Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the year Gonzaga leaves the West Coast Conference

Default Is this the year Gonzaga leaves the West Coast Conference

I have a "strong suspicion" that Gonzaga clearly sees the writing on the wall right now and is exploring their options to leave the West Coast Conference.

The Power 5 schools are clearly testing the waters right now by playing in-conference football only which means its only a matter of time before they fully pull out of the NCAA. If the P5 exits the NCAA it means Gonzaga will need a place to land because the success of the university and athletic department are tied to Gonzaga basketball's success.

The PAC-12 is an absolute free fall right now and it needs some serious positive momentum. The PAC-12 announced huge budget cuts, layoffs, and another round of salary reductions because not only has its football revenue fallen off but so too has its basketball revenue. Adding Gonzaga in basketball only would help both the PAC-12 from a revenue standpoint and it helps Gonzaga if the Power 5 schools break off in 2022. There is a very real possibility that some West Coast Conference teams may not have the monetary budgets to continue funding their athletic departments too which would further push Gonzaga to the PAC-12 and the PAC-12 to Gonzaga.

Just adding to the discussion as I know this has been bandied about before but I know when I see a tsunami coming and I guarantee you the leaders of the University also see it which is why I strongly suspect that Gonzaga maybe looking at an exit strategy right now. The WCC association maybe coming to an end due to factors beyond Gonzaga's control.

COVID 19 has caused multiple things to change. No sure this is soly due to COVID19 though. THe disruption has caused many schools to rethink things. I do no know where GU would land but as many on this Board have urged GU to find greener pastures, it might be the time to do that. We do have good basketball obviously and baseball is coming along too. Finances usually dictate much. If we leave WCC, I do think the 30 win seasons will be lessened but the quality of everything might improve.
    Until the system settles a bit, big choices might be a bit risky. Not a bad time to look at a new affiliation though.

Where would they go? Just leaving is not an answer. The Mountain West, WAC or Big Sky aren't the answer.

Where would they go?
    It's not funny.

Maybe they could take Notre Dame's spot in the Independent League!!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

We need to wait and see what the new NCAA Pod League looks like.
    Parlez-vous français?

Even SMC is in trouble. Financially, both the school and the athletic department are going concerns if this thing lingers.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Where would they go? Just leaving is not an answer. The Mountain West, WAC or Big Sky aren't the answer.

Where would they go?
    I thought I was clear but guess I wasn't, the PAC-12 which is in desperate need to bolster basketball revenue & stature. San Diego State and Gonzaga would be terrific additions all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    I thought I was clear but guess I wasn't, the PAC-12 which is in desperate need to bolster basketball revenue & stature. San Diego State and Gonzaga would be terrific additions all the way around.
    Gonzaga as the only basketball only team would certainly be exposed to risk of football related decisions. It really needs to look at that. There was a reason the Big East kicked out their football schools. They found that the objectives of basketball only schools were secondary to football programs.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Gonzaga as the only basketball only team would certainly be exposed to risk of football related decisions. It really needs to look at that. There was a reason the Big East kicked out their football schools. They found that the objectives of basketball only schools were secondary to football programs.
    On the other hand if you don't make that gamble you are stuck in a Div. 2 basketball conference because the P5 are going to start their own tournament where only P5 schools are allowed to participate.

I don’t see the P5 going conference only in football this season as any more than trying to save as much revenue as possible from CFB this year. I don’t think this is them preparing to break away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really affects only revenue or profitable sports; at GU, question where they can “park” sports other than men’s and women’s basketball. Minimizing travel expenses would be a key to continuing to compete in money-losing sports. Bleak picture.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Really affects only revenue or profitable sports; at GU, question where they can “park” sports other than men’s and women’s basketball. Minimizing travel expenses would be a key to continuing to compete in money-losing sports. Bleak picture.
    Covid will be devastating for women's sports. Schools that drop football won't need to fund women's sports as required by Title IX.

Back to the topic: I think it's a nonstarter, as the Zags carved out a pretty good deal for themselves two years ago. There's no reason to leave the WCC, and Pac-12 schools are research institutions.

