Thread: Laura Stockton's Return to WBB

Default Laura Stockton's Return to WBB

"Laura Stockton is heading to Europe. The point guard signed with German team TC Herner on Friday. Former Zags Haiden Palmer and Sunny Greinacher have played for the club in the past. ... Stockton tore her ACL at the WCC Tournament in 2019 and has been recovering from the injury ever since. This will mark her first competitive basketball since tearing her ACL. ... She's going to a solid squad as TC Herner plays in the top league in Germany and are the reigning league and German Cup champions. They were 13-8 last year before their season was shut down due to Coronavirus.

"I am delighted to have Laura on our team," said Laura's new head coach, Marek Piotrowski. "During her time in Gonzaga she proved that she can lead a team at a higher level. As a player, Laura can set accents in both offense and defense. She is a team player. In addition, I have only had good experiences with players from Gonzaga so far."

Can anyone tell me how one sets an accent?

The article includes a nice video clip as well.

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...5-1c35e9630270
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Thanks SLOZag,

ZagDad

[QUOTE
    Can anyone tell me how one sets an accent?

[/QUOTE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZNnGp7XM0
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Mucho obliged!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

A little late to the party, but here is the AP's report on LS.

Laura Stockton, daughter of Utah Jazz great John Stockton, to play in Germany
    Associated Press
    Aug 24, 2020

HERNE, Germany -- It must be the bratwurst that keeps bringing the children of retired Utah Jazz great John Stockton to Germany. The basketball, too.

Laura Stockton is the fourth child of the NBA legend to sign a professional contract to play in Germany. Her older siblings Michael, David and Lindsay have all played in the basketball Bundesliga.

"This has given me the opportunity to visit Germany many times and learn about and get comfortable with the lifestyle there, which is very different from America," Stockton said in a statement sent by her new club, Herner TC, to The Associated Press on Monday.

Herner TC, which competes in Germany's top league, signed Stockton for the 2020-21 season.

The 5-foot-8 guard played four seasons for Gonzaga and amassed 459 career assists before she tore an ACL during the West Coast Conference tournament in March 2019. She's been rehabbing her left knee since then.

"I am delighted to have Laura on our team," Herner TC coach Marek Piotrowski said in the team's statement, echoing Friday's announcement of the signing. "During her time at Gonzaga, she proved that she can lead a team at a higher level."

Piotrowski also cited his "good experiences with players from Gonzaga" at Herner TC, including Sonja Greinacher and Haiden Palmer.

Michael Stockton has played for two German teams, most recently Gottingen. The 31-year-old point guard now plays in France. David Stockton had one season in Germany and currently plays in the G League for the South Bay Lakers. Lindsay Stockton played for Weiterstadt in 2016.

Laura Stockton, who has two younger brothers, said her family's competitive spirit "has translated to the basketball court and made me the player I am today."

Germany was an easy choice, she added.

"I'm looking forward to be able to see more of the country and eating more of the delicious German food."

Herner TC, located near Dortmund, was 13-8 in March when the league was cancelled because of the coronavirus.

John Stockton played 19 seasons for the Jazz and holds the NBA record for assists (15,806). A point guard, Stockton played on the US Olympic "Dream Team" in 1992 and is a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
    Article Link: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...n-play-germany

ZagDad

From the Spokesman Review:

Professional Dream Delayed, Laura Stockton Keeps Family Basketball Tradition Alive in Germany
    UPDATED: Wed., Aug. 26, 2020
    By Connor Gilbert

Laura Stockton always knew she was going to play competitive basketball again somewhere.

She’s the daughter of an NBA Hall of Famer, a member of the region’s most well-known basketball family – it’s what she does. She plays.

“Oh, yeah, that’s totally always been the plan,” Stockton said. “It’s always been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I knew I wanted to keep playing. I wanted to play college and then I wanted to be a pro at some level or another.”

A gruesome, season-ending ACL tear in the West Coast Conference Tournament her senior year in 2019 didn’t preclude that dream. It just delayed it a little.

Now, after more than a year of rehab – a period which Stockton admitted was the longest she’s gone without playing competitive basketball – she’s ready to go. On Friday, Herner TC, a German team that plays in the Bundesliga, announced that Stockton had signed a deal to join the squad for the upcoming season.

Last season, Herner TC finished third in the Bundesliga with a 13-8 record when the season was cancelled, but won the Bundesliga title and German Cup in 2019.

Stockton agreed to the deal three months ago, but the team waited to announce it, as it does with most new signings. In the meantime, she had to keep it secret from almost everyone except for family and close friends.

Former Zags Sunny Greinacher and Haiden Palmer both played for the club previously, but Stockton said she didn’t need to talk to them to know it was the right move. The fact that they both played on the team was enough indication for her.

“Once I heard that they were on the team, I was like, ‘Oh, this is legit.’ … I felt confident,” she said.

“I am delighted to have Laura on our team,” Herner TC coach Marek Piotrowski said in the team’s statement. “During her time at Gonzaga, she proved that she can lead a team at a higher level.”

Over those four years at Gonzaga, three while filling starting point guard duties, Stockton amassed 459 assists – good for third all time in the program.
    You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...kton-keeps-fa/

ZagDad