Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: actual live women's basketball today

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Great season by Sloot but I’m going to pick nits here. If she had 219 assists in 22 games, that leaves her assist total at 9.9545 assists per game. Statistically you round up. I get that. But if the question is, did she average 10 per game, I’d say no, she fell one assist short.
    Sort of like a hitter in baseball who’s batting average is .3997. Did that person hit 400 for the season? A statistician would say yes, a player would say no.
    Your right. Announcers during the game kept saying she needed one more assist (13 total) to get that magical 10.0 apg

Chicago coach kept CV out the first 4+ minutes of the 4th quarter and the Sky could not hit a shot to give CV the 13th assist in the last 5+ minutes. Sloot hit a couple of baskets and hit some free throws down the stretch to help the Sky win the game, but unfortunately, you can't assist to yourself.

Great season anyway Sloot.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Sky win their finale. They blew an 8 point lead in the 4th quarter, but then went on a run of their own to beat Dallas 95-88. Sloot had 15 points and 12 assists, that bumps her up to an average of 10 apg. 219 for the season is her third highest seasonal output, with 12 less games than normal. That's pretty amazing. She could've been pushing 350 in a 34 game season. Parker had 23 and Hebard 22. They overcame Ogunbowale's 38 points.

Sloot was on a tear the finish the season, 79 assists in the last 6 games. A whole bunch of players had less than 79 total for the season.
    Sloot also averaged 13.6 ppg which is her highest scoring average for her entire career by more than 1.1 ppg.

She is only getting better.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Sloot also averaged 13.6 ppg which is her highest scoring average for her entire career by more than 1.1 ppg.

She is only getting better.

ZagDad
    Now if Sue will just retire so Sloot can catch up to her. Bird has missed 3/4 of the last 2 seasons.

With the results of Saturday's WNBA games, the Atlanta Dream have been eliminated from the playoffs.

Dallas Wings vs New York Liberty at 9:00 AM PST on CBS Sports Network - Dallas must win to stay in the play-off race.
    Seattle vs Las Vegas at 12:00 Noon PST on ABC - Winner wins the regular season championship and the loser is relegated to #2 seed and a spot in the semi-finals.
    Washington vs Atlanta at 2"00 PM PST streaming on FaceBook. If Washington wins, they clinched the last (8th) play-off spot. If the Mystics lose and Dallas wins, the Wings are in.

ZagDad

Dallas got the win, barely. Now it comes down to Washington vs. Atlanta.

Las Vegas just edged Seattle to get the #1 seed. Bird and Stewie were out for the Storm, McCoughtry only the played the first 5 minutes of the game for the Aces. A bit of an anti climatic game with the regular season title on the line. Loyd nearly carried them to the win w/ 30, but the combo of Hamby and Wilson was a bit too much. A'ja probably won herself the MVP.

Mystics claim the last playoff spot. Went 5-1 down the stretch of the season, after looking dead in the water for most of it.

Las Vegas just edged Seattle to get the #1 seed. Bird and Stewie were out for the Storm, McCoughtry only the played the first 5 minutes of the game for the Aces. A bit of an anti climatic game with the regular season title on the line. Loyd nearly carried them to the win w/ 30, but the combo of Hamby and Wilson was a bit too much. A'ja probably won herself the MVP.
    Seattle had their chances to win this game several times. Seattle had it down to 2-3-5 points several times in the last couple of minutes but could not hit any kind of shot. The Storm threw in a couple of 3s late to make Las Vegas make their free throws to end it. Neither team really seemed to care if they won or lost the game since it had little impact on either team. Kind of a let down, considering what the game could have been.

1st round, single game elimination play-offs start on 9/15.

- Chicago vs Connecticut at 4:00 PM PST
    - Washington vs Phoenix at 6:00 PM PST

Television networks have not been announced yet, but bet on CBS Sports Network.

Teams will be re-seeded after the first round of play-offs.

