Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dominos starting to fall?

Exactly and BBZs idea is good too. We can do this!!

NBA and NFL don't have this risk?

I’m increasingly pessimistic. The environment is certainly bearish and there isn’t much on the immediate horizon that promises improvement.

I’m not definitely not renewing my satellite sports package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    NBA and NFL don't have this risk?
    NBA, pretty low risk, but they're in a lockdown bubble. NFL, yes similar (i.e., increased) risk. Most linemen have BMI's that put them into the obese category (increased risk of complications from COVID-19). Also, social distancing in football often results in a touchdown, so there will be none of that.

ETA: Basketball is a big setup for contagion, but football? Much worse. Hard hits, grunts, mucho contact all mean droplets are spread everywhere on the field. Given that half the players on practically every play end up on the turf, yeeeechhhhhh! I just can't imagine American football being played anywhere without tripling roster sizes and having COVID field hospitals on the sidelines (I jest on the latter, but really, it'll be a Petri dish).

Really not widespread thought right now. Needs some investigation. Mechanism unknown. We’ll see. Nothing secure right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Really not widespread thought right now. Needs some investigation. Mechanism unknown. We’ll see. Nothing secure right now.
    Two new studies in JAMA Cardiology may shed some light, though there's much more to investigate. Summary here: COVID-19 Might Damage the Hearts of Even Young, Healthy Patients

In light of what's happened in the B10, I just can't see other leagues taking on that liability. Pro sports, maybe, but student athletes? Boy, I dunno.

It’s always a “could” or “might be” these days. As a referee I’d say get some data and have it confirmed. . “Never the first but never the last”. We do need to know. bTW the lengthening of QT interval advertised as a big deal doesn’t seem to be. Media speaking for medicine is bound to be a messy deal.

Still if GU would go play other teams, each of our kids as well as the kids from the other teams would be required to be tested and be negative a few hours before tip. Seems like it would be managed easily.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Two new studies in JAMA Cardiology may shed some light, though there's much more to investigate. Summary here: COVID-19 Might Damage the Hearts of Even Young, Healthy Patients

In light of what's happened in the B10, I just can't see other leagues taking on that liability. Pro sports, maybe, but student athletes? Boy, I dunno.
    Cad - Medicine aside, I think the key word in your sentence is the one that I just highlighted in bold. The liability of the schools and the NCAA if sports are allowed is literally off of the charts. Can you imagine what that would do financially, to an institution, if a student athlete died from C-19 related complications? Or if it can be alleged that a kid with a multi-million dollar pro career on the horizon suffered damage to his heart or other organs while playing in college? As the world sits today, I can't see the risk management types signing off on any sort of basketball season.

I also wonder what the NCAA's balance sheet looks like these days. March Madness is their cash cow. Football is great, but it doesn't keep Emmert's private jet in the air. They obviously missed out in 2019. Can they survive if it is 2 years in a row?

Spikes got bingo! All these colleges need to do is feast the players on each t ram on game day. If ur positive you do not play but you go to quarantine. If you’re test negative, you play that day. Simplest solution.
    All this is predicated in one thing : the test accurately detects duseaseeven during a possible incubation period.

Please, don't feast the players on each t ram. They're already full.

Don't even get me started on the duseaseeven issue! We've had too many duseaseevens already! I'm waiting for the duseaeights!

Cheers. My fingers are probably not as nimble! "Hit any Key." Damn, where's the ANY key?

Admittedly, I spend way too much time editing my posts. You're bold, and push right through.

(This is all meant with respect and my poor attempt at humor. I did actually figure out your meaning).

Go Zags!

Last edited by caduceus; 08-12-2020 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Please, don't feast the players on each t ram. They're already full.

Don't even get me started on the duseaseeven issue! We've had too many duseaseevens already! I'm waiting for the duseaeights!

Cheers. My fingers are probably not as nimble! "Hit any Key." Damn, where's the ANY key?

