Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU's international athletes and new ICE guidelines

Default GU's international athletes and new ICE guidelines

Jim Meehan takes a look at how new ICE guidelines may affect Gonzaga's international student athletes in an interview with Mike Roth from the Wednesday edition of the Spokane Spokesman-Review:

Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-lot-of-panic/

Terrible. Just terrible.

It’s not going to be an issue. These things get worked out, it’s just a new talking point right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, on top of just trying to figure out how to make a season even work this year, coaches and administrators have to protect some of their student athletes from deportation.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

GU President Thayne McCulloh weighed in on this topic via his twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/Gonzaga_Prez/sta...71029539385344

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    GU President Thayne McCulloh weighed in on this topic via his twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/Gonzaga_Prez/sta...71029539385344
    Rem approved.
    Agent provocateur

This is more about China and Chinese students. Hostile countries who train here and then go home with our technology and who knows whatever else they take with them, will be locked out. It's not about our guys.......our kids should be fine, Thane needs to get some information before he tweets. And no, it's not unethical to close the border selectively. I do think the Supremes ruled on that this past year. China, being the source of this pandemic already knows the borders in the US are closed to them since February. Our students from foreign lands should be fine.

Abe, where the hell are you getting that information???? The change in the rules is nothing but an attempt by Trumjp to force universities to hold in-person classes, rather than on-line classes. It has nothing to do with China or hostile countries. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/u...ronavirus.html

the Times is a resource for far left libs and often wrong. deliberately wrong. . It's been said several times China is no longer welcome here. More so since they apparently dropped the gift of COVID on the US.. Why would you think Trump cares
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 07-08-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Abe, where the hell are you getting that information???? The change in the rules is nothing but an attempt by Trumjp to force universities to hold in-person classes, rather than on-line classes. It has nothing to do with China or hostile countries. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/u...ronavirus.html
    MDABE80 is correct this is all about targeting China and its Chinese students. The NY Times article is very misleading and to make you feel better there will be workarounds for Gonzaga University so that our players aren't impacted by the new rules.

Find me one article supporting your position that this is "all about targeting China." I've looked, and I find nothing except the fact that it is based on Trump's desire to have universities offer in-person rather than on-line classes.

Man, where do you guys get this stuff???
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    MDABE80 is correct this is all about targeting China and its Chinese students. The NY Times article is very misleading and to make you feel better there will be workarounds for Gonzaga University so that our players aren't impacted by the new rules.

I wouldn't waste a minute on this. Suit yourself BZ!

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    As much as Abe may be right, the US can't just kick out Chinese students. It has to kick out all foreign students or none. It is against the law to target one nationality with expulsion per the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination of which the US is signatory and has ratified.
    https://www.ohchr.org/EN/Professiona...ages/CERD.aspx

The International Law Commission of the UN Secretariat prescribed in its 2006 Expulsion of aliens memorandum that:
    The collective expulsion or the mass expulsion of aliens may also violate the principle of nondiscrimination and therefore constitute an additional violation of international law or an aggravated
    form of the prohibition of collective expulsion or mass expulsion.
    https://legal.un.org/ilc/documentati.../a_cn4_565.pdf

In further clarifying Article 5 of the the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination it specifies that Parties to the Treaty
    Ensure that laws concerning deportation or other forms of removal of
    non-citizens from the jurisdiction of the State party do not discriminate in
    purpose or effect among non-citizens on the basis of race, colour or ethnic
    or national origin, and that non-citizens have equal access to effective
    remedies, including the right to challenge expulsion orders, and are allowed
    effectively to pursue such remedies;
    China most certainly would challenge any US attempt to deport Chinese students under these grounds and likely have standing. So to avoid that, the deportation order must be applied against all foreign students.

I would suspect that Dr. McCulloh was made familiar of this information based on my experience with the Political Science and Law faculty at GU.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Except this isn't about race. It's about country of origen. We can close the border to any country or it's citzens. Suremes ruled in Trump's favor after the Dems raised so much hell over the Arabs. I don't think many would argue about shutting down access from China or their students.........not anymore. As far as I can tell Trump closed the borders in late January to the Chinese specifically due to the COVID epidemic.

Our kids who come to play ball do not come from China. We'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Except this isn't about race. It's about country of origen. We can close the border to any country or it's citzens. Suremes ruled in Trump's favor after the Dems raised so much hell over the Arabs. I don't think many would argue about shutting down access from China or their students.........not anymore. As far as I can tell Trump closed the borders in late January to the Chinese specifically due to the COVID epidemic.

