• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
    thanks

Will fans be able to attend the games? Or do they know at this point? Are they planning for fans to attend or just the teams playing without fans, like what is being done in the NBA.
    No fans in any bubble. Plus, the full basketball court in the Volkar Center was built for practice ... not for games with spectators.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• scrooner
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
      Too early to tell Reborn. Follow the course of Covid. Mortality 3% today and falling ...
      I'm curious why you regularly post mortality rates while not mentioning other long-term issues caused by COVID. Players who catch it and survive could still end up with career-ending problems.

Edited to read "mortality", not "morbidity", which was inadvertent.
      Last edited by scrooner; 08-15-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
        I'm curious why you regularly post morbidity rates while not mentioning other long-term issues caused by COVID. Players who catch it and survive could still end up with career-ending problems.
        A very small point of order, but I think you are referring to mortality rates when discussing deaths, not long-term health issues. Morbidity would be what you are referring to with chronic heart disease. Persons can have heart valve damage and do very well for many years if they take care of themselves. The same goes for lung disease. I don't think we will know the long term effects of Covid for many years. There was a case of a baseball player who didn't get to play the MLB season this year due to myocarditis, but the article stated that he would recover but just not in time to play.

Hospitalization rates for young persons due to Covid-19 is very low, with 1% of those less than 18, 2-3% for age less than 19, and it goes up from there. Another report shows 30 per 100,000 in the college age group is hospitalized (0.03%) I wouldn't expect mild cases of Covid-19 to cause career threatening lung or heart problems, and I would sincerely appreciate any data from anyone who has it that would set the record straight on that.

Meanwhile, excess deaths this week are very close to the annual average for this week of the year.

We may be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

COVID-19 can result in severe disease, including hospitalization, admission to an intensive care unit, and death, especially among older adults. Everyone can take actions, such as social distancing...

As of September 26, the hospitalization rate in the United States due to COVID-19 was highest for those aged 85 years and older.

ETA:
        Rt values are below 1 now for over half of the states in the U.S, and very close to 1 for most of the states. Any number less than 1, if sustained with PPE, social distancing, etc results in the virus fizzling out over time without further intervention.

Up-to-date values for Rt — the number to watch to measure COVID spread.

I hope this doesn't derail things too much and I won't comment further (aside from clarifying any of the above or acknowledging corrections) or debate the above so that I don't contribute further to another thread being shut down.

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Stick to basketball. SInce COVID seems to be the source of why we didn't finish the season and determines whether we has some sort of upcoming season, I focus on mortality. In this set of healthy players, there is almost NO "catching it"and I don't know of a death in this healthy group of young players. Rare for anyone in the age group to not recover to a normal life. There are a few as you've pointed out Scrooner but those rare ones are not in shape basketball players under 23.

And your last sentence involves a possibility we haven't seen yet. I suppose in some situation we might see that but it's a scenario not seen yet......so why talk about thea situation we haven't seen when the issue is really healthy young basketball players in college. Some NBA players tested positive in the early going but they either wern't sick or showed no symptoms whihc means there was nothing to recover to.

In depth attention to this disease will also get this thread closed. a simple number (3%) is a bottom line number.And one that's improving. No reason to explore "what if's" or the "could be's" since that would lead to nowhere but would fire up a conversation we don't want on this board.

Comment

• Jedster
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Oct 2009

I saw two interesting reads today. One discussing the potential long-term effects of Covid, called the "long-haulers". At the end of the day there is so much more unknown about Covid then known.

The coronavirus causes some to get sick for weeks — for others, the side effect linger for months. Yahoo Life talks to "long haulers" about their new battle.

Then there was this tidbit today also about a new quick result (and cheap) saliva test getting emergency FDA approval.

I bring both of these up, not to debate Covid, but these articles provide some reference that we can use as people make decisions about how to return to normal....and what we are focusing on....having a GU season this year. If we could have a quick result Covid test that can be widely distributed and used, that would go a long ways to having a season. Probably in a bubble, but I'd take that in a heartbeat today.

Comment

• scrooner
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

If you don't want a response to your comments about COVID or media fear, best stick to basketball yourself.

I think it's fair to be concerned about someone picking up a heart condition, reduced lung capacity, or something that requires months or years to recover from (or that they never recover from), which ends their season or career, and what the likelihood of that is. "Rare" is a loaded term. I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing it's higher than the mortality rate.

