Thread: Jon Rothstein: WCC Preview

Default Jon Rothstein: WCC Preview

LINK: https://collegehoopstoday.com/index....eason-preview/

Which Gonzaga player is about to become a national star?

Drew Timme. Gonzaga lost a first-team All-American when Filip Petrusev opted to play professionally rather than return to school for his junior season, but his departure opens the door for Timme to break out. The 6-10 big man averaged 9.8 points and 5.4 rebounds in just 20.5 minutes last season as a freshman while shooting an astronomical 62.1 percent from the field. Expect Timme’s numbers to spike as a sophomore as he becomes a featured interior presence on each and every possession.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Fun article. Interesting that Oumar Ballo is not listed in ANY category at end of story. I expect he'll be a "breakout player"

Smile Pre-season Prediction Time -- such fun!

Rothstein knows the WCC better than most, pays more attention. His pick for the WCC's #5 team, St. Mary's, thus generates for this fan some surprise. Randy Bennett always seems to exceed expectations when losing a lot of valuable pieces and "reloading." Here's hoping the Bennett magic works again with a really competitive (and healthy) team. If so, and if Rothstein's SMC ranking still proves true, the WCC will be strong.

On the other hand, if this's the year Bennett doesn't perform his usual magic, no telling how the league's top teams fare on the national stage. Pepperdine looked solid last year, then had two big-time injuries. Here's hoping for a healthy Waves team this time round and the success this season that this fan thought Pepperdine would have last season. LMU's going to be really fun to watch. It seems to be getting a lot of positive press. And the expectation that BYU will now be an annual player on the national level, with Coach Pope, can only be a boost to the conference and its top teams's recruiting.

Thanks for sharing, Reno.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Fun article. Interesting that Oumar Ballo is not listed in ANY category at end of story. I expect he'll be a "breakout player"
    Ballo will be a breakout player on the national stage, not just within the WCC.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Timme is the easiest sure thing for writers to mention. His stats are great in limited minutes, and he is clearly about to be getting a lot more minutes. Oumar Ballo has been out of the spotlight since arriving on campus. He’ll have major impact as well, but don’t discount Zakharov either. The quality of the front court is going to be depth as much as any one player starring.

We have the talent for a FF run. Beyond the S 16 we’ll need luck to go with all this superior talent. We being as no 1 -3. Let’s not disappoint such a great season coming up.

Few on Rothstein's College Hoops Today podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/compass-media...season-preview

Interview starts around the 5 minute mark

Mark Few was Jay Wright's podcast guest on "Talking Villanova Basketball."

Link is here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/48z...QQKdz7Ul6azIgw

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Drew Timme > Filip Petrusev

Just ask Dick Vitale.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    Drew Timme > Filip Petrusev

Just ask Dick Vitale.
    Or anyone with even two eyes.

So pumped Hoops is happening.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    So pumped Hoops is happening.
    Yes, pumped indeed.

Let me digress, however. Every time I visit this site I am saddened. Mostly, it’s because it’s a shadow of what it once was, and none of it relates to the team’s performance. Rather, divisions manifested themselves within this community. Some left, others stayed, but the “magic” of community has been sullied to some extent. I hope these divisions can be overcome.

Well there were ones who left. Many different reasons. COVID didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Arguing over a disease was very wrong. Ended up being a Crosby Board discussion. Blew up the boards and generated I’ll will. I do hope time will do what time does: heals all wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Doc (et al) ... in the 20+ years you and I (and others) have been involved with this board (and the other incarnations) we've seen good people come and go. I clearly recall the "expertise" of mikeness ... who knew more than anybody who ever coached basketball and didn't hesitate in sharing his knowledge and insights at the drop of a hat. In fact, it's hard to believe that Mark Few guy has done okay the last couple of decades without mikeness' help. But mikeness went by the wayside. We've lost others to attrition and others waaaaaaaay to early (still miss you, El Voce). And this year we've lost more. And each on of us has lost more than just guboards members ... due to events that have impacted much more than simply Gonzaga Basketball.

But the good news is those of us that are here are STILL here .... GU hoops is starting up and there WILL be basketball to talk about.

And the tiny, "little engine that could" is still chugging along. And we're no long that "little engine" .... and it's been fun and rewarding to watch it grow.

