Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: actual live women's basketball today

Bird missing another game for Seattle. Storm don't seem to need her today. Crushing Phoenix 42-23 at the half.

Seattle was up 20 thru Q3, nearly gave it away. Hung on 74-68.

I have no idea who the best team in the league is. With so many key players missing, and everybody playing almost every other day, a lot of teams looking tired and sloppy. Might have to put an asterisk next to whoever wins the Championship this season.

For the second game in a row, Seattle blew a big lead in the second half and almost lost a game they had well in hand. A pretty experienced team (even w/o Bird) to be having these issues.

Today's game featured starting center for the Storm shooting 2-11 from the field (centers should shoot near 50%) and Breanna Stewart (Sea - former MVP of the league) having a team high 7 turnovers. Brittney Griner (Pho) finally had a decent game with 20 points and 8 rebounds.

Seattle is once again at the top of the league at 6-1 while Phoenix drops down to 4-3.

Chicago leading the one-win Connecticut Sun 36-27 halfway through the 2nd quarter. CV having a typical game with 3 points, 1 rebound, 5 assists and only 1 turnover.

ZagDad

Chicago up at half 52-46

Another game without defense for the SKY.

CV has 7 pts, 6 assists, 1 rebound to go with 2 t.o's.

ZagDad

Connecticut has to be better than their record indicates.

Sky up 6 at the half. Sloot on the way to another good game w/ 7 points/6 assists.

I don't know if I would say Griner had a good game. She hit shots late, but missed a ton of bunnies in Q3. For someone 6-9, there's no excuse for her missing from point blank. It's not like anybody can challenge her shot.

Taurasi appeared to re-aggravate her back injury in Q4. Limped off the floor, in obvious pain.

Stewie got hot briefly in Q3, hit 3 3's in a short span. Other than that she had a fairly bad game. Loyd was pretty good throughout. Clark had a good first half. Whitcomb with a pretty decent game off the bench. They were referring to her as an Australian. I was like "wait a minute." She became a citizen, but she's from California, she's an American. That seems pretty dumb to me. Is Sloot Hungarian?

Sky win 100-93. Sloot hardly scored in the 2nd half but finished w/ 11 assists. Looks like Quigley and Deshields both might've had their best game of the season.

Sloot pushed her average to 8.9 assists/game with today's effort. Barring some kind of disaster she'll lead the league for the 4th year in a row (by average, Clarendon had more total assists in 2017).

LA blew out Minnesota (no Fowles), Seattle all alone in 1st place now. Sparks got a ton of bench scoring, 50+.

A couple of comments to wrap up yesterday.

1. Sloot is now averaging 8.9 apg and is 3.0 apg ahead of #2, Diana Taurasi at 5.9 apg.
    2. Diana Taurasi hurt her hip/side near the end of the game yesterday. Images have proven negative, but no timetable given for her return.

With LA's win today over the Lynx, as SeaCat said, Seattle all alone in first even w/o Sue Bird. Chicago Sky have now moved up to a tie in second place.

ZagDad

Wow, Liberty might be about to win their second game in a row. Aces kinda disappointing so far.

Never mind, Lib folded down the stretch. Too much Aj'a Wilson.

Nope,

Liberty snatches defeat from the jaws of Victory. Wilson (LAS Vegas) made a floater with just under 7 seconds to go. Liberty missed a couple of shots at the end and finished with a turnover.

Las Vegas now is tied for 2nd in the standings.

Chicago vs Seattle tomorrow at 6:00 PM on ESPN2.

ZagDad

For those wanting to watch a little more WNBA today, Washington is playing Indiana, nearing the half, on ESPN2.

ZagDad

Halftime, Indiana is laying it on the Washington Mystics 52-39. Shooting 54.3% overall and 54.5% from 3 kind of lends itself to scoring 52 points in a half. Julie Allemand (Ind) is having quite a game with 9 pts (3-3 from 3), 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocked shots in the first half. If Emma Meesseman (17 points in 1st half) was not playing for Washington, they would not even be in the same zip code as Indiana.

