Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: actual live women's basketball today

Default actual live women's basketball today

I don't watch a lot of WNBA, but it's been so long since I've seen anything. Caught the tail end of Seattle-New York and watched most of LA-Phoenix. Chicago not playing today.

Seattle has a really deep bench now. 2 starters from last year have gone back to being reserves because of injured players coming back, and they have a young big from Australia who looks promising. NY is extremely young and just not very talented overall (somewhere, a certain Zag fan will probably be happy that Ionescu went 4-17 from the floor and 0-8 behind the arc in her debut).

LA-Pho was a good game for a half...then LA ran away and the Merc pretty much quit trying. Griner should be the most dominant player in the league, but she has no heart.

I know it's not Zags related, but there has been a dearth of live sports and I'm tired of hearing about covid.

Thanks SeaCat,

Three WNBA games on tap for today.

Game 1 - Seattle-New York - Seattle is loaded, while New York has 7 rookies and a new head coach. In addition, three players for New York, Asia Durr and Rebecca Allen won't be playing this year and another player Megan Walker has had a bout with Covid-19 and is in quarantine in the bubble but missed today's game. Game went as expected with Seattle stars Breanna Stewart looking healed from her Achilles tendon tear and Sue Bird looking healed from her injuries last year. I will give Sabrina Ionescu a little bit of a break. She did shoot poorly from the field, but she ended up with 12 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists while playing against last year's defensive player of the year, Natasha Howard.

Game 2 - LA-Phoenix - As SeaCat said, a good game for the 1st half then LA outscored Phoenix 30-8 in the 3rd quarter to run away with the game. Phoenix's Diana Taurasi, who is also coming back from injury, had a decent, but not outstanding game with 16 points (4-12 overall and 1-7 from 3), 2 rebounds and 1 steal but no assists and 4 turnovers. Phoenix starter, Nia Coffey only played 9 minutes and left with an ankle injury. Of Pacific NW interest, LA Sparks backup guard, Sydney Weise (Oregon State) played 18 minutes with 5 points (2-3 overall, 0-1 from 3 & 1-1 from the charity stripe), 1 rebound and 2 turnovers.

Game 3 - Washington-Indiana - Defending champion Washington Mystics had no trouble with Indiana prevailing 101-76 despite playing without reigning MVP Elena Delle Donne, who is rehabbing a back injury, and newly acquired center Tina Charles, who was medically excused for the season. Washington was also without Natasha Cloud, who is focusing on social justice causes this season, and LaToya Sanders. Washington shot 77.8% from the field in the first quarter and made 35 of their first 50 overall and simply ran away and hid from the Fever. Indiana outscored Washington 20-9 in the 4th quarter to make the game only sort of respectable. Washington looks every bit the Championship team they are and Indiana looked like the last place team they were last year. Indianas #3 pick, Lauren Cox from Baylor did not play in this game.

Tomorrow's Games:
    - At 9:00 AM pacific time, the Connecticut Sun will play the Minnesota Lynx of ESPN.

- At 12:00 Noon pacific time, the Chicago Sky will play the Las Vegas Aces on ABC. The Aces ended the Sky's season last year in the playoffs in a great basketball game. As a Pacific NW tie-in, Chicago features Gonzaga's own Courtney Vandersloot and the #8 pick in the draft, Oregon's Ruthy Hebard. Las Vegas's starting point guard, Kelsey Plum (University of Washington) is out for the year with a torn Achilles tendon. The Aces starting center Liz Cambridge has received a medical exemption for 2020 and will not play this year.

- At 5:00 PM pacific time, the Dallas Wings will play the Atlanta Dream on CBS-SN. Dallas features 3 of the top 7 draft picks in this year's draft while Atlanta has the #4 overall pick, Chennedy Carter from Texas A&M.

Enjoy the WNBA, it may be the only women's basketball you see for a while.

ZagDad

ZagDad I think EDD is opting to sit out the year as well. She sought a medical exemption from the league but was denied. I think the Mystics have said they will pay her salary regardless. She has ongoing complications from Lyme's disease.

