Thread: Power Five College Football and Fall Sports Reportedly on the Verge of Being Canceled

Default Power Five College Football and Fall Sports Reportedly on the Verge of Being Canceled

Power Five College Football and Fall Sports Reportedly on the Verge of Being Canceled
    Matt Clapp

On Saturday, the MAC announced that they’re canceling all fall sports amid the COVID-19 pandemic, and it appears that the Power Five conferences are about to do the same.

Pat Forde and Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated report that, according to multiple sources, “high-level conference meetings are being planned for this week across the college football landscape with the expected resolution of postponing fall sports until 2021.”

High-level conference meetings are being planned for this week across the college football landscape with the expected resolution of postponing fall sports until 2021, multiple sources have told Sports Illustrated.

“It’s gotten to a critical stage,” one conference commissioner told Sports Illustrated Sunday, after a conference call between the heads of the Power 5 conferences. “I think all of us will be meeting with our boards in the coming days. We have work to do that is no fun.”

Other sources tell Forde and Dellinger that “by the end of the week the fall sports will be postponed in all conferences,” and “in the next 72 hours college football is going to come to a complete stop.”
    You can read the entire article here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ed/ar-BB17LveW

Maybe by the end of the week we will have some clarity on college sports for this fall.

ZagDad

When I saw that the WIAA had a plan to move all sports to winter and spring, I thought that was a great idea. Kids need thoughs activities and their plan seemed solid. With three grandkids still in high school and very active in sports, it was great to see that the WIAA was out front with a plan.

When the Big Sky announced the move of football to the spring... knowing how they rely on paid attendance to meet their budget needs... seemed like a good move. Suntan lotion and football works for me.

I think the P-5 will follow suit. They need the paid attendance also and this fall, that won’t happen.

Stay safe...

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    When I saw that the WIAA had a plan to move all sports to winter and spring, I thought that was a great idea. Kids need thoughs activities and their plan seemed solid. With three grandkids still in high school and very active in sports, it was great to see that the WIAA was out front with a plan.

When the Big Sky announced the move of football to the spring... knowing how they rely on paid attendance to meet their budget needs... seemed like a good move. Suntan lotion and football works for me.

I think the P-5 will follow suit. They need the paid attendance also and this fall, that won’t happen.

Stay safe...

Go Zags!!
    I personally don't know why P-5 isn't actively pushing this. Playing in spring potentially with fans in a stadium seems economically preferable to the risk of fall football with limited to no fans and constant threat of complete shutdown.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time