You will have to show me the ruling. Not sure I believe an unsupported statement.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Wow... just wow. It wasn't an ARAB ban, it was a ban on people from Muslim countries... at least some of them since for some reason people from Saudi Arabia could still come in.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Wow... just wow. It wasn't an ARAB ban, it was a ban on people from Muslim countries... at least some of them since for some reason people from Saudi Arabia could still come in.
    Correct. A country is allowed to set their own rules and conditions for allowing foreign nationals into the country, but once they are allowed into the country under those conditions, that country need an legal justification (the foreign national must violate the conditions under which that person was allowed in) to expel them. Two entirely different scenarios.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I dunno about that Kitz. IF the fopreign becomes a citizen .yes. Other wise they can be sent to their country of origen....no fuss no muss.

This is more about China and Chinese students. Hostile countries who train here and then go home with our technology and who knows whatever else they take with them, will be locked out. It's not about our guys.......our kids should be fine, Thane needs to get some information before he tweets. And no, it's not unethical to close the border selectively. I do think the Supremes ruled on that this past year. China, being the source of this pandemic already knows the borders in the US are closed to them since February. Our students from foreign lands should be fine.
    Using the misdeeds of the Chinese government to paint all Chinese students as spies of some sort, rather than simply people who are pursuing higher education and opportunity, is ugly and flat-out ignorant. Full stop. Shouldn’t be tolerated on this board, or anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Correct. A country is allowed to set their own rules and conditions for allowing foreign nationals into the country, but once they are allowed into the country under those conditions, that country need an legal justification (the foreign national must violate the conditions under which that person was allowed in) to expel them. Two entirely different scenarios.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/u..............and he also did with China who sent us the gift of COVID. I quoted a flamin liberal site so the libs on the board would be happy.

And this...https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39044403

I took me all of 5 minutes to prove my point. Do your own work...It helps you to confirm the point made.

Again, read the first para of the second link. It's very clear the supremes allow the President ( not just this one) to ban travel from other countries .ie the country itself.

Duke...it's not the BOARD who makes these decisions. Members of the board only quote the opinions. And it's been true that China has stolen important secrets on top of the CLOVID gift.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    Using the misdeeds of the Chinese government to paint all Chinese students as spies of some sort, rather than simply people who are pursuing higher education and opportunity, is ugly and flat-out ignorant. Full stop. Shouldn’t be tolerated on this board, or anywhere else.
    Thank you DukeSilver and ZN for your efforts to introduce some decency to these posts suggesting Trump’s plan to force schools to open is all just a.o.k. One wonders what such posters would say if Gonzaga currently had a superstar international player from China on the roster: “tough luck kid, you’re out of here cause you come from the wrong country.”

Trump and his supporters recklessly pushed states to reopen prematurely and we are now seeing the results of that poor decision which is ultimately undermining our country’s ability to get out in front of this virus and stop the spread. Repeating the same mistake with forcing schools to reopen prematurely is insanity not leadership. Look at how Europe and pretty much every other country in the world save Brazil are doing a better job protecting their citizenry than we are. Good grief
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Except this isn't about race. It's about country of origen. We can close the border to any country or it's citzens. Suremes ruled in Trump's favor after the Dems raised so much hell over the Arabs.
    Of course they did. I hope you realize that a huge portion of ARABS are Christian, just like you. Half of Lebanon (the Paris of the Middle East). Big percentage of Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, Syria, North Africa, and even Israel. Not to mention the expats all over the world that aren't counted because they left due to persecution.

Do you even know what defines an Arab? I'll give you a hint...it's merely language. Speak Arabic? You're an Arab (NOT politics, religion, culture, or any other thing). I've visited many of these countries. You seem to not be aware of this fact. Arab is not a race. It's a collection of societies that only speak the same language. Hello, Eritrea. Learn something about the world outside of your Spokane bubble. You should know then that Iranians are NOT in any way Arabs, because they speak Farsi, not Arabic. The more you know.

Eat some hummus. Mediterranean diets are good for you.

the Times is a resource for far left libs and often wrong. deliberately wrong. . It's been said several times China is no longer welcome here. More so since they apparently dropped the gift of COVID on the US.. Why would you think Trump cares
    So even this board has plunged to the seedy depths of partisan BS? Far left libs? (FYI, “far left” should be hyphenated.) China (i.e., Chinese) are no longer welcome here? WTF? And I don’t care that you have over 12,00 posts and are a “Zag for Life”. That’s just plain ugliness. Oh, and while some international students do stick around, do find their way back home after earning an education abroad. That’s not an exclusively Chinese phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.