Sydney Wiese (Oregon State) got another start for Los Angeles today and responded with 15 points (6-8 overall, 3-4 from 3) and 3 rebounds in 16 minutes. I see that in addition to Sylvia Fowles not playing for Minnesota, Kayla Alexander and Odyssey Sims also did not play today.

ZagDad

Connecticut got their 2nd win of the season by upsetting Atlanta 93-82 dropping the Dream to 2-6. Probably did not help that Atlanta's sensational rookie point guard, Chennedy Carter only played 3d minutes in today's game. Chennedy Carter apparently suffered am ankle injury early in the game. The extent of the injury is yet to be determined.

Phoenix is up by single digits over Dallas most of the way through the 3rd quarter. Phoenix is playing without Diana Taurasi today who injured her back in Phoenix's last game. The injury is not the same back injury that sidelined Diana for much of last year. Taurasi's date of return to the Phoenix line-up is TBD. Brittney Griner has her first double-double of the year today and Skyler Diggins-Smith is covering the scoring load with Taurasi out today with 21 points in the 3rd quarter.

Remember Seattle Storm vs Chicago Sky at 6:00 PM on ESPN2. Catch a chance to watch former Lady Zag Courtney Vandersloot lead the Chicago Sky.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 08-10-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Add Carter's Injury Info

Hopefully Carter's injury is minor. Ionescu is out for an indefinite time frame. ROY might need a huge asterisk if the top 2 players end up missing a significant chunk of the year. Next in line would probably be either Sabally or Dangerfield?

Sabally just limped off the court in Dallas' game against Phoenix.

ZagDad

Sloot and Sky look all kinds of out of sorts. Trailing big at the half 46-28. Stewie putting on a show, so is Whitcomb.

Storm scored 33 in Q1. They pretty much went to sleep in Q2, but Chicago barely made any progress, and then Seattle went on a little run to end the half.

Sky making a nice run in Q3, Seattle with what has become their normal collapse in the 2nd half. I don't know what their deal is. Sloot w/ 7 assists, about 3 minutes left in Q3.

Seattle woke up and built their lead back up. Looking like the best team in the league. Doesn't seem like they miss Bird much.

Yeah, when Seattle gets Sue Bird, Epiphanny Prince and Crystal Langhorne back, they are going to be very tough.

Sky let the game get away in the 1st quarter when they had 8 turnovers. Seattle made the Sky pay and the Sky never could make it all the way back.

When you let Seattle shoot 51.4% overall and 52.9% from 3 versus the Sky's 43.8% overall and 36.8% from 3 and combine it with Chicago's 21 turnovers easy to see why Chicago did not hit their average of 88+ points per game and subsequently lost the game.

Chicago will be better when Diamond Deshields gets back to full strength but they have to value the ball much more if they want to be successful.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Yeah, when Seattle gets Sue Bird, Epiphanny Prince and Crystal Langhorne back, they are going to be very tough.
    I started typing a long rant, but I'll scale it back. I honestly don't think Prince or Langhorne have much left to offer. Tuck is awful so far this year. That's pretty much 3 wasted roster spots as far as I'm concerned. Bird was still playing well before she got hurt. Clark and Whitcomb aren't spring chickens either, but both are clearly still key contributors. I just don't like the common practice in the league of keeping vets hanging around indefinitely even when it's clear their tank is about empty, at the expense of younger players who aren't given an honest chance to crack a roster. Everybody seems to do it, the coaches must love their veterans, but to my eye there are a certain number of players in the league who just don't belong. Maybe it's a Seattle specialty. I won't ever forget the last 2 years of Noelle Quinn's career, she couldn't do anything, yet there she was taking up a roster spot with the Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I started typing a long rant, but I'll scale it back. I honestly don't think Prince or Langhorne have much left to offer. Tuck is awful so far this year. That's pretty much 3 wasted roster spots as far as I'm concerned. Bird was still playing well before she got hurt. Clark and Whitcomb aren't spring chickens either, but both are clearly still key contributors. I just don't like the common practice in the league of keeping vets hanging around indefinitely even when it's clear their tank is about empty, at the expense of younger players who aren't given an honest chance to crack a roster. Everybody seems to do it, the coaches must love their veterans, but to my eye there are a certain number of players in the league who just don't belong. Maybe it's a Seattle specialty. I won't ever forget the last 2 years of Noelle Quinn's career, she couldn't do anything, yet there she was taking up a roster spot with the Storm.
    Considering the financial position the WNBA is in, you would think that the teams would let go some of the high priced, former MVPs who don't play up to thier price tag and give some lower cost rookies a chance at the end of the bench.