There have been numerous threads over the past several years about the Zags moving to another conference. Not in the cards, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Covid will be devastating for women's sports. Schools that drop football won't need to fund women's sports as required by Title IX.

Back to the topic: I think it's a nonstarter, as the Zags carved out a pretty good deal for themselves two years ago. There's no reason to leave the WCC, and Pac-12 schools are research institutions.

There have been numerous threads over the past several years about the Zags moving to another conference. Not in the cards, if you ask me.
    There is no reason to leave if we assume the same structure moves forward. The premise, however, was that the landscape might change in substantial ways, effectively putting GU in a position where it can no longer compete in the ways it has previously.

Whether that premise plays out, none of us knows, but it’s interesting to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    There is no reason to leave if we assume the same structure moves forward. The premise, however, was that the landscape might change in substantial ways, effectively putting GU in a position where it can no longer compete in the ways it has previously.

Whether that premise plays out, none of us knows, but it’s interesting to ponder.
    Is this like that bridge in Alaska, built but going nowhere? There needs to be a need before there is a change. As of yet, we don't have any idea of the need, so making plans to go nowhere is for a nowhere man.
    It's not funny.

Is this like that bridge in Alaska, built but going nowhere? There needs to be a need before there is a change. As of yet, we don't have any idea of the need, so making plans to go nowhere is for a nowhere man.
    It wasn't going nowhere, it was going to the island that had the airport, opening up development in an area that development is a challenge due to mountains going right to the edge of the water and providing improved transportation options, where previously a ferry had to be taken to get to the airport.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    It wasn't going nowhere, it was going to the island that had the airport, opening up development in an area that development is a challenge due to mountains going right to the edge of the water and providing improved transportation options, where previously a ferry had to be taken to get to the airport.
    I stand corrected. Thank you.
    It's not funny.

Most people ponder big things long before deciding to either take action or take no action. Roth is constantly surveying the landscape and pondering a great variety of things, things that you and I will never know.

So yes, pondering is quite acceptable.

Default Relegation is the answer

I'd love to see the Pac 12, WCC and MWC become three relegation-style conferences. The top 12 teams play for the Pac 12 title, the middle 11 teams play for the WCC title, and the bottom 10 teams play for the MWC title. Each conference plays a 16-18 game regular conference schedule with a regular season, with the standard automatic birth conference tournament to follow. The following season, the top 2-4 teams in each conference are relegated and promoted based on the prior year's results.

The Pac 12 would aim to be a 7-9 at large birth league on par with the ACC and Big 10. The middle league would aim to be a 3-5 at large birth conference in the same "tier" as the AAC and Big East, and the bottom league would aim to be a 2-3 birth conference on par with the current WCC and MWC. This would give the top teams more competition, the middle teams more competition, the bottom teams a chance to make the tournament and win an auto bid.

Will never happen, but would be the unique solution we need to create competitive balance on the West Coast for NCAA basketball.

This is how it would look in year 1 based entirely on Net Rankings:

Pac 12 - TIER 1

1 - GONZAGA (WCC)
    4 - SDSU (MWC)
    9 - BYU (WCC)
    12 - OREGON (PAC)
    14 - ARIZONA (PAC)
    25 - COLORADO (PAC)

31 - SAINT MARY'S (WCC)
    33 - STANFORD (PAC)
    40 - UTAH STATE (MWC)
    45 - USC (PAC)
    54 - ARIZONA STATE (PAC)
    58 - WASHINGTON (PAC)

WCC - TIER 2

71 - OREGON STATE (PAC)
    76 - UCLA (PAC)

83 - SAN FRANCISCO (WCC)
    85 - UTAH (PAC)
    89 - NEVADA (MWC)
    90 - BOISE STATE (MWC)
    106 - COLORADO STATE (MWC)
    108 - UNLV (MWC)

110 - PACIFIC (WCC)
    115 - WASHINGTON STATE (PAC)
    131 - PEPPERDINE (WCC)

MWC - TIER 3

139 - CALIFORNIA (PAC)
    143 - NEW MEXICO (MWC)
    145 - SANTA CLARA (WCC)
    161 - FRESNO STATE (MWC)
    207 - LMU (WCC)
    220 - AIR FORCE (MWC)
    231 - SAN DIEGO (WCC)
    271 - WYOMING (MWC)
    275 - PORTLAND (WCC)
    287 - SAN JOSE STATE (MWC)

They can then package up all the games and sell them on the Pac 12 Network. Teams like Cal, New Mexico, Santa Clara and Frenso state would have some chance to make the NCAA tournament, creating excitement.