Edited to remove anything that could be construed as "nasty".
              Last edited by scrooner; 08-16-2020, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• scrooner
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

[QUOTE=Jedster;1524715]https://us.yahoo.com/lifestyle/covid...210633981.html

That article discusses Karyn Bishoff, a 30yo firefighter and paramedic. She sounds like someone who was pretty healthy before COVID.

"I feel helpless. Before, I went to Orange Theory [fitness studio] five or six days a week. Now a flight of stairs exhausts me. I can’t play soccer, ride bikes or go to the pool with my son. I feel so much mom guilt, like I’m an absent mom. I’m unemployed and I don’t know what kind of work I’ll be able to tolerate in the future.

I have intense fatigue, insomnia and headaches daily. My vision is cloudy and my eyes feel heavy. I have brain fog and nerve pain which feels like burning or electrical shocks. I have dizzy spells, vertigo and hot flashes. My sense of smell has returned but sometimes it’s altered. Cleaning solutions smell 20 times stronger. I’m concerned that I have post-viral dysautonomia [a disorder of the autonomic nervous system, which controls essential bodily functions like blood pressure, heartbeat and metabolism], which is something that can happen to coronavirus survivors."

I have no idea how common this is, or how likely it is to affect a D1 athlete.

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                  Makes comments about COVID or media fear, then tells others to stick to basketball. Okay then.

I'd like to know why a doctor seemingly has no interest in the long-term affects for survivors of COVID, instead pointing out the binary result of dead vs alive. It's a curious position for a doctor to take.

I think it's fair to be concerned about one of our players picking up a heart condition or something that ends their career, and what the likelihood of that is, or at minimum, ending their season. I don't know the numbers there, but I'm guessing it's higher than the mortality rate.
                  Scrooner your acusation is baseless. This is a basketball board. Doesn't mean I don't care. On THIS board however, COVID is tangential to college basketball and is only a topic that influences college basketball. If you want to argue or make silly comments about "why a doctor., etc" take it to the Foo...Im sure it's welcome there. A better question is why do you bring this up when YOU KNOW your comments will end this thread.?? Stop please.

Comment

• GoZags
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

This thread is close to being locked.
                    sigpic
                    ——-
                    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Zags11
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2008

The issue is Covid should be allowed on this board. It is a major concern with GU hoops. Don't bring up politics but opinions and facts should be allowed.

Comment

• GoZags
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
                        The issue is Covid should be allowed on this board. It is a major concern with GU hoops. Don't bring up politics but opinions and facts should be allowed.
                        Bickering, calling out posters etc is not going to be tolerated.

Everything in life (almost) is Covid-19 related these days and I fail to see how discussing/arguing details of the virus has anything to do specifically with Gonzaga Basketball ...

Nobody knows what is going to happen but the Mods will NOT tolerate bickering on this Board.
                        sigpic
                        ——-

Comment

• Reborn
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                          No fans in any bubble. Plus, the full basketball court in the Volkar Center was built for practice ... not for games with spectators.
                          I was totally unaware of a gym in the Volkar Center. Where is it located? On campus? How many teams play in a bubble? Are they all from the same conference?
                          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2019

WCC basketball is mostly supported by ESPN television money, correct? And CBS-SN and ROOT as well, to some extent. If we have to play without fans, so be it, but at least we can have a season. If Major League Baseball can have a season without fans (albiet, a wacky one), then so can we.

Comment

• GoZags
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                              I was totally unaware of a gym in the Volkar Center. Where is it located? On campus? How many teams play in a bubble? Are they all from the same conference?
                              Reborn, feel free to reread the article at the top of this thread. It is a comcept being discussed by the people that matter. It is an idea. A concept that I am hopeful comes to fruition. So there isn’t a “number” as to
                              “How many teams”. The WCC bubble would have 10 teams, though. At least that is my guess.

As for the Volkar Center (which is attached to K1 and K2) ... please peruse this link
                              sigpic
                              ——-

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                                Zag for Life
                                • Oct 2008

I am extremely happy that the powers that be are trying to make a season work somehow. This is paradoxical, but sports has never seemed so minor in the grand scheme of things, but also never seemed so important to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X