributions from Watson because we are not as deep on the front line as in past years. Wild cards are injuries and Covid but we are as well prepared for that as anybody.

Can't wait for Kansas.

Go Zags!

ZZ
    Watch cook closer.

Suggs is fine and will be spectacular after he gets a few tough games under his belt. Superior athlete and a very good athlete. Watson ( as Bob Zag used to say) must learn to trust his shoulder. I look forward to watch him soar. He's got the goods. Harris is THEE kid I love. He's got a bad shooting night. It happens. Good defense good speed. good passer.

Cook could very well be the lynchpin for this group. Very talented and mature.
    Ballo needs some games.

SUperior talent on this teem with superior athletes. Once they become a team, it'll be "lights out". I wsh we could play a game before Kansas. That'll be a very stern test.
    Just a wonderful team that needs maturity. It'll come.

My starting lineup after watching tonight:
    G Jalen Suggs
    G Joel Ayayi
    G Aaron Cook
    F Corey Kispert
    C Drew Timme

Also, this team reminds me of a supped up version of the 08-09 team.

wish nembhard would have applied for a waiver...ncaa seems to have granted them to pretty much everyone this year. that said, looks like cook can hold his own...

replay available anywhere???

Good Morning All!

I want to thank you all to chiming in with your posts about last night's KIK...

A strange thing happened last night...I have DISH and on Saturday, I went to Ch 412-16 and recorded KIK, which I do for EVERY GU game on Root Sports. KIK was scheduled to come on at 11pm EST, so instead of staying up and watching it, I went to bed looking forward to watching our TEAM play a scrimmage against each other. I have never seen KIK so this would be the first time BUT when I got up this AM there was no listing of GU's KIK. I am wondering if any of you other DISH subscribers had the same experience or maybe since I'm on the east coast I was just too far out of market?

Since I did miss this wonderful event, is there any way that I can catch this on another medium?

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Can’t read too much into anything. Michaelson said after the game that they kept things basic. I think they divided up the teams in such a way that we likely won’t see most of these lineups this year. The goal was to simulate some level of game action, and I think they achieved that. Can’t wait for Kansas!!!
    Coach speak, we seen what we seen. Caution, Timme was playing against unproven bench players, while Suggs was matching off with high level D1 talent. Watty did that thing again, where the dribbles into the paint and then just stops. We might have been sold the Brooklyn Bridge on Ballo; he’s a year away from being a year away. The two Euros didn’t look much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Coach speak, we seen what we seen. Caution, Timme was playing against unproven bench players, while Suggs was matching off with high level D1 talent. Watty did that thing again, where the dribbles into the paint and then just stops. We might have been sold the Brooklyn Bridge on Ballo; he’s a year away from being a year away. The two Euros didn’t look much improved.
    I'll agree on that one. Pavel and Marty will never be starters; there is just too much talent ahead of them. Jalen was amazing; I just hope he's not a one-and-done. He's not at Mike Bibby talent level (yet).