Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Foo 2020 Apocalypse BINGO Game

What if we had TWO hurricanes in the Gulf:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...s-gulf-mexico/

The National Hurricane Center is projecting that two hurricanes — Laura and Marco — will swirl above the Gulf of Mexico on Monday. If this comes to pass, it would be a first in more than a century and a half of record-keeping, and a high-impact situation for coastal residents. Such a scenario would severely strain resources amid an already busy hurricane season, when several Southern states are reeling from the coronavirus pandemic.
    And, of course, we need a formation of UAPs above each one.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

It's been done before. 1933, so not even 100 years ago! LOL
    It's not funny.

Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Be safe.
    Thank you.

I just had the propane tank filled to emergency max for the generator, so even if the power goes out, we'd have 5-7 days of power (sparing).

FWIW, this is DZ's Preparedness List. Help me with anything I've forgotten.

1. CASH (Most often overlooked, cards don't work when the power goes out for 2 weeks), get three times what you think you will need. The bank will take it back or can redeposit at ATM.
    2. GAS - Fill every vehicle to the top and fill a few red containers
    3. Batteries
    4. Fill water bins outside in case need to flush toilets
    5. If you live in the country get chainsaws/shovels working.
    6. Remove everything within site that can become a cannonball.

They are already saying to overprepare bc with COVID it will take longer to get services back online. Look at what Iowa went through.

Fortunately, they are already saying that the one on the Yucatan Penninsula looks to be headed more toward Texas, and we're on the Eastern edge of the path of the one near P.R. Of course, things change fast.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Thank you.

I just had the propane tank filled to emergency max for the generator, so even if the power goes out, we'd have 5-7 days of power (sparing).

FWIW, this is DZ's Preparedness List. Help me with anything I've forgotten.

1. CASH (Most often overlooked, cards don't work when the power goes out for 2 weeks), get three times what you think you will need. The bank will take it back or can redeposit at ATM.
    2. GAS - Fill every vehicle to the top and fill a few red containers
    3. Batteries
    4. Fill water bins outside in case need to flush toilets
    5. If you live in the country get chainsaws/shovels working.
    6. Remove everything within site that can become a cannonball.

They are already saying to overprepare bc with COVID it will take longer to get services back online. Look at what Iowa went through.

Fortunately, they are already saying that the one on the Yucatan Penninsula looks to be headed more toward Texas, and we're on the Eastern edge of the path of the one near P.R. Of course, things change fast.
    I would add the following:

1. Wet-dry vac.
    2. Extra pet food.
    3. A cooking source that is not dependent on utilities. Be ready to grill any meat in the freezer.
    4. Non-perishable food.
    5. A couple of good library books.
    6. More water. Even when your well or public water source comes back on line, there is a high risk of contamination.
    7. Sump pump.
    8. Extra medications.
    9. Bring your cars into the garage.

Be ready to bunker in and avoid the outside world for a couple of weeks. Good luck.

I suspect that you have more experience with this than I do. Please don’t be offended if you had already made all of these preparations.

I would add the following:

1. Wet-dry vac.
    2. Extra pet food.
    3. A cooking source that is not dependent on utilities. Be ready to grill any meat in the freezer.
    4. Non-perishable food.
    5. A couple of good library books.
    6. More water. Even when your well or public water source comes back on line, there is a high risk of contamination.
    7. Sump pump.
    8. Extra medications.
    9. Bring your cars into the garage.

Be ready to bunker in and avoid the outside world for a couple of weeks. Good luck.

I suspect that you have more experience with this than I do. Please don’t be offended if you had already made all of these preparations.
    I don't think anyone should be offended by others listing things they do, that's why I specifically asked for help with thoughts about anything I might be missing. We all miss things.

Fortunately, because we live with this reality every summer, we have most everything on your list except you listed two things that I really need to do next time I run out, I have to get extra dog food bc I'm under a week, pick up Rx's for everyone Monday a.m., and get a few big bags of coals for the bbq.