ZagDad

Seattle had their chances to win this game several times. Seattle had it down to 2-3-5 points several times in the last couple of minutes but could not hit any kind of shot. The Storm threw in a couple of 3s late to make Las Vegas make their free throws to end it. Neither team really seemed to care if they won or lost the game since it had little impact on either team. Kind of a let down, considering what the game could have been.

1st round, single game elimination play-offs start on 9/15.

- Chicago vs Connecticut at 4:00 PM PST
    - Washington vs Phoenix at 6:00 PM PST

Television networks have not been announced yet, but bet on CBS Sports Network.

Teams will be re-seeded after the first round of play-offs.

ZagDad
    I thought I saw all playoff games will be on ABC or ESPN.

I thought I saw all playoff games will be on ABC or ESPN.
    Could be.

In my sports viewing, I have heard advertisements for the WNBA playoffs as well, but I did not remember where and in their infinite wisdom, the WNBA did list the TV coverage on their playoff game listings.

Since this is the first week of series TV, I would doubt weekday games would be on Network TV, but they certainly could be on ESPN. Weekend games could be anywhere. Having the games on network TV would be a big coup for the WNBA.

My understanding is the first AND second round games are single game series (one and done).

ZagDad

1st round WNBA playoff games are scheduled for Tuesday, 9/15/2020:

- Chicago vs Connecticut at 4:00 PM PST on ESPN2
    - Washington vs Phoenix at 6:00 PM PST on ESPN2

ZagDad

Hmm....kind of like missing votes that are found after elections, Vandersloot has been credited with 1 more assist from a game on Aug 4th that was incorrectly given to Quigley. That brings her season total to 220, and the first to ever average 10 apg in the WNBA.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...age-10-assists

Hmm....kind of like missing votes that are found after elections, Vandersloot has been credited with 1 more assist from a game on Aug 4th that was incorrectly given to Quigley. That brings her season total to 220, and the first to ever average 10 apg in the WNBA.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...age-10-assists
    Well, since I thought the stats people short changed Sloot on an assist in the last 3 minutes of the last game anyway, I have no problem with them finding her an extra assist somewhere during the year.

ZagDad

Halftime and it is all tied up at 41 for Chicago and Connecticut. Chicago can not stop Dewanna Bonner with 12 points (3-5) and Alyssa Thomas with 17 points (6-9) plus Connecticut has made 10-11 free throws while Chicago has made 4-4.

Sloot has 10 pts (4-6 overall & 2-3 from 3), 3 assists, 3 rebounds and 1 steal with no turnovers at the half.

ZagDad

Q2 wasn't as bad as Q1, but pretty much if you look at Thomas or Bonner when they are shooting, they are going to the FT line. Thomas mystifies me, it looks like she's committing an offensive foul more than half of the time, but she never gets called for it. She just throws her body into defenders, or plows thru them. Why does she get so much benefit of the doubt from the refs?

Looked like Connecticut was pulling away, but a 10-0 run just before the half by the Sky got them back in it. 2 3's by Gabby were a big bonus.

When you can't play defense and you can't score, it does not bode well for the Sky.

Chicago outscored 27-11 in the 3rd quarter to trail the Sun by 16 entering the 4th quarter.

No assists for Sloot in the 3rd quarter.

ZagDad

No assists for Sloot in the 3rd quarter.

ZagDad
    Somebody has to be able to hit a shot to get an assist.

This was pretty easy to predict, Sun had been playing well and Chicago pretty terrible the last several weeks.

Absolute failure by Chicago to secure defensive rebounds in the 2nd half gave them no chance to win.

Absolute failure by Chicago to secure defensive rebounds in the 2nd half gave them no chance to win.
    Yep.

Connecticut had 40 rebounds versus Chicago's 21. Perhaps more telling was Connecticut getting 17 offensive boards versus 5 O-boards by the Sky. If I remember correctly, near the end of the game The O-boards by Connecticut lead to a 2nd chance scoring differential something like 23-4.

You have to play both ends of the court and without DeShields or Stevens, the Sky had no one who wanted to work for the boards tonight (or any of their last 5+ games).

