Thread: RIP John Thompson

Default RIP John Thompson

Big East basketball. Early afternoon after high school basketball practice on the West Coast via ESPN. UConn, St. Johns, Villanova, Syracuse. Ewing, Mullins, Pinkney, Villanueva. Massimino, Carnesecca, Boeheim, and John Thompson.

Never liked the way Georgetown played, but had to respect them. They were the villains on purpose. Intimidators. It worked.

RIP Mr. Thompson.

Very sad news. I really loved this man, and admired the way he coached, and the way his teams played. When he was the ooach, Georgetown was my favorite team outside of Gonzaga and Arizona. Yes. I loved the Lute Olsen coached teams better. What I liked about Georgetown was how tough they were. And Thompson was able to recruit players that were all about 6-7, 6-8 with 7'0" or more wingspans. They remind me a lot of Syracuse.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Wow, two icons of a golden era of college basketball gone within a few days. More sad news.

And so the media hagiography begins. My take. Complicated man, a myopic visionary

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    And so the media hagiography begins. My take. Complicated man, a myopic visionary
    Never a fan of Georgetown...it took UTEP doing a 2 for 1 deal to get Georgetown to come to El Paso. I understand it, but I thought it was disrespectful to Coach Haskins.

Arizona-UTEP was quite a rivalry, too. RIP to two great coaches.