Thread: Getting to know Oumar Ballo

Default Getting to know Oumar Ballo

Ballo just turned 18 on July 13th.

couple of older videos I'm sure some have seen.....still nice to review.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oumar_Ballo_(basketball)

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!

There really doesn’t seem to be a great deal of information about how Oumar has done in the last year. There have been occasional posts about his strong play but if anyone has anything more specific about how his game is coming along — especially since he figures in more prominently to our plans for the year —- it would be deeply appreciated.

A recent pair of comments in a Petrusev thread on Reddit:

"[Ballo] brings a large body (6-10, 250) and a huge wingspan (7-6) and just backed Filip down every practice and dunked on him...the staff had to get him to ease up since they were short on bodies already."

"My buddy owns a nearby eatery, and speaks often with a regular who attends a lot of practices."

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    A recent pair of comments in a Petrusev thread on Reddit:

"[Ballo] brings a large body (6-10, 250) and a huge wingspan (7-6) and just backed Filip down every practice and dunked on him...the staff had to get him to ease up since they were short on bodies already."

"My buddy owns a nearby eatery, and speaks often with a regular who attends a lot of practices."
    Sounds similar to what staff told Clarke about blocking shots in his transfer year.....big difference....Clarke was 21 Ballo was 17.

Can't wait to see Ballo play

Great videos Zagceo! I hadn't seen either of those.

Absolutely crazy he just turned 18.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Beast! We need that fierceness.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    There really doesn’t seem to be a great deal of information about how Oumar has done in the last year. There have been occasional posts about his strong play but if anyone has anything more specific about how his game is coming along — especially since he figures in more prominently to our plans for the year —- it would be deeply appreciated.
    Good question tyra.

I heard more than once last year that Ballo was Gonzaga’s best big. Not had the best potential but that he was GU’s best big. I also heard that the NCAA mandated “Academic” Red Shirt year was a blessing in disguise. The original plan was to “ease” Oumar in using the “Rui Hachimura” plan (which worked out okay for Rui).

What we will see (hopefully) with Ballo is a guy MUCH more
    mature/seasoned than he was a year ago.

The future is bright.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

So now the question becomes the relative playing time and contributions of Pavel and Oumar. Is it possible. We will see both Drew and one of those two on the floor at the same time? Do we assume Oumar is more ready than Pavel? Please let there be a season, dear God, please.

Is Oumar gonna be good to go eligibility wise? Not trying to be a downer, but I am so pumped for this guy

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Good question tyra.

I heard more than once last year that Ballo was Gonzaga’s best big. Not had the best potential but that he was GU’s best big. I also heard that the NCAA mandated “Academic” Red Shirt year was a blessing in disguise. The original plan was to “ease” Oumar in using the “Rui Hachimura” plan (which worked out okay for Rui).

The future is bright.
    Others have said (I think it was Abe? Perhaps he could chime in to correct me if I'm wrong) that he was still pretty green and that he had a long way to go with development. Which wouldn't be at all surprising considering the kid was only 17 years old last season.

Whichever is the case, I predict that he is going to absolutely DOMINATE once he finally puts on that Gonzaga jersey on game day. The kid's potential is through the roof.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

He's had some very good development over the last year. Adequate leaper but he's a nonstop guy with skills. Good ones too but he'll get what we need done. As far as scoring goes, .?? But he thinks the ball belongs to him and him only. Fierceness on the boards with a big butt that makes space. He's a big guy...very likeable from what I can hear. Still needs a few years to get him tuned up to possible NBA level. He likes it here.

I do not have any inside information, and I don't need any. I've watched enough film of him, and know enough about basketball to know this guy is a big time star. He's definitely a five *. When I look at video of centers, or low post players are two things, how they post up and their footwork both before they get the ball and after they get it. Look at these videos and look at the footwork. AMAZING. And he also knows how to post up. In my opinion, he is playing at the level of a 20 year old. As you can see in the video, and here from the man analyzing him, that he is strong. STRONG. Just look at him. And he has a wingspan of 7' 6". that is incredible. Ballo, imo is one reason that Petrusev moved on.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GUZag08 View Post
    Is Oumar gonna be good to go eligibility wise? Not trying to be a downer, but I am so pumped for this guy
    Having just done an academic redshirt, there should be zero issues.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    So now the question becomes the relative playing time and contributions of Pavel and Oumar. Is it possible. We will see both Drew and one of those two on the floor at the same time? Do we assume Oumar is more ready than Pavel? Please let there be a season, dear God, please.
    Please God!

I heard more than once last year that Ballo was Gonzaga’s best big. Not had the best potential but that he was GU’s best big.
    OK, this has me pretty excited about the season. There had better be one.

Sound reminiscent of Azubuike, that would be nice.

Nice quote from Watson about Ballo

“This man is a beast,” Watson said. “He’s one of the biggest dudes I’ve seen. When he’s in the post, he’s unstoppable, too.”
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...mp-content=amp

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Please God!
    If God is a Gael, maybe he can be a Zag too!

Good question tyra.

The future is bright.
    Better than an all american, a preseason all american, and 2 other 4 star pf's and c's? Ill believe it when i see it.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Ill believe it when i see it.
    Me, too.

That being said ... I'd posted similar musings (i.e. after hearing insights from the same folks) after Brandon's red shirt year ... and after Rui's freshman year. I think the thoughts on Rui was that he could do "Kobe-esque" things that only about 10 guys in the basketball world could do. Hyperbole? "Perhaps a bit". But Brandon and Rui turned out okay.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Me, too.

That being said ... I'd posted similar musings (i.e. after hearing insights from the same folks) after Brandon's red shirt year ... and after Rui's freshman year. I think the thoughts on Rui was that he could do "Kobe-esque" things that only about 10 guys in the basketball world could do. Hyperbole? "Perhaps a bit". But Brandon and Rui turned out okay.
    I totally agree with you, Go Zags. Ballo is going to be a stud. And will soon be going to the NBA. All you need to do is look at some videos of the kid and look at his footwork, and how well he seals off. He is playing like a 20 year old.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Me, too.

Speaking of Rui: https://www.prnewswire.com/in/news-r...868485843.html

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post

With so many key Wizards sitting out, Rui will be racking up buckets.
    Parlez-vous français?