Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Filip going pro

One time he simply walked off the court in pique after not getting the ball enough. Another time he chose to argue with the ref under the basket while the game went the other way down the court.

Unfortunately, that moment where he turned his back and gave up on the play after not getting the ball is what I’ll remember most. But he was an offensive juggernaut for sure and had many great moments also. Best wishes to him.

I’m eager to see Timme, Ballo, and Watson get those minutes. Assuming we get some kind of season, the Zags will be more than fine.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I blame Covid-19. This could have been the best GU team ever. This, on the heels of losing a 1-seed in last years non-tourney.

Best of luck, Filip. Thanks for all your work, and congrats on your Conference honors last year.

And show will go on - albeit, with an unknown start date.

A couple of things; I didn't know that Filip's father was living with him in Spokane and a player agent's goals and motives are rarely in unison with those of the team and staff.

Good luck Filip, come back and visit some time.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

The CBS podcast is terrific. Respectfully critical of the drama surrounding Filip’s stealth departure from the program and Spokane, and respectfully dismissive of his importance for the team going forward. In a hundred ways, they clearly prefer Drew as a teammate and a player, even saying he’d be a lottery pick after junior year. Gotta read between the lines. They touch on Ballo, but no mention of any other GU big. Touch on Suggs a bit, too, but it’s more about Drew than anyone else. A great listen. And I don’t disagree with their love of Nova. Best coach and program in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Unfortunately, that moment where he turned his back and gave up on the play after not getting the ball is what I’ll remember most. But he was an offensive juggernaut for sure and had many great moments also. Best wishes to him.

I’m eager to see Timme, Ballo, and Watson get those minutes. Assuming we get some kind of season, the Zags will be more than fine.
    He shouldn’t be crucified for one dumb action. Rather it was his incessant complaining that turned me off.

Geez, with his attitude you would think he was a kid.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Geez, with his attitude you would think he was a kid.
    He’s 20, old enough to be responsible for his actions. No in loco parentis....

Yes Jazz. He reminded me of someone who thinks "he's poop poo" doesn't stink. Great college player though.

Great piece in The Athletic....

The news came by way of Eurohoops, which passed along a report from Nova.rs, which said that Petrusev had decided to start his professional basketball career in his hometown of Belgrade, Serbia, where he would play for Serbian club Mega Bemax. Until then, Petrusev had been in the NBA Draft process, and his stature therein — as a fringe top-100-ish prospect — made the possibility of his return to Gonzaga seem likely.

On its face, such news — the semi-surprising loss of your best, most productive player — has the potential to devastate a fan base. It happens all the time, a team’s fortunes hinging on the decision of one 19-year-old or the other. And yet Gonzaga fans like the ones commenting at Slipper Still Fits, were, even in the immediate wake of the news, almost entirely sanguine. The response could be summarized as a broad, collective “Meh.” The takeaway: “We’ll be fine.”

And you know what? They’re right. Gonzaga will be totally fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    One time he simply walked off the court in pique after not getting the ball enough. Another time he chose to argue with the ref under the basket while the game went the other way down the court.
    This! GU will miss his easy post production but that’s it. Dude was beyond selfish and quite frankly think this is addition by subtraction.

Great piece in The Athletic....

The news came by way of Eurohoops, which passed along a report from Nova.rs, which said that Petrusev had decided to start his professional basketball career in his hometown of Belgrade, Serbia, where he would play for Serbian club Mega Bemax. Until then, Petrusev had been in the NBA Draft process, and his stature therein — as a fringe top-100-ish prospect — made the possibility of his return to Gonzaga seem likely.

On its face, such news — the semi-surprising loss of your best, most productive player — has the potential to devastate a fan base. It happens all the time, a team’s fortunes hinging on the decision of one 19-year-old or the other. And yet Gonzaga fans like the ones commenting at Slipper Still Fits, were, even in the immediate wake of the news, almost entirely sanguine. The response could be summarized as a broad, collective “Meh.” The takeaway: “We’ll be fine.”

And you know what? They’re right. Gonzaga will be totally fine.
    It was pretty interesting how much the Zag community on average didn't really fret over losing the former WCC Player of the Year. He was a player who seemed to me to be more interested in himself than the good of the team. We've been lucky to not have to deal with that kind of attitude for a long time, and I'm confident that the remaining players on the team won't act that way. Guys like Kispert, Ayayi, Timme, Watson...I just couldn't imagine them not continuing to act like team first players. I've never witnessed any of them sulking because they didn't get the ball on a play, or not hustling back on D.

I agree with thickman1, addition by subtraction.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    It was pretty interesting how much the Zag community on average didn't really fret over losing the former WCC Player of the Year. He was a player who seemed to me to be more interested in himself than the good of the team. We've been lucky to not have to deal with that kind of attitude for a long time, and I'm confident that the remaining players on the team won't act that way. Guys like Kispert, Ayayi, Timme, Watson...these all seem like team first personalities. One couldn't imagine them sulking because they didn't get the ball on a play, or not hustling back on D. Those guys pick each other up, and play for their teammates.

I agree with thickman1, addition by subtraction.
    Petro, Daye....who fills out all me-first Zag team?

Petro, Daye....who fills out all me-first Zag team?
    Luckily we haven't seen many. It speaks to our coaches and who they decide to recruit, as well as the culture they bring them into.

I look back fondly on the Pangos/Bell teams, those two were great leaders. I remember Wiltjer talking about how the team all spent time together and supported each other. He spoke about how unique that was because most teams end up segmenting themselves into "clicks".
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Luckily we haven't seen many. It speaks to our coaches and who they decide to recruit, as well as the culture they bring them into.

I look back fondly on the Pangos/Bell teams, those two were great leaders. I remember Wiltjer talking about how the team all spent time together and supported each other. He spoke about how unique that was because most teams end up segmenting themselves into "clicks".
    Fair enough. But we’ve had enough for a team. Conversely, who’s on all time unselfish squad with Josh and Karno?

Fair enough. But we’ve had enough for a team. Conversely, who’s on all time unselfish squad with Josh and Karno?
    Ronny.

We will be fine if Kispert and Ayayi return. We are making that assumption. No telling if it is right or not. I hope they do and it is right.

Not sure if this was posted here but on the press box podcast Jim Meehan said when the staff saw on their phones the press release that Filip had signed a pro contract, they also saw that he had been trying to contact them.

Say what you want about Daye, he was about the team. Don't like the revisionist history just because he left before he should have.

Silas

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Silas
    Too many to list.

I agree with Silas ... but I would put anyone who saw the floor with Silas as well.

I agree with Ronny ... but I would put virtually anyone who saw the floor with Ronny ... with perhaps one notable exception.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Any unselfish team would have to include Mike Hart. He would probably be captain.

He could walk the walk, but Ammo was me first. Not in a pouty way, he just knew he was the best offensive weapon.

https://theathletic.com/1940232/2020...ol-drew-timme/

Good piece on Petro leaving.

For all his strengths, in some ways the Zags make more sense without Petrusev than with him. It’s a strange situation, to be sure. But this is what happens when you’re in the sort of elevated program territory where Gonzaga now finds itself. Year after year, good players show up. Year after year, they get better. Sometimes, your roster is so overflowing with assets that you can’t find enough time on the basketball court for all of them. Sometimes, your best player leaves, and you wonder whether it might not just be a good thing after all.