Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Fanbo Zeng

Um, no. I’ve said this until I’m nearly blue in the face. That would be a huge violation of trust. It rarely happens. It’s an unwritten rule. No way - not a chance.

90% FT shooter and 41% from three. Very good numbers from Fanbo. Looks like he can pass too. He ain’t redshirting next year.

No guarantee he comes to Gonzaga either...

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Zagfan - what do you know? I agree that Fanbo could follow Tommy to UA. But otherwise I think he stays at GU. Are you saying that because you are certain Tommy leaves?

Do you think that Tommy would want to burn his bridges with Few by taking recruits with him...if he goes?

That doesn't seem like something friends would do to each other, and from all I have heard, and read, they are friends.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Do you think that Tommy would want to burn his bridges with Few by taking recruits with him...if he goes?

That doesn't seem like something friends would do to each other, and from all I have heard, and read, they are friends.
    Lloyd certainly wouldn't actively recruit Fanbo away, but if Lloyd is the one who established a good relationship with the family and Fanbo and then he left, well....

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Lloyd certainly wouldn't actively recruit Fanbo away, but if Lloyd is the one who established a good relationship with the family and Fanbo and then he left, well....
    If your best friend took another job and you supported that, and then when leaving took some of your stuff. Would YOU be happy?

I would hope that Tommy would tell Fanbo that his two choices were to stay committed here or open up his recruitment again, and add that UA is likely to be under some serious sanctions which would hinder his NBA aspirations, and go elsewhere.

That's just me however. Others could do things differently.

If your best friend took another job and you supported that, and then when leaving took some of your stuff. Would YOU be happy?

I would hope that Tommy would tell Fanbo that his two choices were to stay committed here or open up his recruitment again, and add that UA is likely to be under some serious sanctions which would hinder his NBA aspirations, and go elsewhere.

That's just me however. Others could do things differently.
    Yeah should have been more specific here - if Fanbo & his family value his relationship with Lloyd because Lloyd has been the point of contact throughout recruitment, they may well decide to follow him wherever he goes. I highly doubt that Lloyd would do any sort of proactive poaching of current Zag targets/signees.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Yeah should have been more specific here - if Fanbo & his family value his relationship with Lloyd because Lloyd has been the point of contact throughout recruitment, they may well decide to follow him wherever he goes. I highly doubt that Lloyd would do any sort of proactive poaching of current Zag targets/signees.
    I agree with this. Lloyd and Few are good friends and Lloyd is going to want the best for Gonzaga even if he leaves. But in this case, Tommy was the guy with the Fanbo recruitment and there’s probably an immediate path to meaningful minutes at Arizona if Tommy ends up there. Just saying stranger things have happened.

I agree with this. Lloyd and Few are good friends and Lloyd is going to want the best for Gonzaga even if he leaves. But in this case, Tommy was the guy with the Fanbo recruitment and there’s probably an immediate path to meaningful minutes at Arizona if Tommy ends up there. Just saying stranger things have happened.
    No March Madness or Pac 12 tournament (hypothesizing) appearances. Not exactly the path one wants when aspiring to a NBA career.

No March Madness or Pac 12 tournament (hypothesizing) appearances. Not exactly the path one wants when aspiring to a NBA career.
    This doesn’t really impact his NBA aspirations. I agree it would seem like a less fun route to take. But if you can play a lot with a coach who you have a strong relationship with, it’s definitely something to consider.

Of course, maybe this is all a moot point and Tommy stays. I personally am not considering Fanbo a lock just yet, though.

This doesn’t really impact his NBA aspirations. I agree it would seem like a less fun route to take. But if you can play a lot with a coach who you have a strong relationship with, it’s definitely something to consider.

Of course, maybe this is all a moot point and Tommy stays. I personally am not considering Fanbo a lock just yet, though.
    I think the NCAA tournament can impact your NBA draft profile, we see it every year. Why would you want to go to a school where you are essentially playing for nothing in the end as opposed to playing for a Top 5 team in the country? Mostly, I think that the real question is whether Fanbo reclassifies into the 2021 class or stays 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I think the NCAA tournament can impact your NBA draft profile, we see it every year. Why would you want to go to a school where you are essentially playing for nothing in the end as opposed to playing for a Top 5 team in the country? Mostly, I think that the real question is whether Fanbo reclassifies into the 2021 class or stays 2022.
    It can help if you’re a mid major and get to play against better competition. But the NBA does not find out about players when we do. Fanbo has already been seen by every NBA franchise and the evaluation of how his skills will translate is already underway. Playing in a major conference will give NBA execs all they need to know about him. That said, playing in the postseason is very fun and personally I would say you’re missing out on your college basketball experience if you don’t do that as a good player.

Definitely some people who do help their stock in March. Johnny Juzang the most recent example. But certainly not something that is going to get him to the league or prevent him from making the league.

