• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Well there were ones who left. Many different reasons. COVID didn't help.
    Doc (et al) ... in the 20+ years you and I (and others) have been involved with this board (and the other incarnations) we've seen good people come and go. I clearly recall the "expertise" of mikeness ... who knew more than anybody who ever coached basketball and didn't hesitate in sharing his knowledge and insights at the drop of a hat. In fact, it's hard to believe that Mark Few guy has done okay the last couple of decades without mikeness' help. But mikeness went by the wayside. We've lost others to attrition and others waaaaaaaay to early (still miss you, El Voce). And this year we've lost more. And each on of us has lost more than just guboards members ... due to events that have impacted much more than simply Gonzaga Basketball.

But the good news is those of us that are here are STILL here .... GU hoops is starting up and there WILL be basketball to talk about.

And the tiny, "little engine that could" is still chugging along. And we're no long that "little engine" .... and it's been fun and rewarding to watch it grow.

Of course there are more folks who are interested in Zag hoops than we had during those "mikeness" days .... but the bottom line for me is "the future's so bright ... gotta wear shades”. GoZags
    Last edited by GoZags; 09-30-2020, 04:33 PM.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• bigblahla
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
      Doc (et al) ... in the 20+ years you and I (and others) have been involved with this board (and the other incarnations) we've seen good people come and go. I clearly recall the "expertise" of mikeness ... who knew more than anybody who ever coached basketball and didn't hesitate in sharing his knowledge and insights at the drop of a hat. In fact, it's hard to believe that Mark Few guy has done okay the last couple of decades without mikeness' help. But mikeness went by the wayside. We've lost others to attrition and others waaaaaaaay to early (still miss you, El Voce). And this year we've lost more. And each on of us has lost more than just guboards members ... due to events that have impacted much more than simply Gonzaga Basketball.

But the good news is those of us that are here are STILL here .... GU hoops is starting up and there WILL be basketball to talk about.

And the tiny, "little engine that could" is still chugging along. And we're no long that "little engine" .... and it's been fun and rewarding to watch it grow.

Of course there are more folks who are interested in Zag hoops than we had during those "mikeness" days .... but the bottom line for me is "the future's so bright ... gotta wear shades”. GoZags
      Right on GZ... +1000

Go Zags!!!
      "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Didn’t Mikeness inspire the now infamous“How to make a burrito” post
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
          Didn’t Mikeness inspire the now infamous“How to make a burrito” post
          Birddog for threeeeeee !!!

Nothing but twine.
          sigpic
          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
          ——-
          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• CPkZagFan
            Kennel Club Material
            • Mar 2019

As already mentioned, Ballo will have a breakout year and help fuel a FF run for the Zags. I know everyone is hyping Suggs but his team USA offensive performance was less than spectacular. I feel that Aaron Cooke will be a very pleasant surprise and will earn more minutes as he proves himself. Having closely followed the developments at BYU, I think they will be better than last year. They have an incredible "sleeper" in jc transfer Gideon George who can play 3-4 on offenses at 1-5 on defense. They are absolutely loaded and just as deep if not deeper than the Zags. Adding Averette is huge and I can seen them going very tall with using George to guard 1 or 2 and then dropping down as a 3 on offense and using one of their bigs to shoot from the perimeter. Don't sleep on this team.

Although Pepperdine is poised for success this year and San Francisco has great guards, I think St. Marys could exceed expectations, especially if Van Komen gets a waiver. The key will be how well their freshman perform. Jabe Mullins is not only an incredible talent but a strong leader with excellent character. He has a way of making everyone around him perform better. Looking for great thing in the WCC this year and send a minimum of two teams to the big dance and Zags toward a national title.

Comment

• Kiddwell
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

WCC!

Originally posted by CPkZagFan View Post
              As already mentioned, Ballo will have a breakout year and help fuel a FF run for the Zags. I know everyone is hyping Suggs but his team USA offensive performance was less than spectacular. I feel that Aaron Cooke will be a very pleasant surprise and will earn more minutes as he proves himself. Having closely followed the developments at BYU, I think they will be better than last year. They have an incredible "sleeper" in jc transfer Gideon George who can play 3-4 on offenses at 1-5 on defense. They are absolutely loaded and just as deep if not deeper than the Zags. Adding Averette is huge and I can seen them going very tall with using George to guard 1 or 2 and then dropping down as a 3 on offense and using one of their bigs to shoot from the perimeter. Don't sleep on this team.

Although Pepperdine is poised for success this year and San Francisco has great guards, I think St. Marys could exceed expectations, especially if Van Komen gets a waiver. The key will be how well their freshman perform. Jabe Mullins is not only an incredible talent but a strong leader with excellent character. He has a way of making everyone around him perform better. Looking for great thing in the WCC this year and send a minimum of two teams to the big dance and Zags toward a national title.
              Nice post, CPk. Fun to read. I'll have to check out those names you mentioned for BYU. If the Cougars can be as formidable as last year or better, that's nothing but good for the conference in the eyes of the NCAA Tournament and b-ball fans in general.

:]
              Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• jsnider
                Kennel Club
                • Apr 2020

Originally posted by CPkZagFan View Post

I completely agree with you on BYU and have said it here more than once. They are huge and talented. I don't think the pundits are given them enough credit. Mark Pope is an excellent recruiter.
                Love the Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

ditto,
                  last ranking i saw for BYU pre season was 48
                  i hope they get into the top 25 asap, we need them to be good
                  we need the whole WCC to keep rising
                  we need St. mary's to continue as a strong team, especially since Bennett has decided to play a few non cupcake teams in the pre-season
                  Ever since GU seemed on the verge of changing conferences, i think i have seen a rise in the whole WCC mens
                  basketball level

Comment

Working...
                  X