Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: actual live women's basketball today

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Sydney Wiese (LA/Oregon State) got another start scoring 17 points (6-10 overall & 5-7 from 3).
    She's had a really nice stretch of games. If my math is right the last 3 games she's scored 50 points, shooting 18-27 from the floor and 10-15 behind the arc. Really glad to see it, she's a classy person.

I don't like your chances of making the WNBA if you are a collegiate Wbb player.
    Yep, unfortunately true. And it seems like it gets harder to make a roster if you don't make the cut within the first couple years after you graduate. There are a few exceptions like Allie Quigley and Sami Whitcomb, but that's really rare.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    ESPN reporting Chennedy Carter will be out for 2 weeks. With the scheduling this season, that's a significant chunk of games. Will she get in enough to still be the favorite for ROY?
    Prossibly.

Chennedy has played in 7 games and only 3 minutes of the 8th game. If she is out the entire 2 weeks, she will miss at least 6 games leaving her an additional 8 games to make her mark. If no other rookie has a great season, CC could still win ROTY if she finishes strong. If a rookie (like Sabally) stays consistent or improves over the next 10+ games it will be very tough.

ZagDad

Looks like Sue Bird is "probable" for the Seattle Storm's game tonight versus the Atlanta Dream.

No quite sure why the Storm would play Bird as a bone bruise injury requires rest and time to heal and the Dream are a bottom dweller with their best player still out. The Storm should not need Bird to win this game. A little more rest certainly does not hurt.

Seattle vs Atlanta tonight at 7:00 PM PST live streamed on twitter.

ZagDad

Seattle vs Atlanta tonight at 7:00 PM PST live streamed on twitter.
    I was gonna try watching it, but you have to have an account, and I'm not starting a twitter account!

It's also on JoeTV in the Seattle area, which we used to get, but we switched back to Comcast/Xfinity and they don't have it. Their sports channel package SUCKS big time. Don't get ESPN2, don't get EPNU, don't get Big 10 Network, don't get as many of the Pac12 channels, I don't think they have FoxSports, definitely don't have CBSSports Network.

Looks like the Storm demolished Atlanta, as they should. Seamless transition to having Bird back. She had 9 points and 7 assists, Canada had 10 assists off the bench. Whitcomb did it again w/ 20 points on 6-9 behind the arc. Stewie had an off night offensively, didn't matter. Loyd also had 20 and Clark had 16.

Chicago ran away from Phoenix. Sloot w/ 12 points and 5 assists (dang it, Bird actually gained on her). Griner w/ another heartless, gutless performance. I just don't get the feeling she loves playing basketball. 9 points and 6 rebounds on 3-11 shooting, no blocked shots. How can she possibly not block a shot?

Connecticut had a come from behind narrow win over Dallas. I think the Sun are on a 3 game winning streak now.

You can't make stuff like this up. Blake Dietrich was with the Storm last year, barely played, barely did anything. This year she's w/ the Dream. In 2 games against the Storm she's scored 29 points. She's scored a combined 14 points in Atlanta's 7 other games, including 4 scoreless games. Nursing a bit of a grudge maybe? She should pretend she's playing against Seattle every game!

I was gonna try watching it, but you have to have an account, and I'm not starting a twitter account!

It's also on JoeTV in the Seattle area, which we used to get, but we switched back to Comcast/Xfinity and they don't have it. Their sports channel package SUCKS big time. Don't get ESPN2, don't get EPNU, don't get Big 10 Network, don't get as many of the Pac12 channels, I don't think they have FoxSports, definitely don't have CBSSports Network.
    I am with you, I also do not have a twitter account and have no intention of getting one. I only have a facebook account so I can get pictures and videos of my granddaughter posted by my daughter. I am so anti-social media.

Never heard of JoeTV and I just checked my Comcast and it is not on the package that we have.

ZagDad

At least it's available for streaming, but...

LA vs. Washington was supposed to be on ESPN at 4. Turned it on, there's an MLB game that was only in the 5th inning. Which means by the time the baseball game is over, so will the WNBA game be probably. Don't know if there was a rain delay or something, not sure how else they could screw up the scheduling so badly.

NY managed to stay close but let one slip away again at the end against Indiana. It was a 2 point game inside a minute left but they ended up losing by 7.

Washington continues to struggle. Trailing LA by 13 at the half. Sparks are getting a ton of production from their bench. Washington is pretty much Ariel Atkins and nothing else so far this game.

Sorry I'm a little late SeaCat. Real life interferes with my board posting at times.

LA vs Washington game is on ESPN2.

Lynx vs Aces immediately following the LA vs Washington game. Don't know if it will be on ESPN or ESPN2.

ZagDad

Wiese cooled off completely, but LA cruised to a fairly easy win. Meesseman had a double-double, but she struggled most of the game and looked frustrated. 4 of 5 starters from the Championship team are currently unavailable for the Mystics.

Las Vegas outlasted Minnesota, Aces all alone in 2nd place. Several teams are lumped together in 3rd. I might be forgetting about somebody, but I think MVP race is shaping up as Stewie vs. Aj'a currently.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on the WNBA, SeaCat.

Been a little busy lately and have not kept my end up on the WNBA.

