Thread: McCarthey Family - Leading the Way

Default McCarthey Family - Leading the Way

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Wonderful people. Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful news when we need it most.

I wonder if any members of the family visit these boards.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

What an incredible family.

My son (age 7-8 at the time) bumped into Phil in Tennessee a few years back. We were just walking around town, and I recognized him in a little candy/ice cream store. I hesitated approaching him, but he was just leisurely looking at some shelves, so I decided to say hello. I shook his hand, and told him it was an honor to meet him. He asked about my fandom, and even though I told him I was NOT alum, he was so nice and so cordial. I introduced him to Kaleb, and he kneeled down to talk to him at eye level. He showed Kaleb his class ring for GU, and told him that hard work is worth something in life, and to always strive to be your best! It was honestly a really cool moment. After the convo, I told Kaleb that this gentleman was the reason for the McCarthey Athletic Center, and he was excited to have met him.

All around cool moment, and Mr. McCarthey couldn't have been any nicer or more genuine.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Tom's grand kids go to the same school as my kids. He's a great guy.

I'll forever be grateful to Tom and our own Angelo Roncalli for supporting me and my fellow Gonzaga Cross Country Alumni and enthusiasts in increasing the scholarship support for that team. I had sent a few emails his way about that in a bit of a lobbying effort and he came through!! Later on at a school event where my kids and his grand kids were participating he came up to me and introduced himself and thanked me for bugging him about those scholarships! Just a super good guy. Typical of the McCarthey family!