I didn't get to watch the Mystics game. 3rd year player Myisha Hines-Allen, who has not done much previously, went off today. 20+ in the first half and finished w/ 27, 11-17 from the floor. Emma Meeaseman is the player everybody is assuming would pick up the slack for the missing players.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    ZagDad I think EDD is opting to sit out the year as well. She sought a medical exemption from the league but was denied. I think the Mystics have said they will pay her salary regardless. She has ongoing complications from Lyme's disease.

I didn't get to watch the Mystics game. 3rd year player Myisha Hines-Allen, who has not done much previously, went off today. 20+ in the first half and finished w/ 27, 11-17 from the floor. Emma Meeaseman is the player everybody is assuming would pick up the slack for the missing players.
    I had not heard that EDD had formally said she was sitting out the season. I know EDD was not happy with the WNBA medical board's decision that did not award her a medical exception, but according to them, Lyme's Disease, is not on the accepted list of compromised medical conditions, so they were just going by the book. Lucky for EDD that the Mystics offered to pick up her salary. Personally, i don't root very hard for EDD and Sylvia Fowles since both forced their way out of Chicago while under contract and in Fowles case, likely may have cost the Sky a championship.

Myisha Hines-Allen had made seven 3s in her entire career coming into today, then makes 3-4 from 3 today. When its your day, its your day.

Washington is not going to give Seattle or LA their crown very easily even without EDD or Tina Charles.

I forgot the NW connection in tomorrows Connecticut Sun vs Minnesota Lynx game. Local Spokane product Briann January was traded to Connecticut this past year from Phoenix. She has had the Covid-19 virus, so I do not know if she is going to play tomorrow, but she is going to play for the Sun this year.

ZagDad

I might've jumped to conclusions. Maybe it's not official about EDD sitting out and she just wanted to have it as an option.

I hear ya about players forcing trades. It's the way it goes in the league. Tina Charles did it when she went from Connecticut to New York, I'm pretty sure Cambage pulled it when she left Dallas, I'm sure there have been others. I think Chiney didn't leave Connecticut on very good terms. It seems to be a pattern that everybody leaves Connecticut.

I didn't see it, but the Sky pulled out a 2 point win and got a small measure of revenge for that heartbreaking playoff loss last year against the Aces. Sloot dropped 11 dimes, doing what she does.

Summary of Sunday's WNBA games:

Connecticut outplayed Minnesota for 3 quarters and entered the 4th quarter with a 7-point lead. The driver for Connecticut bus forgot to stop for gas and the Sun looked like they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter as Minnesota outscored the Sun 27-12 in the 4th for a 77-69 victory. Bonner and Thomas scored 39 points, but the rest of the team only could score 30 points. What really did Connecticut was their shooting from 3 as they went 2-19 (10.5%) from long range. As expected, Briann January did not play for the Sun.

Typical Chicago Sky game, all offense and not much defense. The Sky's big off-season pick-up 6'6" Azura Stevens, started out on fire and had 12 points at half. However, she disappeared in the 2nd half by not scoring any points. Much like the Zags, Chicago played nine players (all 9 scored) with 8 of the players getting more than 10 minutes of playing time. The Sky shot a good 45.9% overall and mediocre 33.3% from 3. CV had a typical CV game with 8 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal and 11 assists with only 3 turnovers (3.67 assist to turnover ratio) but she did not shoot very well with all 8 of her points coming in a row, right before half to bring the Sky within 2. Las Vegas was (and will be all year) without 2 starters (the Center - Liz Cambridge and PG Kelsey Plum). As has been the case since Sylvia Fowles left the Sky, Chicago cannot defend the key. The Ace's new acquisition, All-Star Angel McCoughtry (F) lit up the Sky by scoring 25 points (on 11- 17) and A'ja Wilson (C) scored 22 points (8-16) and Dearica Hamby (F) added 14 points (7-12). Luckily for the Sky, CV,s wife, Ally Quigley, who had a very unremarkable game, hit a contested 3 with just over 14 seconds left to win the game.

The Dallas-Atlanta game was a fun game to watch as Atlanta put up 105 points to overcome Dallas' game 95 points. Defense was essentially non-existent in the game with a lot of up and down the court. Sabine Sabally (Oregon) had a decent first game scoring 11 points (5-11. 1-3), 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals Dallas shot 43.6% overall and a very good 46.4% from long range. Atlanta was led by a great game by Monique Billings who had a career-high 30 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, while rookie Chennedy Carter added 18 points and eight assists. Both teams looked significantly better than they were last year.

