Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could we Start 3 Guards + Kispert?

Default Could we Start 3 Guards + Kispert?

In a recent interview with Coach Few, the moderator asked about Jalen Suggs and the guards and before going on and on about Suggs, Few went on and on about Aaron Cook and the leadership, skill and potential that he has to help the squad. I also recently saw a post where he looks pretty darn explosive even though he is 6'1. Averaged 15 ppg and 3 steals in a decent conference.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that we would start:

Cook 6'1
    Suggs 6'4
    Ayayi 6'5
    Kispert 6'7
    Timme 6'10

Few has gone "Small" before, has shown he gives priority to upperclassmen, and listening to how he spoke about Cook, even before talking about Suggs, makes me think he has big plans for Cook.

Thoughts?

- interesting question. my answer is the possibility is slim.
    - i think as far as a starting line up you will see watson starting. he has the potential of being the biggest game changer on the team.
    - not to say if coach wants to play a bit of small ball, these five could easily see floor time together.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    In a recent interview with Coach Few, the moderator asked about Jalen Suggs and the guards and before going on and on about Suggs, Few went on and on about Aaron Cook and the leadership, skill and potential that he has to help the squad. I also recently saw a post where he looks pretty darn explosive even though he is 6'1. Averaged 15 ppg and 3 steals in a decent conference.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that we would start:

Cook 6'1
    Suggs 6'4
    Ayayi 6'5
    Kispert 6'7
    Timme 6'10

Few has gone "Small" before, has shown he gives priority to upperclassmen, and listening to how he spoke about Cook, even before talking about Suggs, makes me think he has big plans for Cook.

Thoughts?
    I think Watson is in if Few goes 'small'. He will be our best defender. Advantages in defense and quickness are the reason you go small and Watson brings both of those.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Swap Watty for Kispert to bolster D and rebounding.

I think between Kispert and Watson you maybe end up seeing a lineup like that for 6 or 8 minutes a game on average over the course of the year.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

He mentioned expecting a 4 guard lineup in his interview with Villanova’s coach, if I recall properly. My initial thought was Kispert as the fourth “guard” at the 4 spot.

So many options this year...

How about 4 bigs with Suggs or Cook at the 1 and Kispert at the 2. Watson, Ballo, Timme and Zakharov. Strawther and Arlauskas subbing in.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    How about 4 bigs with Suggs or Cook at the 1 and Kispert at the 2. Watson, Ballo, Timme and Zakharov. Strawther and Arlauskas subbing in.
    I think I would rather see Watson at the 2 than Kispert just for defensive purposes.

Suggs, Watson, Straw, Timme, Ballo. That would be a fun rotation for 5 min a game.

How about they go with a point guard, a shooting guard, a small forward, a power forward and a center?

Or, they could go with five really good basketball players.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    How about they go with a point guard, a shooting guard, a small forward, a power forward and a center?

Or, they could go with five really good basketball players.
    Boo, you hopeless traditionalist.

As always, Few goes with what the defense offers. In our case, there’s so much talent and diversity of talent, any lineup thrown at the Zags can be managed with a variety of lineups as best I can tell, this is a championship team deep in most positions .

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Boo, you hopeless traditionalist.
    Hahahaha

On the podcast with (I believe) Rothstein, Few definitely mentioned with Petrusev leaving it might create more opportunities to go smaller with Kispert at the 4. The 3 man weave preview also had really compelling data on just how dominant Gonzaga was last season with Kispert at the 4 so I have little doubt the staff has delved into the deep analytics and sees the upside.

I also suspect Strawther could be a candidate to see some minutes at the 4 as well.

This team has a tremendous amount of flexibility and depth to run a real gamut of options from crazy big lineups to smaller lineups that can run you out of the gym. They could be historically special if all falls right.

That said, I doubt Kispert at the 4 will be the starting lineup. I think that's a lineup look you want to introduce later in a game to really change the flow. My money is on Timme-Watson-Kispert-Ayayi-Suggs as the starting lineup.

My guess is Zags start a more traditional lineup w Kispert at the 3 spot, Watson and Timme at 4 and 5 spots. Small ball lineup w Kispert at the 4 and three other shooters around big Ballo in the middle gives Zags a great change up lineup for 6-8 minutes per half.

Zakharov, Arlauskas and Strawther are the X factors for me in terms of players who may surprise and earn meaningful minutes or maybe RS. No idea what to expect from these Zags.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I believe we will see a lot of Small Ball this year. I believe one of the years that Villanova won the National Championship they played Small Ball. Also in the interview with Mark Few he felt that they might play a lot of Small Ball this year. Dom Harris hasn't been mentioned so far. I really like Dom's talent and feel we could see him play this year. One thing in that interview with Few that really caught my attention was Mark's statements about Ayayi improving in the off-season. That is really great news because Joel had improved so much last year, especially at the end of the year. My starting five is Suggs, Joel, Kispert, Watson and Timme. Few does like to play his experienced players. That is one of his trademarks, imo. Based on the interview with Few, I also agree that we're going to see a lot of Cook. Few really seemed to rave about him, which is unusual imo.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Just saying, who are the five best players?

Tough one Jazz. Watson, Kispert, Timme, Ayayi are pretty easy. But five is tough. Hope the hype on Suggs is real and he's #5, but I can't put an untested freshman there. I want it to be Ballo, but Few hasn't really talked him up. Nembhard might be #5 even though he's redshirting.

In terms of upside the top 3 have to be Suggs, Watty and Tims all projected first rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I believe we will see a lot of Small Ball this year. I believe one of the years that Villanova won the National Championship they played Small Ball. Also in the interview with Mark Few he felt that they might play a lot of Small Ball this year. Dom Harris hasn't been mentioned so far. I really like Dom's talent and feel we could see him play this year. One thing in that interview with Few that really caught my attention was Mark's statements about Ayayi improving in the off-season. That is really great news because Joel had improved so much last year, especially at the end of the year. My starting five is Suggs, Joel, Kispert, Watson and Timme. Few does like to play his experienced players. That is one of his trademarks, imo. Based on the interview with Few, I also agree that we're going to see a lot of Cook. Few really seemed to rave about him, which is unusual imo.

Go Zags!!!
    This four-guard lineup wouldn’t really fit the old GU definition of a “small ball lineup.” When I think of smaller lineups, I think of the Pangos-Bell-Stockton lineup of past seasons. Three of these guards are 6’4” or taller. It is an amazing luxury to have this many players with so much size and athleticism.

I agree with you about Harris. He is an excellent recruit. There have been seasons when a freshman with his ability and hustle would have stepped right into the starting rotation. It amazes me that we have enough talent that he may not crack the regular rotation.

In terms of upside the top 3 have to be Suggs, Watty and Tims all projected first rounders.
    Where have you seen anyone besides Suggs as a 1st rounder for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Where have you seen anyone besides Suggs as a 1st rounder for next year?
    Not next year. Eventually.

Not next year. Eventually.
    Where have you seen anyone besides Suggs as a 1st rounder eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Where have you seen anyone besides Suggs as a 1st rounder eventually?
    The obvious is right here. Jazz mentioned it.
    It's not funny.

The new video on Twitter with Kispert and Ayayi is remarkable because Joey is not that skinny kid from a couple seasons ago. He looks solid.
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams