• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Few optimistic season can happen "in the bubble"

Coach Few talks to Jim Meehan about playing a season "in the bubble", from Wednesday's edition of the Spokane Spokesman-Review:

• JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

“If our kids could vote, it would be (to play) by 98% to 2% and those two were walk-ons or guys that were mad they’re not playing,” Calipari said. “If you talk to coaches, they want to play. Now it becomes how do we do it safely?

“Well, we’re talking about pods. The way has been shown by the WNBA and the NBA. Before you leave campus, you’re tested. When you arrive before you play a game, you’re tested. If there are teams there and one of them has a player test positive, they’re just out of it, and whoever is left keeps playing.”
    I know these are college-aged persons who are typically more impulsive and prone to risk-taking that your average middle-ager, but I can't think of more motivation to do whatever it takes to protect yourself when your team will forfeit your game in the tournament because one of you gets sick. There will be a lot of people keeping each other accountable, I imagine.

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

This is a great article, and very positive. Few is very positive that there will be a season, and it appears that they will be using the bubble idea as it has been used by many professional teams. I'm pretty excited after reading the article.

Go Zags!!!
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• tinfoilzag
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2009

I'm one of the few that is optimistic as more data comes in.
        The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
          I am probably optimistic to a fault, but there are a lot of good reasons to feel the way you do, in my opinion.

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Hope they keep the people around who can help to get the basketball season moving.

Memo: NCAA to furlough its entire staff for 3-8 weeks

The NCAA will furlough its entire Indianapolis-based staff of about 600 employees for three to eight weeks in a cost-saving move.

Comment

• Section 116
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Thanks for the link Zagdawg. The financial hits from Covid seem to land everywhere!

Comment

• Markburn1
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                Hope they keep the people around who can help to get the basketball season moving.

Memo: NCAA to furlough its entire staff for 3-8 weeks

https://apnews.com/667a0ead17d001842077077e273e51fd
                Well, that's certainly an incentive to get a basketball season played.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Q1: How many games, not including the tournament, do you think will we get to see this year?

Q2: Will the WCC have the ability to use some sort of a pod system to get a season played?
                  It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• GoZags
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NotoriousZ View Post
                    Q1: How many games, not including the tournament, do you think will we get to see this year?

Q2: Will the WCC have the ability to use some sort of a pod system to get a season played?
                    Just a guess ...

Q 1 20-24
                    Q 2 yes
                    sigpic
                    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                    ——-
                    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
                      I am actually more optimistic, too, about the adherence to the rules working, much more so than a month ago.

But I do try to taper it by acknowledging that we don't know what (if anything) changes when it gets cold and kids are back in school. We know it won't help.

But I thought there was 0% chance for a regular season, only some super huge tournament, but hearing about bubble ideas even in college is impressive and they're learning how to do them right with the NBA/NHL spending all their millions learning lessons.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2009

Wondering how the coaches, and specifically MF are with the NCAA going on furlough? Coaches and players are on the bus but NCAA leaves them out in the cold to plan and coordinate anything?
                        One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

Working...
                        X