Thanks for the help,

ZagDad

You can't make stuff like this up. Blake Dietrich was with the Storm last year, barely played, barely did anything. This year she's w/ the Dream. In 2 games against the Storm she's scored 29 points. She's scored a combined 14 points in Atlanta's 7 other games, including 4 scoreless games. Nursing a bit of a grudge maybe? She should pretend she's playing against Seattle every game!
    Thanks for the info, I had no idea.

Maybe put her on the practice squad and only bring her up for the Storm games.

If only the WNBA had a practice squad.

ZagDad

Wiese cooled off completely, but LA cruised to a fairly easy win. Meesseman had a double-double, but she struggled most of the game and looked frustrated. 4 of 5 starters from the Championship team are currently unavailable for the Mystics.
    Washington only had 8 available players yesterday. Got permission from the league to sign Stella Johnson today (yesterday?) who had just been cut by the Chicago Sky for a total of 9 players. I see that Stella played 5-1/2 minutes for Washington today with either no practice or one practice with the team. Not a big stat line but she scored 2 points and had a blocked shot for the Mystics.

ZagDad

Sky fall to the Sun 77-74. Chicago jumped out to an early lead, but a bad 2nd quarter put them behind and they never quite recovered. Closed to within 1 twice inside the final minute but couldn't get a stop when they needed it. Sloot w/ 14 points/7 assists.

Seattle built their lead to 20 right at the end of the 3rd quarter. Looks like the bench is going to finish off the game. Bird had 5 assists in 21 minutes, probably not gonna go back in, so Sloot gains a couple back.

It was a day of blowout wins today. Aces over Mystics, Sparks over Fever and Lynx over Liberty. Quality depth is gonna be huge this year w/ the scheduling. LA keeps getting big production from their bench.

It was a day of blowout wins today. Aces over Mystics, Sparks over Fever and Lynx over Liberty. Quality depth is gonna be huge this year w/ the scheduling. LA keeps getting big production from their bench.
    May not be much better tomorrow:

Dallas vs Phoenix 10:00 AM PST on ABC
    Seattle vs Connecticut 12:00 Noon PST on ABC
    Chicago Sky vs Atlanta 1:00 PM PST on Fox Sports SE and the "U"

ZagDad

Some bad news for the Minnesota Lynx:

Minnesota Lynx center Sylvia Fowles suffered a right calf strain Thursday and is out indefinitely, the team announced Friday.

Fowles was injured just over a minute into Thursday's 87-77 loss to the Las Vegas Aces and left the court in Bradenton, Florida, limping and in obvious pain.

The Lynx said further updates will be issued when more information is available.
    ZagDad

Well we got at least 1 close game today. Dallas-Phoenix was back and forth, entertaining game. Griner and Ogunbowale both went off. Wings prevailed. Taurasi was back, had 5 assists.

Seattle ran away from Connecticut. Natasha Howard finally looked like herself. It's scary the way they've been winning without her contributing much. Bird w/ 3 assists.

Chicago up 10 early in Q3, Vandersloot has 4 assists thus far. She hasn't quite been the assist machine the last several games.

Chicago ran away 92-67. Sloot got plenty of rest, only played 24 minutes. 14 points on 6-9 shooting 5 assists.

I think the best thing about today was there was two (2) games on ABC.

While it is great to see all the games televised on CBS-SN, Twitter, and even ESPN2, which has not always been the case, if the WNBA is going to grow into a major, women's sport, they need to get their brand, their sport out there for the public to see. Lots of people don't have access to CBS-SN, Twitter, ESPN2 so your viewing audience is significantly reduced.

Getting games on major networks or even ESPN will go a long way towards starting to but their brand out in front of people.

ZagDad

Hopefully Carter's injury is minor. Ionescu is out for an indefinite time frame. ROY might need a huge asterisk if the top 2 players end up missing a significant chunk of the year. Next in line would probably be either Sabally or Dangerfield?
    Yep, ESPN seems to agree with you.

Rookie of the Year: Crystal Dangerfield, Minnesota Lynx

She would be the lowest draft pick -- by a lot -- to earn the honor. Dangerfield was the fourth pick in the second round, at No. 16 overall, in April. Tracy Reid, the inaugural winner of the rookie honor in 1998, was the No. 7 pick, and no one taken lower than that has ever won the award.

It was a bit of a surprise to see Dangerfield drop so low in the draft. But she was happy going to the Lynx, where she has been reunited with former UConn teammate Napheesa Collier, last year's Rookie of the Year.

Dangerfield (13.6 PPG, 3.2 APG) has ascended in the rookie race both because of how she has played and because of injuries to other candidates. Top pick Sabrina Ionescu of the New York Liberty has been out since July 31 because of an ankle injury and seems unlikely to return. No. 4 pick Chennedy Carter (17.0 PPG) of the Atlanta Dream became the rookie award front-runner, and she still might win it. But she has been out because of an ankle injury since Monday, and was projected to miss two weeks. That would be six games, which is a little over a quarter of the season.

The No. 2 pick, Dallas Wings forward Satou Sabally (11.2 PPG, 7.0 RPG), also is a strong candidate, but she has missed the past two games because of a back injury. Seattle forward Ezi Magbegor (7.1 PPG, 2.6 RPG in 13.6 minutes) and Indiana Fever point guard Julie Allemand (7.8 PPG, 5.5 APG) are two other names to watch.
    Article link: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...s-mvp-favorite

ZagDad

Like I said, huge asterisk if 3 other top rookies end up missing significant playing time. That's all we need, another UConn alum getting ROY so they have something else to crow about.