Thread: Norlander/Parrish podcast - almost all about the Zags

Default Norlander/Parrish podcast - almost all about the Zags

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cbs...etball-podcast

Almost the entire show is about Gonzaga. Some scoop on Petrusev's somewhat sleazy agent who implied that Gonzaga doesn't prep its players well for the pros. Both guys rip the agent to shreds. Both guys feel GU is still a title favorite and feel Timme is going to be a better player and prospect than Petrusev. Norlander feels Kispert and Joel A. will be back. Norlander also confirmed that Petrusev made this decision without telling a single staff member. A total left curve. Parrish spoke with the staff yesterday, and they are not the least bit worried about losing Petrusev. They are still very high on this team. They say Ballo is a total stud. Surprised they didn't talk more about the guards and wings. Again, that is going to be the underrated aspect of this team. Few has never had a PG like Suggs before. He isn't just a 5 star, but the #6 guy in his class and the 2nd rated PG. He's got way more weapons to work with that Oklahoma State's Cade Cunningham.

Thanks CDC! Great stuff

I’m imagining a starting lineup of:
    Suggs
    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Watson
    Ballo

Timme 6th man of year candidate averages double double @ 25 mpg+
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Thanks CDC! Great stuff

I’m imagining a starting lineup of:
    Suggs
    Ayayi
    Kispert
    Watson
    Ballo

Timme 6th man of year candidate averages double double @ 25 mpg+
    Sounds good to me! It's gonna be exciting. The question is, how good or how raw is Ballo? Still think Drew will get the start. He has proved himself. Few will go with him. Ballo off the bench.

In general e use 8 or 9 guys for the distance run. Who are the other 2 o3? I’m thinking we won’t know till half way through the regular season if we don’t play an OOC. Very good team in store.

I really like Harris. He's going to surprise a lot of people.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Norlander feels Kispert and Joel A. will be back. Norlander also confirmed that Petrusev made this decision without telling a single staff member. A total left curve.
    FWIW, in the Spokesman podcast with Larry Weir, Jim Meehan mentioned that Filip had tried to contact the staff. After practice, they got to their phones and saw the news as well as attempts by Filip to contact the staff. Euro soccer clubs often leak this kind of news even before the deal is signed. Wouldn’t be surprised if Filip agreed in principle to the deal, stepped out to call GU staff, and while he’s doing that club is leaking the deal to the press.

Few and Co have shown that offense is rarely, if ever, a concern for their teams. Although very nice to have, what Petrusev brings to the table is the thing that the team needs the least (assuming that he made no major strides in development in the offseason). His experience is an intangible thing, and that may be the contribution this team misses the most. If Ballo or Zakharov get back on defense, defend the pick and roll, and offer a modicum of resistance at the rim I have more confidence this year in winning a championship. In an effort to be as dispassionate as possible, I will say that from what I have read, Ballo and Zakharov are legitimate NBA prospects - whereas we all have seen that Petrusev is on the bubble. I have the impression that this will be more of a guard-oriented team, and as a resultwe may see more dribble penetration than in the past. I like the idea of having mobile bigs who can excel at cleaning things up around the rim and don't need to touch the ball as much to be productive.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    FWIW, in the Spokesman podcast with Larry Weir, Jim Meehan mentioned that Filip had tried to contact the staff. After practice, they got to their phones and saw the news as well as attempts by Filip to contact the staff. Euro soccer clubs often leak this kind of news even before the deal is signed. Wouldn’t be surprised if Filip agreed in principle to the deal, stepped out to call GU staff, and while he’s doing that club is leaking the deal to the press.
    That's good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Few and Co have shown that offense is rarely, if ever, a concern for their teams. Although very nice to have, what Petrusev brings to the table is the thing that the team needs the least (assuming that he made no major strides in development in the offseason). His experience is an intangible thing, and that may be the contribution this team misses the most. If Ballo or Zakharov get back on defense, defend the pick and roll, and offer a modicum of resistance at the rim I have more confidence this year in winning a championship. In an effort to be as dispassionate as possible, I will say that from what I have read, Ballo and Zakharov are legitimate NBA prospects - whereas we all have seen that Petrusev is on the bubble. I have the impression that this will be more of a guard-oriented team, and as a resultwe may see more dribble penetration than in the past. I like the idea of having mobile bigs who can excel at cleaning things up around the rim and don't need to touch the ball as much to be productive.
    Gonzaga is going to have really good guards, but I don't believe it will be a "guard oriented team." First, Mark Few has always had a great double post offense, and as we know that many of them have found their way to the NBA. I believe Few sets his offense around the high and low posts, and to beat Gonzaga a team must stop that. And as we've seen the last five years that has been darn near impossible. Last year it was Petrusev, Tillie and Timme. The year before that it was Clark, Hachimura and Tillie and Petrusev. Before that it was Karno and Sabonis. Next year it will Timme, Watson, Ballo, Zakharov. Who is going to stop these guys? But you are right about the guards. To make the post offenses work you need great guards. And Gonzaga will have that next year. I certainly understand the ferver about this team being a national championship team.

Go Zags!!!

I would agree, but some change is still in the air. Few has never worked with a super stud guard like Suggs before except thru his work with Team USA, and even there Suggs may have been better than anyone his coached at that spot. I expect to see some different things.

You have a great point,CDC. It's hard for me to imagine how good Suggs is because I agree that he must be considerably better than Dan Dickau, Pangos and Bell, William-Goss, Pargo. Few does seem to be an offensive genius. I believe that, and because I do I know he's going to know how to use all this talent. His offense is so flexible that it will draw out everyone's greatest attributes. Look what last year's team did offensively. It may have been the best ever, and there were no star guards at all, and really no real starts to say. What that team did last year was unbelievable. I'm not smart enough to really know what Few does with that offense, and I don't feel to bad because I don't think too many people do I do believe one thing though. The guards that signed with GU for next year have a good idea, or they would not have signed to play for Coach Few. I'm really excited to see these new guys play, and being a guard myself I'll really be pulling for our guards. I even think Ayayi could be the biggest star next year. He's certainly capable. I do remember when we signed him, there was talk about him having the skill set to one day play in the NBA. I think he was only like 16 or 17 when he signed with GU. Crazy excitement.

Go Zags!!!

thanks for the link CD,
    fun to listen to these guys,
    the whole ncaa basketball world, including most of us, were surprised at how powerful our team was last year, considering how much scoring power and stats from last year moved forward to this season w/out Perkins, Brandon, Rui, and Zach N.
    We were Sweet 16 bound, (would have been such a nice stat - 6 sweet 16's in a row), and maybe the whole thing. So thrilling to us fans for at least the last 17 years.
    now all we need to do is have a season, any kind of season.
    the race for vaccines, and progress being made is encouraging. March is 5 months away. March is 8 months away. I am crossing my fingers and hoping as much as possible for a season.