Thread: The Iso podcast: Dan Dickau reconnects with Gonzaga’s Mark Few

Default The Iso podcast: Dan Dickau reconnects with Gonzaga’s Mark Few

Enjoyed the heck out of this podcast with Dan Dickau and Mark Few: https://scorebooklive.com/washington...agas-mark-few/

Just what the doctor ordered. Thank you for the link. Go Zags!

Thanks ZagNative you are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by HRZag View Post
    Just what the doctor ordered. Thank you for the link. Go Zags!
    Hey !!! Will have to check this out.

Hope all is well with you and Mrs. HRZag !!!

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Come here, honey! I want to kiss ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Thanks ZagNative you are the best.

That was fantastic, thanks for sharing!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Hondo rises.........it's been a while!

Thanks a million, ZagNative. As Hondo said, you are the best at finding so many things that keeps us Zag fans entertained at a high level. This is a super interview. Dan Dickkau does an outstanding job interviewing Coach Few. I was really impressed with Dan's questions. Dan, being the interviewer, steered the discussion, and he ran the interview as well as he always ran the GU offense back in the day. He started off with a discussion of scheduling, which I found to be very enlightening, and it's much tougher than I had imagined. He then proceeds into a great discussion of recruiting, and what I liked the best in that part of the interview was that no matter how good the players are, they must fit into the Gonzaga Culture. In other words, they MUST be ZAGS! Bottom line. The other thing I liked about this part of the interview was when Dan got Few to talk about the players that he wanted but missed out on. They talked about Luke Ridnauer who went to Oregon. I loved what Few said when he summed it up, something like...in the end it all works out the way it should. For instance when they missed out on Luke R, they ended up with Dan Dickau and Blake Stepp. I love the attitude that "everything always works out."

A very interesting part of the interview for me was Dickau asking Few about Coaching Development, and in particular, Few's development as a coach. Few's answer was just awesome. It was fantastic to see how Mark Few sees himself developing as a coach. I think to sum it up is that Few believes in open-mindedness and flexibility. He talked about his key to success is the ability to be open minded (for himself, but also open minded to what his assistants say) and to be able to adjust to the best style of the players he has year to year. He also talks about his learning from so many, many sources and in many many ways. He indicates that he learns a lot from watching games on TV and liking some particular thing he sees in a certain game. Few sums it all up by saying it's about being in a conscious learning mode. It really was awesome. I think we all, as aspiring citizens, can learn a lot from this.

Of course, I enjoyed Few's ideas of this years team. He feels they will definitely miss Petrusev, but has a lot of cool things to say about Kispert. I enjoyed that because I've always really liked Corey. He also feels like Ayayi has improved a lot and even in this off-season; so I'm anxious to see that improvement. And he has really very high things to say about Cook, which really gets me excited to see him play. I was surprised some that he didn't have too much to say about the incoming freshmen.

Dan then gets Few to talk about winning a Final Four, which has always been a topic that Mark Few has not liked to talk about. And he didn't like doing it in this interview as well. The first thing Coach said was, "I wish people would stop talking about it." ha ha ha...No surprise there. For Few the important thing is to build a team that will be in the running for winning one. He enjoys assembling a team that he feels can win it.

My favorite part of the interview is how Dan ends it by getting Few to talk about what he enjoys most about coaching, and I was so in awe of Few's statements. He says that the thing he really loves about coaching is watching what happens to his players AFTER they graduate and become men who inspire others. Men who become great family members, great fathers, great citizens that are pillars in their communities. That really touched my heart.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

If I am not mistaken by the picture at that link, it appears the Coach Few is taking a selfie.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Thanks for the link, ZN.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.