I have never tested how long the generator can go, but I think I can keep things frozen by just running the freezers and the wi-fi/cable/lights. If we don't use AC, I think we can keep most things cold and either get power back on or get the propane filled again in the interim

Right now we're on the eastern edge of uncertainty for the Puerto Rican hurricane, but it's only projected to be a Cat 1 right now and we're 50 miles inland - not too threatening. When Katrina was a Cat 5 and 100 miles offshore that was a very different thing. About 1:25 of the video below shows what it was like to have Katrina's eyewall go through 50 miles in:

Mark Twain.

It's not funny.

BIBLICAL - LOCUSTS

Mark Twain.

To my friends here, due to nothing but chance, we will be 110 miles east of where the Cat 4 hurricane comes ashore and thus spared everything but a bit of a rainy day with a bit of a breeze.

It is worth reminding people that Katrina was a Cat 5 in the middle of the Gulf, but was down to a low Cat4, border Cat3 when it came ashore. In terms of strength, this storm might well be stronger than Katrina, though Katrina was one of the biggest storms to ever come up the Gulf, at one point it covered near the entire Gulf, thus damage was more widespread. This one might even be slightly stronger wind, those smaller cone of damage, which does the people under it no good at all. Many of you have been through similar things, for those that haven't, it's hard to desribe the hell. The eye wall went right over us, the eastern side (strongest) but not the eye itself. I cannot imagine being real near the water. This area will be destroyed and "normalcy" won't be back for a month.

Moreover, the increasing frequency of these things is pushing people away from the coast in some of the first climate change migration in this country. Since Katrina, New Orleans never did get back the population it had before, Baton Rouge grew.

If you're the type, say some prayers that deaths are low. If you've the means, donate to the Red Cross - they are the heroes.
    Mark Twain.

I did not have soup used (allegedly) as a protest weapon on my BINGO card

It's not funny.

Oldest animal sperm discovered in 100-million-year-old amber
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/world...jFgmaFCRJcgaqc
    It's not funny.

My 6 year old has to draw a topographical map for school...the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse can come and drag me away before I have to coach a child how to draw that (I don't even know how to draw that). Come get me, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    My 6 year old has to draw a topographical map for school...the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse can come and drag me away before I have to coach a child how to draw that (I don't even know how to draw that). Come get me, please!

Seems a bit advanced for a six year old. Do they ask second-graders to draw a map of the human genome?

I did not have "Bryson DeChambeau Wins US Open" on my BINGO card

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Seems a bit advanced for a six year old. Do they ask second-graders to draw a map of the human genome?
    We're really skipping around in science...so maaaaaybe??! Guess we'll find out!
    So this is kind of funny and it didn't even occur to me until a friend pointed it out. This is basically for people who are homeschooling in their district, and one of the maps is "draw a circle around your house"..."draw an x on your school and give directions to it from your house." They're the same place since it's an online school.
    He also had to make a diorama and then draw the diorama but we just took a picture because no one has time for that ridiculousness.

Brain eating amoebae! Who had that???

Speak up for those of us in back!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/brain-eati..._headlines_hed
    It's not funny.

-Kangaroos overrun Dallas Wal-Mart
    Can I change my prediction to, “Crows overrun Houston Wal-Mart,”?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4PlJjnPnkS0

It's not funny.

Pat Robertson submits his BINGO card:

-Trump wins.
    -Chaos ensues.
    -Asteroid destroys the world.

https://news.yahoo.com/televangelist...213443672.html

Former Time Magazine "Person of the Year" in a Borat movie wasn't on my card.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Former Time Magazine "Person of the Year" in a Borat movie wasn't on my card.
    my husband just told me about this! I was looking forward to the new movie, but eeeeew that's so gross.

"It was a setup!!"

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    my husband just told me about this! I was looking forward to the new movie, but eeeeew that's so gross.
    Who had “Borat is the world’s best investigative journalist,” on your BINGO card?