Tuesday's Games:
    - Washington Mystics vs Connecticut Sun @ 4:00 PM PST on NBA-TV
    - LA Sparks vs Chicago Sky @ 6:00 PM PST on NBA-TV
    - Seattle Storm vs Minnesota Lynx @ &:00 PM PST on CBS-SN

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 07-27-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Results of Tuesday's WNBA games:

Chicago Sky took down the LA Sparks 96-78. Kahleah Copper and Azura Stevens had 21 points apiece and the Chicago Sky beat the Los Angeles Sparks 96-78 on Tuesday night. Cheyenne Parker added 12 points and Allie Quigley, Courtney Vandersloot and Gabby Williams scored 11 apiece for Chicago (2-0). Vandersloot finished with 10 assists. Stevens and Copper each grabbed a career-high nine rebounds. Sky rookie Ruthie Hebard (Oregon) got in for 6 minutes but did not make the box score. Sydney Weise (Oregon State) played 17 minutes for LA scoring 8 pts (2-4 from 3, 2-2 Free Throws).

Seattle exerted their superiority over the Minnesota Lynx 90-66. Breanna Stewart had 18 points and 10 rebounds and the Seattle Storm beat the Minnesota Lynx 90-66 on Tuesday night to spoil a record-breaking night by Sylvia Fowles. Fowles, who went into the game needing seven rebounds to become the WNBA's all-time leader, grabbed a missed 3-point shot by Stewart in the closing seconds of the first half to move past former teammate and current Lynx assistant coach Rebekkah Brunson into first on the career rebounds list with 3,357.

The Washington Mystics kept pace with the Chicago Sky in the East by using a big 3rd quarter to overcome a 4 pt halftime deficit by beating the Connecticut Sun 94-89. Aerial Powers scored a career-high 27 points on 10-of-14 shooting. Ariel Atkins and Myisha Hines-Allen each scored 16 points for the defending champion Mystics (2-0) and Emma Meesseman added 12 points and a career-best tying eight assists. Alyssa Thomas scored 28 points and grabbed 11 rebounds and DeWanna Bonner had 29 points, nine boards and five assists for Connecticut (0-2). Bonner also had two steals to become one of six active players with at least 400 career steals (401).

Wednesday's Games:
    - Phoenix Mercury vs Indiana Fever @ 4:00 PM PST on NBA-TV
    - New York Liberty vs Dallas Wings @ 5:00 PM PST on CBS-SN
    - Atlanta Dream vs Las Vegas Aces @ 7:00 PM PST on CBS-SN

ZagDad

Watched the 2nd half of the Sky's game today. Back and forth affair w/ plenty of scoring, not as much defense. Chicago was up 6 late, nearly blew it. Dallas had the ball and a chance to win inside 10 seconds left, but Chicago came up w/ a steal and Sloot iced it w/ a pair of FTs w/ .1 second left. She had a nice game, 14 points 10 assists 5 rebounds. Dang, it is such a shame she'll never play for the US National Team. She is the best PG in the country right now IMO. Sky keep winning 1 possession games, it's kinda their thing apparently.

Defense? Defense?

We don't need no stink'in defense.

ZagDad

I watched the Storm-Sun game. Seattle looked pretty bad in the 1st half, but found the range from behind the arc and cruised to a fairly easy win over Connecticut. Sun are 0-5. Were in the finals last year, looks like they won't be a playoff team this year.

There are 2 former Washington Huskies in the WNBA. One is obviously Plum. Do you know the other? She took the long road, was a WNBA rookie in her late 20s. Had a big game off the bench today.

As a side bar, UConn Husky fans are really proud of all their alums, for good reason, but they've had several bomb draft picks and currently have several players in the league who probably don't garner a roster spot. 2 of them were going at it in this game. I was glad the Storm finally got rid of Mosqueda-Lewis, but they replaced her w/ Tuck who is probably even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    There are 2 former Washington Huskies in the WNBA. One is obviously Plum. Do you know the other? She took the long road, was a WNBA rookie in her late 20s. Had a big game off the bench today.
    Yep, Sami Whitcomb graduate of UW in 2010. Signed a training camp contract with the Chicago Sky in 2010 but did not make the final roster.

