Thread: So the number of games has been reduced from 31 to 27, so....

Smile So the number of games has been reduced from 31 to 27, so....

...if the Zags play the "regular season's" full 27 games, how many will they need to have another 30-win season? Okay, here's my shaky math:

27 Regular Season Games
    2 WCC Tournament Games
    3 NCAA Tournament Games
    ---
    32 Total Games

If we play a fourth NCAA game, that is, an Elite 8 game, that's 33. If we play the Final Four, that's 34. If we play the National Title Game, that's 35. Do we make the "Magic-30?" I wonder.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I think that every team will get the same. This is good. Well have a good season. I’ve not been to campus since August. Anyone know if practices have begun??

Smile

Hi, Abe

I guess I'm asking, by playing four less games this season, can we/will we have enough games to hit Magic-30 wins? If we make the Sweet 16 game and lose, we need 30 wins before that game. If we make the Elite 8 and lose, we need 30 wins before that game. A very narrow margin for error (losses).

Of course we don't know how our OOC schedule's going to pan out, but without those four extra games (probably a normal year's cupcakes), Magic-30 is going to be really, really hard. This fan wonders if anyone will win 30 this year. It'd be especially impressive if some team did. It'd be awesome if that team was Gonzaga.

Agreed........

That means that pundits will put an asterisk next to the undefeated national championship season.

Winning 30 means bupkis. How many south by southwest teachers states can you devour? Only thing that matters is winning your last game.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Winning 30 means bupkis. How many south by southwest teachers states can you devour? Only thing that matters is winning your last game.
    And there you have the raised expectations that comes with success. Sure, the ultimate goal is to win the whole thing, but calling 30 wins bupkis seems a bit dismissive. Love ya jazz, but a thirty win season is not a failure.

I’ll give you this. Maybe the sub 300 schools should be counted as half a win. Then again, most of the top twenty have a handful on their schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    And there you have the raised expectations that comes with success. Sure, the ultimate goal is to win the whole thing, but calling 30 wins bupkis seems a bit dismissive. Love ya jazz, but a thirty win season is not a failure.

I’ll give you this. Maybe the sub 300 schools should be counted as half a win. Then again, most of the top twenty have a handful on their schedule.
    Bupkis is not Yiddish for failure, Marko. I’m just saying in this Alice in Wonderland season thirty wins is close to meaningless, particularly when compared to performance in the Dance. Of course I have heightened expectations. Recall when Few would assert his top priority is winning the regular season? Now even he openly talks about titles. And you’re right. More than a couple of our last couple of years’ 30 wins have been vs hide your eyes, weak teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    ...if the Zags play the "regular season's" full 27 games, how many will they need to have another 30-win season? Okay, here's my shaky math:

27 Regular Season Games
    2 WCC Tournament Games
    3 NCAA Tournament Games
    ---
    32 Total Games

If we play a fourth NCAA game, that is, an Elite 8 game, that's 33. If we play the Final Four, that's 34. If we play the National Title Game, that's 35. Do we make the "Magic-30?" I wonder.

If GU wins 30 games, it will set an NCAA record with 5 consecutive seasons with 30 wins. They are currently tied with Kansas and Villanova.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ketball-season

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Club Prez View Post
    If GU wins 30 games, it will set an NCAA record with 5 consecutive seasons with 30 wins. They are currently tied with Kansas and Villanova.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ketball-season
    That'd be pretty awesome, Prez. Thanks for sharing. Here's for milestones and more.