ZagDad

Crazy finish to Phoenix-Washington. Mystics led almost the whole way, but Merc with a huge 17-0 run in Q4 to take control. Washington regrouped, went back and forth a bit, Phoenix w/ a buzzer beating 3 to win from...Shay Peddy of all people. If you ask "who?," that's understandable.

Crazy finish to Phoenix-Washington. Mystics led almost the whole way, but Merc with a huge 17-0 run in Q4 to take control. Washington regrouped, went back and forth a bit, Phoenix w/ a buzzer beating 3 to win from...Shay Peddy of all people. If you ask "who?," that's understandable.
    I did not watch the game, but saw the last shot. It looks like Chicago was playing defense on Peddy. Peddy was standing on the 3-point line near the corner and the closest Washington player was standing on at the key, so may 10-12 feet away.

It was poetic justice that Peddy's shot would send the Mystics home. Peddy joined the Mercury less than a month prior to Tuesday's game after getting waived by her former team — the Washington Mystics.

Here is a quote from Peddy on the final shot:

"They released me, so for me to hit that shot against them, it's just like a fairytale moment," Peddy said after the game. "I don't think you can write it up any better than that."

Way to go Shay Peddy.

ZagDad

I did not watch the game, but saw the last shot. It looks like Chicago was playing defense on Peddy. Peddy was standing on the 3-point line near the corner and the closest Washington player was standing on at the key, so may 10-12 feet away.

It was poetic justice that Peddy's shot would send the Mystics home. Peddy joined the Mercury less than a month prior to Tuesday's game after getting waived by her former team — the Washington Mystics.

Here is a quote from Peddy on the final shot:

"They released me, so for me to hit that shot against them, it's just like a fairytale moment," Peddy said after the game. "I don't think you can write it up any better than that."

Way to go Shay Peddy.

ZagDad
    In the opposite vein, former Phoenix Mercury Leilani Mitchell (from Tri Cities) dropped a game high 25 for the Mystics. I don't think she was cut, however. Ah, after a little digging, Washington signed her as a free agent, so Phoenix let her go.

In the opposite vein, former Phoenix Mercury Leilani Mitchell (from Tri Cities) dropped a game high 25 for the Mystics. I don't think she was cut, however. Ah, after a little digging, Washington signed her as a free agent, so Phoenix let her go.
    Great game by Mitchell.

Who is playing later this week????

Peddy wins versus Mitchell, but it was split-decision.

ZagDad

In yesterday's second round action, Minnesota edged Phoenix in a nail biter. Big Syl returned after missing more than a month, and looked rustier than an old iron gate. I saw that coming from a mile away. They benched her in the 4th quarter, probably shouldn't have played her at all. Dantas had a big game, their pair of guards Dangerfield and Sims woke up in the second half. Taurasi had a big game, including a pair of 4 point plays in the 4th quarter, their frontcourt played well, but Skylar Diggins-Smith was horrendous and shot them right out of it.

In the second game, Connecticut beat the snot out of LA, just like they did last year. Chelsea Gray was a complete no show, just like last year. At least Parker played well, but she didn't get much help. Lots of contributors for the Sun.

Semifinals are Las Vegas vs. Connecticut and Seattle vs. Minnesota.

In Bizarro World, the 10-12 regular season Sun keep getting better every round of the playoffs. After handily defeating LA in a one off round 2, they just absolutely beat the snot out of #1 seeded Las Vegas in Game 1 of the semis. Game 1 of Seattle vs. Minnesota has been postponed due to an "inconclusive" covid test. How in the world could anyone get it after they'll all been locked in the bubble for the last 2 months or however long it's been?

Alyssa Thomas got injured 5 minutes into the game, and the Sun still almost won Game 2. Las Vegas just kinda dinked around until late into Q4. I'm not impressed w/ the Aces, I don't see a sense of urgency. A'ja Wilson has been great, the rest of the team all seem to be struggling.

Apparently Seattle had 3 players w/ inconclusive tests on Sunday. All 3 have had 2 tests come back negative since then. Must've been a bad test batch on Sunday? Fowles is out, but she looked so unready to play on Thursday I think they are better off without her.