Due to Covid, this year was even worse, as the teams cut their draft picks without even a pre-season camp and exhibition games so the rookies had no chance to compete for a position. If the team liked what they saw in college, you got kept, if you were not sensational in college, you got cut. This year, 16 of the 36 picks made the opening day roster. Since there are only 12 teams with 12 person rosters there are only 144 positions in the WNBA. With 16 of this year's draft picks making the opening day roster, the draft picks accounted for just over 11% of the total members of the WNBA.

I don't like your chances of making the WNBA if you are a collegiate Wbb player.

ZagDad

Not much interesting in the WNBA tonight.

The Las Vegas Aces laid it to the Indiana Fever 98 - 79. The Aces shot 52.0% overall & 50.0% from 3 while Indiana shot a very respectable 47.9% overall they clanked themselves to a horrible 16.7% from 3 (3-18). Indiana had no answer for Angel McCoughtry (20 points @ 9-11 overall) and Jackie Young (17 points @ 6-7). The Aces stay tied with Minnesota for 2nd place at 6-2 and Indiana falls to 3-5, tied for 7th place.

The Minnesota Lynx maintained pace with Las Vegas by thoroughly dispatching the Washington Mystics 68 - 48. Sylvia Fowles was back for the Lynx and it showed as she was the leading scorer (16 points) and Leading rebounder (13 boards) for the Lynx. Minnesota should have won by much more but they only shot 38.8% overall and 30% from 3. Thankfully for the Lynx, Washington was even more pathetic shooting 29.5% overall and 21.1% from 3. Minnesota stays tied for 2nd at 6-2 and Washington drops to a tie for 7th at 3-5.

The LA Sparks doubled up the New York Liberty 28-14 in the first quarter and extended the lead to 17 at the half. While the Liberty were game, they never could make up much of the difference finally losing 93 - 78. LA shot lights out (49.3% overall & 11-17 or 64.7% from 3) while NY contributed 26 turnovers to add to the Sparks cause. Sydney Wiese (LA/Oregon State) got another start scoring 17 points (6-10 overall & 5-7 from 3). LA had five players score in double figures. For NY, not much was happening other than Jazmine Jones who scored 24 points on 50% shooting (overall & from 3). The win moves LA up to a tie for 5th with Chicago at 5-3. The loss keeps NY in last place at 1-7, the lone team with a single victory on the season.

Tomorrows games:

Connecticut vs Dallas at 4:00 PM PST on CBS Sports Network. Connecticut will be trying to beat Dallas and move into a tie with the Wings in the Standings.
    Phoenix vs Chicago at 6:00 PM PST. CV to continue her pursuit of more assists. Both teams are 5-3 and are tied for 4th in the standings.
    Seattle vs. Atlanta at 7:00 PM PST. Seattle should win easily. Atlanta's star rookie Chennedy Carter has an ankle injury and is expected to be out a couple of weeks.

ZagDad

ESPN reporting Chennedy Carter will be out for 2 weeks. With the scheduling this season, that's a significant chunk of games. Will she get in enough to still be the favorite for ROY?