I expect vaccines tested and approved by a year from now,
    and i know it will never be the same,
    but if a whole population has free access to an effective vaccine,
    the Conferences may decide to try to continue approx. as they had before ....

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I'd love to see the Pac 12, WCC and MWC become three relegation-style conferences. The top 12 teams play for the Pac 12 title, the middle 11 teams play for the WCC title, and the bottom 10 teams play for the MWC title. Each conference plays a 16-18 game regular conference schedule with a regular season, with the standard automatic birth conference tournament to follow. The following season, the top 2-4 teams in each conference are relegated and promoted based on the prior year's results.

The Pac 12 would aim to be a 7-9 at large birth league on par with the ACC and Big 10. The middle league would aim to be a 3-5 at large birth conference in the same "tier" as the AAC and Big East, and the bottom league would aim to be a 2-3 birth conference on par with the current WCC and MWC. This would give the top teams more competition, the middle teams more competition, the bottom teams a chance to make the tournament and win an auto bid.

Will never happen, but would be the unique solution we need to create competitive balance on the West Coast for NCAA basketball.

This is how it would look in year 1 based entirely on Net Rankings:

Pac 12 - TIER 1

1 - GONZAGA (WCC)
    4 - SDSU (MWC)
    9 - BYU (WCC)
    12 - OREGON (PAC)
    14 - ARIZONA (PAC)
    25 - COLORADO (PAC)

31 - SAINT MARY'S (WCC)
    33 - STANFORD (PAC)
    40 - UTAH STATE (MWC)
    45 - USC (PAC)
    54 - ARIZONA STATE (PAC)
    58 - WASHINGTON (PAC)

WCC - TIER 2

71 - OREGON STATE (PAC)
    76 - UCLA (PAC)

83 - SAN FRANCISCO (WCC)
    85 - UTAH (PAC)
    89 - NEVADA (MWC)
    90 - BOISE STATE (MWC)
    106 - COLORADO STATE (MWC)
    108 - UNLV (MWC)

110 - PACIFIC (WCC)
    115 - WASHINGTON STATE (PAC)
    131 - PEPPERDINE (WCC)

MWC - TIER 3

139 - CALIFORNIA (PAC)
    143 - NEW MEXICO (MWC)
    145 - SANTA CLARA (WCC)
    161 - FRESNO STATE (MWC)
    207 - LMU (WCC)
    220 - AIR FORCE (MWC)
    231 - SAN DIEGO (WCC)
    271 - WYOMING (MWC)
    275 - PORTLAND (WCC)
    287 - SAN JOSE STATE (MWC)

They can then package up all the games and sell them on the Pac 12 Network. Teams like Cal, New Mexico, Santa Clara and Frenso state would have some chance to make the NCAA tournament, creating excitement.
    nice work.

I’d vote yes

if I had a vote....😷

No.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    nice work.

I’d vote yes

if I had a vote....��
    Message box is full.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    nice work.

I’d vote yes

if I had a vote....
    I would find this system fascinating. It would reward teams that perform. Every game matters as teams via not just for championships but to move up or stay up as well.

I doubt it happens. BCS teams are already in the top tier and don’t want the risk of relegation. Their lowest risk option is to keep others out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Hoping for some kind of basketball season this year, but I’m not gonna hold my breath. But let’s assume we get a working vaccine by next year. Things should return to almost normal, and the P5 schools wouldn’t have any Covid-19 related reasons to separate from the pack.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

When a school like Stanford (huge endowment) cuts anything I have to think it's just a matter of time before others follow suit.

https://news.stanford.edu/2020/07/08/athletics/