Played overseas in Germany for 2 years, spent the next 5 years in Australia (Rockingham & Perth) where she made quite a name for herself:

- WSBL All-Defensive First Team (2016)
    - 2-time WSBL Champion (2014, 2015)
    - 3-time WSBL Grand Final MVP (2013, 2014, 2015)
    - 3-time WSBL scoring title champion (2013, 2014, 2015)
    - 4-time WSBL All-Star Team (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)

Spent the last 2 years (2018-2020) in Montpellier, France where her team finished 2nd in the French league in 2018-2019 season.

She signed a WNBA free agent contract with Seattle in February, 2017 and is still on the Seattle roster. Looks like she has played in almost every game for Seattle over the past 3+ years but has only started 13 games in her career, all of them last year when both Sue Bird and Breanna Stewart were hurt. Has had a couple of break-out games with Seattle:

- Tied the WNBA record for most three’s made in a half (6) vs. New York on May 26, 2017
    - Recorded a career-high 22 points, including six 3-pointers, all coming in the second half vs. New York on May 26, 2017

For her career in Seattle, she averages just under 14 mpg, 5 ppg, (36.7% overall, 34.5% from 3 and 90.0 from the charity stripe) 1.5 rpg 0.8 spg and 1.3 apg.

Yes, I knew she was a UW grad before looking up her stats.

ZagDad

Just a few updates from the WNBA.

Sabrina Ionescu suffered a grade 3 ankle sprain in the 3rd game of the year. Depending on whether the ligament is torn or is still somewhat intact will determine the length of her recovery. Best guess is the NY will be out of the playoffs no matter when she comes back (only 22 game season) so it is unlikely you will see Sabrina back on the court this year. That sucks for both Sabrina, the NY Liberty and WNBA fans.

Sue Bird has a bruised bone in her knee. She is day-to-day, but a bruised bone will not play until it heals.

CV is once again leading the WNBA assists averaging 8.6 apg with Julie Allemand (ind) and Chelsea Gray (LA) tied for 2nd at 6.3 apg.

Dewanna Bonner (Con) is leading the scoring race at 23.0 ppg (even though her team has not won) with Arike Ogunbowale (Dal) in 2nd place at 20.0 ppg.

Sylvia Fowles (Min) is the leading rebounder at 12.3 rpg with Alyssa Thomas (Con) in 2nd place at 11.4 rpg. Surprise, Brittney Griner (Pho) is not in the top-10 in rpg.

Chennedy Carter, Rookie from Texas A&M is in front of the Rookie MVP. She is tied for 8th in the league in scoring at 17.4 ppg so far with a high game of 26 points.

Seattle, Chicago and Minnesota are tied for the top in the standings with 4-1 records. Phoenix, Washington and Las Vegas are the next three teams with records of 3-2.

ZagDad

Yeah, Sloot has been gaining a bit of ground on Bird, she's missed at least 2 games so far. She's not gaining much on Taurasi though, DT is playing fairly well and has good assist numbers.

Allemand is an interesting story, I just looked her up. Drafted in 2016 but this is her debut season in the WNBA, 24 year old rookie. On the Belgian National Team alongside Emma Meesseman.

It looks like this year could be a jumbled up mess. With a shortened schedule and not much rest between games, nobody looking dominant so far and quite a few teams are contenders.

I saw Whitcomb a little bit in college. She was good, but quite a few other UW players were significantly better who did not ever find a home in the WNBA. Something to be said for persistence. Sami is a role player, but she can get hot from 3, and she's an energy/hustle player, pesky defender. Her stats weren't eye popping but she played a key role in the Storm's Title in 2018.

Yep, we officially have a log jam. 7 of the 12 teams are either 4-1 or 3-2. Connecticut and New York both going 0-5 is helping everybody else out.

Some interesting games tomorrow on TV for the NW and Zag Wbb fans.

Seattle Storm vs Atlanta Dream on ESPN2 at 3:00 PM PST - Can the Storm slow down Atlanta Dream, rookie point guard, Chennedy Carter?
    Connecticut Sun vs Dallas Wings on NBA TV (Tape delayed) - Can the Sun get into the win column or can Dallas get to 0.500?
    Chicago Sky vs Phoenix Mercury on ESPN2 at 7:00 PM PST - Phoenix 1 game back of the Sky, can they pull even? Will the Sky pull out another close one? Will CV keep on her assist tear?