What about the affect of the NCAA tournament on endorsement deals? Think Suggs made himself a few extra dollars with his play in the tourny? Maybe a casual fan who became a Suggs fan after seeing him on every highlight reel, espn article, major newspapers telling his story?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    What about the affect of the NCAA tournament on endorsement deals? Think Suggs made himself a few extra dollars with his play in the tourny? Maybe a casual fan who became a Suggs fan after seeing him on every highlight reel, espn article, major newspapers telling his story?
    For the top end guys, yes. But the international aspect is also in play here, we saw what kind of international star Rui became. Rui was also good. If Fanbo is good enough to be a lottery pick I think he’ll do fine on endorsements whether he plays in March or not. But yeah, every bit of exposure helps. All things equal, pick Gonzaga ahead of Arizona. But if your path to minutes is quicker there and you’ve got a relationship with the coach, that factors in too. Maybe Arizona will mess up their hire and we won’t have to worry about it.

Your right. Fanbo does have an appreciation for both Lloyd and Few though. Ultimately, the players want to play for Few in my opinion. It’s not like Few is completely distanced and isolated during the process of recruiting International players. The only way I see Fanbo going to Arizona is if he believes there is too much of a log jam at his position. He already committed to GU and wants to reclassify to FY21 so I doubt he would re-open his recruitment. I don’t think Tommy is going to push this. For FY22, everything is likely fair game. For the past 20+ years the younger generation of players have seen the success of Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament. Lloyd had a lot to do with that. However, Few is like the Mike K of Duke and Gonzaga and Few are what resonate with those players.

Did he actually reclassify to 2021?

Default Minor Fanbo Update

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Did he actually reclassify to 2021?
    An April 7, 2021 article in the South China Morning Post suggests that reclassification is still an option for Fanbo ("he may reclassify for the Gonzaga Bulldogs"). This tracks Jim Meehan's reporting in his March 26, 2021 article for the S-R: "considering reclassifying" https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ts-to-gonzaga/

This SCMP article also provides a little insight into the confused reporting about Fanbo's selection in late March (and unselection? or was it declination?) to Nike's 2021 Hoop Summit World Team (which sported other GU-interested names, such as Paolo Banchero and Ryan Nembhard). The Nike event has been cancelled for the second year due to COVID concerns.

And as for what Fanbo is doing now, this article reports "Zeng, who was named as No 33 on ESPN’s list of high school recruits, is currently playing for Beijing in the CBDL, the Chinese reserve league, having returned to China during Covid-19." (247 Composite currently 0.9756, 52 National, 10 PF)

https://www.scmp.com/sport/basketbal...op-summit-team

It looks like we're still in "wait and see mode."
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Back in China? Part of me wonders if he ever steps foot onto any US campus, let alone Gonzaga. Geo-political tension seems to be growing.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    An April 7, 2021 article in the South China Morning Post suggests that reclassification is still an option for Fanbo ("he may reclassify for the Gonzaga Bulldogs"). This tracks Jim Meehan's reporting in his March 26, 2021 article for the S-R: "considering reclassifying" https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ts-to-gonzaga/

This SCMP article also provides a little insight into the confused reporting about Fanbo's selection in late March (and unselection? or was it declination?) to Nike's 2021 Hoop Summit World Team (which sported other GU-interested names, such as Paolo Banchero and Ryan Nembhard). The Nike event has been cancelled for the second year due to COVID concerns.

And as for what Fanbo is doing now, this article reports "Zeng, who was named as No 33 on ESPN’s list of high school recruits, is currently playing for Beijing in the CBDL, the Chinese reserve league, having returned to China during Covid-19." (247 Composite currently 0.9756, 52 National, 10 PF)

https://www.scmp.com/sport/basketbal...op-summit-team

Thank you. I suspect that we’ll be waiting for a while.

Red face According to ESPN's article on Chet's commitment...

...Fanbo has reclassified to 2021 and is expected to join the team this summer. The Fanbo info is about two-thirds down the article. Obviously I don't know the writer's source(s) or how fresh this info is, just passing this hopeful good news along. Here's the link:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ommits-gonzaga

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    ...Fanbo has reclassified to 2021 and is expected to join the team this summer. The Fanbo info is about two-thirds down the article. Obviously I don't know the writer's source(s) or how fresh this info is, just passing this hopeful good news along. Here's the link:

That would be very nice indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post

I don't think this is accurate, more like hearsay... I've read all I can find and nowhere does it say he's reclassified, only that it is an option.

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Zeng is the age of a typical current US senior in high school. But it seems like he left the US (and school) 13 months ago due to covid, and he has been playing with a national team and hen professional team in China.

I have no clue what procedure the NCAA would use (probably some nonsense) to determine if he is now college eligible given that unusual history. But in terms of actually age and experience, Zeng would fit right in with incoming college freshmen this summer fall. His years at school in Florida means he probably speaks much better English and will have less culture shock than Rui or Joel too.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    Zeng is the age of a typical current US senior in high school. But it seems like he left the US (and school) 13 months ago due to covid, and he has been playing with a national team and hen professional team in China.

I have no clue what procedure the NCAA would use (probably some nonsense) to determine if he is now college eligible given that unusual history. But in terms of actually age and experience, Zeng would fit right in with incoming college freshmen this summer fall. His years at school in Florida means he probably speaks much better English and will have less culture shock than Rui or Joel too.
    Yep, it seems that at least 3/4 of reclassifications are just kids returning to the class they should be in age wise anyway.