• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basketballzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Is this the year Gonzaga leaves the West Coast Conference

I have a "strong suspicion" that Gonzaga clearly sees the writing on the wall right now and is exploring their options to leave the West Coast Conference.

The Power 5 schools are clearly testing the waters right now by playing in-conference football only which means its only a matter of time before they fully pull out of the NCAA. If the P5 exits the NCAA it means Gonzaga will need a place to land because the success of the university and athletic department are tied to Gonzaga basketball's success.

The PAC-12 is an absolute free fall right now and it needs some serious positive momentum. The PAC-12 announced huge budget cuts, layoffs, and another round of salary reductions because not only has its football revenue fallen off but so too has its basketball revenue. Adding Gonzaga in basketball only would help both the PAC-12 from a revenue standpoint and it helps Gonzaga if the Power 5 schools break off in 2022. There is a very real possibility that some West Coast Conference teams may not have the monetary budgets to continue funding their athletic departments too which would further push Gonzaga to the PAC-12 and the PAC-12 to Gonzaga.

Just adding to the discussion as I know this has been bandied about before but I know when I see a tsunami coming and I guarantee you the leaders of the University also see it which is why I strongly suspect that Gonzaga maybe looking at an exit strategy right now. The WCC association maybe coming to an end due to factors beyond Gonzaga's control.
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

COVID 19 has caused multiple things to change. No sure this is soly due to COVID19 though. THe disruption has caused many schools to rethink things. I do no know where GU would land but as many on this Board have urged GU to find greener pastures, it might be the time to do that. We do have good basketball obviously and baseball is coming along too. Finances usually dictate much. If we leave WCC, I do think the 30 win seasons will be lessened but the quality of everything might improve.
    Until the system settles a bit, big choices might be a bit risky. Not a bad time to look at a new affiliation though.

Comment

• willandi
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Where would they go? Just leaving is not an answer. The Mountain West, WAC or Big Sky aren't the answer.

Where would they go?
      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• sittingon50
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Maybe they could take Notre Dame's spot in the Independent League!!
        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Mantua
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

We need to wait and see what the new NCAA Pod League looks like.
          Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Even SMC is in trouble. Financially, both the school and the athletic department are going concerns if this thing lingers.

Comment

• basketballzag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
              Where would they go? Just leaving is not an answer. The Mountain West, WAC or Big Sky aren't the answer.

Where would they go?
              I thought I was clear but guess I wasn't, the PAC-12 which is in desperate need to bolster basketball revenue & stature. San Diego State and Gonzaga would be terrific additions all the way around.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                I thought I was clear but guess I wasn't, the PAC-12 which is in desperate need to bolster basketball revenue & stature. San Diego State and Gonzaga would be terrific additions all the way around.
                Gonzaga as the only basketball only team would certainly be exposed to risk of football related decisions. It really needs to look at that. There was a reason the Big East kicked out their football schools. They found that the objectives of basketball only schools were secondary to football programs.
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• basketballzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                  Gonzaga as the only basketball only team would certainly be exposed to risk of football related decisions. It really needs to look at that. There was a reason the Big East kicked out their football schools. They found that the objectives of basketball only schools were secondary to football programs.
                  On the other hand if you don't make that gamble you are stuck in a Div. 2 basketball conference because the P5 are going to start their own tournament where only P5 schools are allowed to participate.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                    Zag for Life
                    • May 2008

I don’t see the P5 going conference only in football this season as any more than trying to save as much revenue as possible from CFB this year. I don’t think this is them preparing to break away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• TravelinZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2012

Really affects only revenue or profitable sports; at GU, question where they can “park” sports other than men’s and women’s basketball. Minimizing travel expenses would be a key to continuing to compete in money-losing sports. Bleak picture.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
                        Really affects only revenue or profitable sports; at GU, question where they can “park” sports other than men’s and women’s basketball. Minimizing travel expenses would be a key to continuing to compete in money-losing sports. Bleak picture.
                        Covid will be devastating for women's sports. Schools that drop football won't need to fund women's sports as required by Title IX.

Back to the topic: I think it's a nonstarter, as the Zags carved out a pretty good deal for themselves two years ago. There's no reason to leave the WCC, and Pac-12 schools are research institutions.

There have been numerous threads over the past several years about the Zags moving to another conference. Not in the cards, if you ask me.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                          Covid will be devastating for women's sports. Schools that drop football won't need to fund women's sports as required by Title IX.

Back to the topic: I think it's a nonstarter, as the Zags carved out a pretty good deal for themselves two years ago. There's no reason to leave the WCC, and Pac-12 schools are research institutions.

There have been numerous threads over the past several years about the Zags moving to another conference. Not in the cards, if you ask me.
                          There is no reason to leave if we assume the same structure moves forward. The premise, however, was that the landscape might change in substantial ways, effectively putting GU in a position where it can no longer compete in the ways it has previously.

Whether that premise plays out, none of us knows, but it’s interesting to ponder.

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                            There is no reason to leave if we assume the same structure moves forward. The premise, however, was that the landscape might change in substantial ways, effectively putting GU in a position where it can no longer compete in the ways it has previously.

Whether that premise plays out, none of us knows, but it’s interesting to ponder.
                            Is this like that bridge in Alaska, built but going nowhere? There needs to be a need before there is a change. As of yet, we don't have any idea of the need, so making plans to go nowhere is for a nowhere man.
                            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• webspinnre
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                              Is this like that bridge in Alaska, built but going nowhere? There needs to be a need before there is a change. As of yet, we don't have any idea of the need, so making plans to go nowhere is for a nowhere man.
                              It wasn't going nowhere, it was going to the island that had the airport, opening up development in an area that development is a challenge due to mountains going right to the edge of the water and providing improved transportation options, where previously a ferry had to be taken to get to the airport.
                              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

Working...
                              X