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Seattle Storm vs Atlanta Dream on ESPN2 at 3:00 PM PST - Can the Storm slow down Atlanta Dream, rookie point guard, Chennedy Carter?

ZagDad
    Bonner was averaging about 27 ppg prior to playing the Storm, they held her to 5 (all in the first half). That was largely due to Alysha Clark. Not sure if she'll get the assignment on Carter though.

Seattle looked like they were going to blow the doors off Atlanta, scoring 31 points in the first quarter and built a 15 point lead. Both teams scored 23 in the 2nd quarter, so Seattle still had a 15 point lead. Seattle looked like the much fresher team and Atlanta looked like they had a case of dead leg. Coming out after half, Seattle left their offense and their intensity in the locker room. After building a 17 point lead early in the 3rd quarter, Seattle only scored 13 points in the 3rd while allowing Atlanta to score 22 leaving the Seattle lead at 9 after 3 quarters. Breanna Stewart (Sea) who had 12 points in the 1st quarter only had 2 in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. In the 4th, Atlanta came all the way back to lead the game 71-70 before Seattle put on a little spurt to lead by 7. The lead for Seattle fluctuated from 1-5 the rest of the way. Seattle was lucky to win this game as they hit their free throws (25-27 - 92.6%) because had they had to rely on their 3-point shooting, it was not happening today as they only shot 6-21 (28.6%). Breanna Steward picked it up in the 4th to end up with 27 points shooting 50% from the field (9-11 from the charity strip) to go with 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal.

So how did the Atlanta rookie, Chennedy Carter do? Well nobody from Seattle could consistently guard her after the 1st quarter. Chennedy ended up with 35 points (!!) on 11-17 (64.7%) overall including 3-4 from 3 (75%) to go with 3 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and a block. The only negative on her game today was the 6 turnovers. No bad rookie, against the best defensive team in the WNBA.

ZagDad

Connecticut looks like they are going to get their first win of the season, leading by 20 over the Dallas Wings with only 1:43 to go in the 4th.

ZagDad

I didn't watch, but that is an impressive performance by Chennedy. Seattle hung on just barely.

Dallas' starters have been terrible 2 games in a row. No production outside of Ogunbowale. Starting PG Jefferson has 0 points and 1 assist combined in the last 2 games. That is just AWFUL.

Sloot is having a big game but Phoenix is comfortably ahead down the stretch.

The NY Liberty are trying to copy Connecticut and get their first win of the season.

Liberty leading the Washington Mystics by 9, 40-31 at half.

Minnesota Lynx trying to get even with Seattle at 5-1, but just hanging on 84-80 with 46 seconds to go in the 4th.

With her 35 point outburst yesterday, Chennedy Carter is up to #2 in average points per game averaging 20.3 ppg just 0.2 ppg behind the stat leader Dewanna Bonner of Connecticut at 20.5 ppg.

ZagDad

Minnesota hangs on versus Indiana 87-80 and keeps pace with Seattle at 5-1 while Indiana drops to 2-4.

NY Liberty (w/o Sabrina Ionescu) got their 1st win of the season by taking down the Washington Mystics (w/o Elena Delle Donne). Washington falls to 3-3.

LA Sparks versus Las Vegas Aces right now on ESPN2. Sydney Weise (Oregon State) got her second start of the year and has scored 7 of the LA Sparks first 9 points). Aces up early 12-9 halfway through the first quarter.

ZagDad

Las Vegas built a double digit lead a couple times, but LA keeps answering. Aces up by 1 at halftime. Wiese is having one of the best games of her career, 16 points on 5-6 shooting. 2 3's and 2 and-1's. She scored 7 really fast to start the game, and a 9 point outburst to end the half.

Las Vegas wins 86-82. Big games from Wilson and McCoughtry.

I've never really been a Chelsea Gray fan. She was horrendous this game. Totally selfish, just kept jacking shots and missing, no ball movement. That is not what you want from a PG. Pretty well cost her team the game.

Didn't see it, but Arike pretty clearly got the better of Chennedy today. Wings won and Ogunbowale had better stats across the board.