Of course there are more folks who are interested in Zag hoops than we had during those "mikeness" days .... but the bottom line for me is "the future's so bright ... gotta wear shades”. GoZags
    Last edited by GoZags; 09-30-2020 at 04:33 PM.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Doc (et al) ... in the 20+ years you and I (and others) have been involved with this board (and the other incarnations) we've seen good people come and go. I clearly recall the "expertise" of mikeness ... who knew more than anybody who ever coached basketball and didn't hesitate in sharing his knowledge and insights at the drop of a hat. In fact, it's hard to believe that Mark Few guy has done okay the last couple of decades without mikeness' help. But mikeness went by the wayside. We've lost others to attrition and others waaaaaaaay to early (still miss you, El Voce). And this year we've lost more. And each on of us has lost more than just guboards members ... due to events that have impacted much more than simply Gonzaga Basketball.

But the good news is those of us that are here are STILL here .... GU hoops is starting up and there WILL be basketball to talk about.

And the tiny, "little engine that could" is still chugging along. And we're no long that "little engine" .... and it's been fun and rewarding to watch it grow.

Of course there are more folks who are interested in Zag hoops than we had during those "mikeness" days .... but the bottom line for me is "the future's so bright ... gotta wear shades”. GoZags
    Right on GZ... +1000

Go Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Didn’t Mikeness inspire the now infamous“How to make a burrito” post

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Didn’t Mikeness inspire the now infamous“How to make a burrito” post
    Birddog for threeeeeee !!!

Nothing but twine.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

As already mentioned, Ballo will have a breakout year and help fuel a FF run for the Zags. I know everyone is hyping Suggs but his team USA offensive performance was less than spectacular. I feel that Aaron Cooke will be a very pleasant surprise and will earn more minutes as he proves himself. Having closely followed the developments at BYU, I think they will be better than last year. They have an incredible "sleeper" in jc transfer Gideon George who can play 3-4 on offenses at 1-5 on defense. They are absolutely loaded and just as deep if not deeper than the Zags. Adding Averette is huge and I can seen them going very tall with using George to guard 1 or 2 and then dropping down as a 3 on offense and using one of their bigs to shoot from the perimeter. Don't sleep on this team.

Although Pepperdine is poised for success this year and San Francisco has great guards, I think St. Marys could exceed expectations, especially if Van Komen gets a waiver. The key will be how well their freshman perform. Jabe Mullins is not only an incredible talent but a strong leader with excellent character. He has a way of making everyone around him perform better. Looking for great thing in the WCC this year and send a minimum of two teams to the big dance and Zags toward a national title.

Smile WCC!

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    As already mentioned, Ballo will have a breakout year and help fuel a FF run for the Zags. I know everyone is hyping Suggs but his team USA offensive performance was less than spectacular. I feel that Aaron Cooke will be a very pleasant surprise and will earn more minutes as he proves himself. Having closely followed the developments at BYU, I think they will be better than last year. They have an incredible "sleeper" in jc transfer Gideon George who can play 3-4 on offenses at 1-5 on defense. They are absolutely loaded and just as deep if not deeper than the Zags. Adding Averette is huge and I can seen them going very tall with using George to guard 1 or 2 and then dropping down as a 3 on offense and using one of their bigs to shoot from the perimeter. Don't sleep on this team.

Although Pepperdine is poised for success this year and San Francisco has great guards, I think St. Marys could exceed expectations, especially if Van Komen gets a waiver. The key will be how well their freshman perform. Jabe Mullins is not only an incredible talent but a strong leader with excellent character. He has a way of making everyone around him perform better. Looking for great thing in the WCC this year and send a minimum of two teams to the big dance and Zags toward a national title.
    Nice post, CPk. Fun to read. I'll have to check out those names you mentioned for BYU. If the Cougars can be as formidable as last year or better, that's nothing but good for the conference in the eyes of the NCAA Tournament and b-ball fans in general.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post

I completely agree with you on BYU and have said it here more than once. They are huge and talented. I don't think the pundits are given them enough credit. Mark Pope is an excellent recruiter.

ditto,
    last ranking i saw for BYU pre season was 48
    i hope they get into the top 25 asap, we need them to be good
    we need the whole WCC to keep rising
    we need St. mary's to continue as a strong team, especially since Bennett has decided to play a few non cupcake teams in the pre-season
    Ever since GU seemed on the verge of changing conferences, i think i have seen a rise in the whole WCC mens
    basketball level