Admittedly, I spend way too much time editing my posts. You're bold, and push right through.

(This is all meant with respect and my poor attempt at humor. I did actually figure out your meaning).

Go Zags!

I appreciate your posts and the information you share. I share most of the links to my Facebook page.
    I DO have to wonder..."When do you sleep?" You need to take care of yourself first and foremost!

Thanks for what you do. Will
    It's not funny.

Default Already a name for this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    COVID-19/coronavirus is going to be a bad word by the time this is all over. Instead of calling someone a butthead, you’d call him or her a coronavirus instead.
    Their called Covidiots.

Interesting read from Slipper Still Fits.....

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...eason-covid-19

Zagnut2012

Talking to my sons doctor at his sports physical yesterday ---- he was saying the overall patient volume is way down due to covid -- he cant wait for things to settle down and a vaccine to get in place so that he can get back to treating large numbers of patients again. Another friend in Seattle in the health care industry was laid off due to the lack of procedures/health care volume.
    I understand it has been tough for many health care professionals -- gotta pay the bills -- but hopefully schools/conferences will do the right thing and get back to playing after the right safeguards are in place.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Playing with no fans will not be a problem for most of the WCC schools. They've been social distancing and have had crowds of less than 50 people for about a decade.
    LOL!!

A bubble type atmosphere seems like the best solution. With remote learning, I think it’s possible.
    Go Zags!!!

I'm more optimistic hearing that the Big 12, ACC, and SEC are still planning on playing football in the fall...hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Spikes got bingo! All these colleges need to do is feast the players on each t ram on game day. If ur positive you do not play but you go to quarantine. If you’re test negative, you play that day. Simplest solution.
    All this is predicated in one thing : the test accurately detects duseaseeven during a possible incubation period.
    What test is the NBA using?

I have yet to read about an accurate rapid test.
    Parlez-vous français?

The cost and logistics of any sort of bubble would be staggering. It's not just about isolating players, which is hard enough when they aren't being paid and have academic and family responsibilities. There are team staff, event staff, officials, and media to consider. You have to figure out and pay for travel, lodging, meals, and testing. You also have to adhere to any local or state regulations and be ready to adapt should positive tests pop up. I don't mean to continue being a Negative Nancy, but I just don't think that any proposal I have read or heard addresses even a fraction of the legal, practical, and financial issues that are impeding college sports. Our poor national response to covid-19 collided with the incompetence of the NCAA and the devastating result is that Gonzaga lost their #1 seed in Spokane AND is now facing a lost season with their best recruiting class in history.

The best I think we could hope for is a "season" that basically starts with conference tournaments into a bubble style NCAA tournament; all predicated on national numbers declining significantly and probably on having some sort of vaccine. Even that is an extreme long shot, but it is the only hope I am clinging to.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    The cost and logistics of any sort of bubble would be staggering. It's not just about isolating players, which is hard enough when they aren't being paid and have academic and family responsibilities. There are team staff, event staff, officials, and media to consider. You have to figure out and pay for travel, lodging, meals, and testing. You also have to adhere to any local or state regulations and be ready to adapt should positive tests pop up. I don't mean to continue being a Negative Nancy, but I just don't think that any proposal I have read or heard addresses even a fraction of the legal, practical, and financial issues that are impeding college sports. Our poor national response to covid-19 collided with the incompetence of the NCAA and the devastating result is that Gonzaga lost their #1 seed in Spokane AND is now facing a lost season with their best recruiting class in history.

The best I think we could hope for is a "season" that basically starts with conference tournaments into a bubble style NCAA tournament; all predicated on national numbers declining significantly and probably on having some sort of vaccine. Even that is an extreme long shot, but it is the only hope I am clinging to.
    The term Negative Nancy is now called "Karen"...which angers my sister, Karen. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    The term Negative Nancy is now called "Karen"...which angers my sister, Karen. lol
    Unbridled optimism is what got us here.