Could the NCAA succeed at creating an NBA-like bubble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrooner
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I think bubble restrictions would have to be tighter than they are for pros, teenagers and young 20-somethings being who they are.

Comment

• willandi
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

The easiest scenario would be a centralized location where the teams could all isolate and then play 3 games a week, every other day with Sundays off, for 6 weeks, Thanksgiving through the first week of January.
      That would play all 18 games of the conference schedule.
      The problem then is that there would be a layoff until early March, when the conference tournament would be held. A lot of rust could build up and not the best for preparing for March Madness.

It would be doable. With frequent testing, complete sanitation of the facilities daily and surface sanitation between games. No fans, friends or outside spectators. It would suck, but it would be doable.
      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• zagfan24
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

It's not happening.

I've believed this for about 2-3 months, and my glimmer of hope has now disappeared with multiple college FB conferences cancelling their season. There is simply no way to coordinate the cost, logistics, and leadership structure necessary to make a bubble or any type of modified college sports season happen this year. It's devastating for a number of reasons, and I'm crushed for the Zags.

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
          It's not happening.

I've believed this for about 2-3 months, and my glimmer of hope has now disappeared with multiple college FB conferences cancelling their season. There is simply no way to coordinate the cost, logistics, and leadership structure necessary to make a bubble or any type of modified college sports season happen this year. It's devastating for a number of reasons, and I'm crushed for the Zags.
          Many are rescheduling the fall sports to spring. Hoops is a winter sport. I expect it to go forward unless there is a huge spike in the virus.

Comment

• zagfan24
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by willandi View Post
            Many are rescheduling the fall sports to spring. Hoops is a winter sport. I expect it to go forward unless there is a huge spike in the virus.
            Hoops is a winter sport, sure. But creating the type of bubble the OP is talking about took months of planning for 22 teams, with a centralized governing body, in one city, with adult professional athletes, a players union, no academic obligations, and extensive financial resources. None of those factors apply to college basketball. The planning and organization of such an effort would already need to be well underway, if it was possible.

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

The easiest scenario would be a centralized location where the teams could all isolate and then play 3 games a week, every other day with Sundays off, for 6 weeks, Thanksgiving through the first week of January.
              That would play all 18 games of the conference schedule.
              The problem then is that there would be a layoff until early March, when the conference tournament would be held. A lot of rust could build up and not the best for preparing for March Madness.

It would be doable. With frequent testing, complete sanitation of the facilities daily and surface sanitation between games. No fans, friends or outside spectators. It would suck, but it would be doable.
              Hoops is a winter sport, sure. But creating the type of bubble the OP is talking about took months of planning for 22 teams, with a centralized governing body, in one city, with adult professional athletes, a players union, no academic obligations, and extensive financial resources. None of those factors apply to college basketball. The planning and organization of such an effort would already need to be well underway, if it was possible.
              Could be. I'm not privy to conversations, at any level, between WCC Universities, staff or coaches.
              If you have information, rather than an opinion, please share that, or let us know that you have information but can't share it.
              Otherwise it is an opinion.

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Dropping mortality and morbidity. I wonder what the numbers would have to be to just begin a schedule.......like normal/without the crowd. Or, like Nebraska released today that if the Big 12 cancels it's season , they're going to play whomever will play them......could we pick and chose the opponenets?.ie have a 20 game season. Interesting thoughts I think. Bubble has been a very safe way for the NBA but I wonder when that sort of thing is abandoned.....

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

I actually didn’t outline a bubble like the NBA. I don’t think it would work logistically, except for during the NCAA tournament, which is already bubble-like. I proposed basically just mkre regimented social distancing on campuses with a few tweaks to put athletes in a sort of bubble on campus at each school.

Comment

• zagfan24
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                    I actually didn’t outline a bubble like the NBA. I don’t think it would work logistically, except for during the NCAA tournament, which is already bubble-like. I proposed basically just mkre regimented social distancing on campuses with a few tweaks to put athletes in a sort of bubble on campus at each school.
                    You are right, and that was poorly stated on my part. My apologies. I should have said that creating a bubble like you talked about would take similar amounts of effort, albeit in a different form. Given that you still have to account for meals, travel, medical care.

FWIW, I really appreciated your post and think that type of thinking could have salvaged some sort of season. I just think it's beyond the NCAA's capabilities. I want a season to happen, though my strong pessimism could easily be mistaken for saying that there shouldn't be a season, which isn't necessarily the case. I think the long term failure of leadership at the highest levels of college sports means there is no framework to work out the sort of solution you proposed, which is potentially possible and certainly reasonable. I also think that Gonzaga is in a uniquely tough spot, given geographical isolation and in a financially different place than many of their conference brethren. To Will's point, this is all just my opinion, absolutely. I sometimes wish I was less of a skeptic by nature...

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

You are right, and that was poorly stated on my part. My apologies. I should have said that creating a bubble like you talked about would take similar amounts of effort, albeit in a different form. Given that you still have to account for meals, travel, medical care.

FWIW, I really appreciated your post and think that type of thinking could have salvaged some sort of season. I just think it's beyond the NCAA's capabilities. I want a season to happen, though my strong pessimism could easily be mistaken for saying that there shouldn't be a season, which isn't necessarily the case. I think the long term failure of leadership at the highest levels of college sports means there is no framework to work out the sort of solution you proposed, which is potentially possible and certainly reasonable. I also think that Gonzaga is in a uniquely tough spot, given geographical isolation and in a financially different place than many of their conference brethren. To Will's point, this is all just my opinion, absolutely. I sometimes wish I was less of a skeptic by nature...
                      It’s all good.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

I am, I guess, a bit more of an optimist. It CAN be worked out. I also don't know if it will.

Comment

• RenoZag
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Hoops scribe Seth Davis' thoughts re: the viability of an NCAA tourney, were published in today's edition of The Athletic:

There are limitations to putting college athletes into a bubble, but the advent of remote learning makes that more feasible. Given that college basketball will need to be played through the winter, where a potential surge in coronavirus would combine with the regular flu season, the bubble model is even more of a necessity. I know the NCAA is working on various scenarios for the tournament, and at this point, it’s hard to imagine the tournament taking place in anything but a bubble. I think the best way to do it is to have the entire tournament played in one setting. That’s a lot of teams to put into a bubble, but it becomes easier as half the field gets eliminated each round.

Option B would be to set up the four regions at different locations, and then have the remaining teams brought into a Final Four bubble. I don’t see any reason why the Final Four couldn’t take place in Indianapolis as planned, but given the success of the NBA, I think Orlando should be on the table for one of the sites. Things won’t be as fun without fans in the arenas, but at least the games will be played. Fingers crossed!
                          I'll take any optimism re: college hoops that I can get.
                          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                            Hoops scribe Seth Davis' thoughts re: the viability of an NCAA tourney, were published in today's edition of The Athletic:

I'll take any optimism re: college hoops that I can get.
                            A big +1 to that.

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

A five minute video from Andy Katz regarding the projected start date of the college basketball season:

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                              X