Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ben Gregg Commit Official!

29th ranked recruit --- I am thinking he will be fine when he is called on.

Often kids come and are highly ranked but growth is important. When these newbies play a season with the major league recruits, they improve and learn new dimensions. I'm thinking Ben is a solid kid who will do the work. Videos show he's really got the goods but will need some development. I like this recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagY15 View Post
    He is all of 6'8". I watched him play this last year a handful of times. Was very surprised we offered him. Kaden Perry IMO will be a better prospect. Ben is slow footed, not very strong, and does not jump very well. He can shoot though and handle the ball well for a big guy. I wanted him play against Bittle who committed to Oregon and he got his lunch absolutely handed to him. I thought well I guess that's the difference between a 4 star and a 5 star, but then watched Perry play against Bittle and he held his own. Bittle is a special talent, but I don't see Gregg contributing until his senior, maybe junior year. If he is a big time contributor early on I don't think that would be a good sign.
    Hmmm. Seems to me you are ingrained in the camp of one of the kids you have referenced in your post and perhaps you are viewing this recruit through your Green and Yellow glasses.

I will take the insights of Fewie, Brian et al over yours.

But thanks for registering on guboards, finding Ben’s thread and slamming our guy.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Smile Not to pile on...

...but the top two schools in the PAC-12, Oregon and Arizona, offered Ben. Arizona, apparently, from info elsewhere, really wanted him. USC also offered (w/Oregon State and WSU). Other offers from national b-ball schools too (e.g. Texas Tech).

247 Sports has Ben in their composite Top-60. Further, Ben says he used the COVID shutdown to work on his strength. Further still, Ben reports he's now 6'10". Appreciate you sharing your viewpoint, ZagY15, but this fan's viewpoint is that every team on the West Coast (and beyond) would salivate to have Ben...

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Hmmm. Seems to me you are ingrained in the camp of one of the kids you have referenced in your post and perhaps you are viewing this recruit through your Green and Yellow glasses.

I will take the insights of Fewie, Brian et al over yours.

But thanks for registering on guboards, finding Ben’s thread and slamming our guy.
    Yep! I love that his family has Spokane roots and Gonzaga is his dream school. I am already a big fan. Uncommon humility for a high level player.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by ZagY15 View Post
    He is all of 6'8". I watched him play this last year a handful of times. Was very surprised we offered him. Kaden Perry IMO will be a better prospect. Ben is slow footed, not very strong, and does not jump very well. He can shoot though and handle the ball well for a big guy. I wanted him play against Bittle who committed to Oregon and he got his lunch absolutely handed to him. I thought well I guess that's the difference between a 4 star and a 5 star, but then watched Perry play against Bittle and he held his own. Bittle is a special talent, but I don't see Gregg contributing until his senior, maybe junior year. If he is a big time contributor early on I don't think that would be a good sign.
    Quack, quack, quack, quack and quack quack quack!

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

If this kid’s 6 ft 10 in, and he works hard, he might not last 4 years! Videos show he’s got tons of talent , great frame and has a good feel for the game . He could end up being a monster for us. Getting more interesting. Kids well I remember him growing from late spring but didn’t know he shot up that much!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

It is a Duck.

Ducky, Just Leave It.

Seem like two fine young men.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Seem like two fine young men.
    Bigtime ....

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Looking at that BOX and the video I caught up with, Ben did NOT have his "lunch" d to him. He seems to have outplayed the Oregon recruit......close but he did fine. Looks like bitter pills dropping in.....and for what??? When do we beat Oregon. Like Dana...knew him from Creighton. He's trending towards thievin' (lololol) but he's got to produce!.

Yeah, that was my first impression
    Last edited by packlite; 10-20-2020 at 05:26 PM.

even if gregg doesn't get significant time until he's an upperclassmen wouldn't mean he's a disappointment or a bust...zags are going to continue to be elite at least through the next few years and the recruiting is trending up. not every guy the zags bring in is going to be ready to contribute day 1, and he very well might end up playing behind a couple of nba-bound guys. just look at the development path of a guy like ayayi....or a closer comparison might be someone like olynyk. everyone forgets about their frosh & soph years now, but back when...always good to remember zags have strong record of developing guys, so i find it funny some here are already writing off zakhorov and arlauskas.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!
    IIRC, Alex Lifeson's acceptance speech at the Rock and Roll HOF sounded quite like bigblahla's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Bigtime ....
    My favorite pic from that story is the two bigs on the floor fighting for the ball. But, that's just me.

ben gregg
    @bengregg20
    Sitting in the airport on my way to a tournament...man I’ve missed this

What tournament would he be going to?
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    What tournament would he be going to?
    Probably the same one Chet Holmgren and others listed in Arizona.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-flight-invite

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Probably the same one Chet Holmgren and others listed in Arizona.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-flight-invite

The three-day tournament will be featured on the national stage on Sunday, with the first of four games starting at 1 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Anyone tune in??

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Anyone tune in??
    I recorded the games. Hopefully I can watch them this week.

Saw some minutes. Top rated players were pretty thinly spread among teams. Hardy was in the title game. Holmgren went out in the semis.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Big Ben is OK but i like
    Vanilla Gorilla more
    All hail the Vanilla Gorilla !! If the fans can come back next season, I get to see him live at LMU or Pepperdine. Here's hoping COVID-19 goes away.