X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarolinaZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

Best of luck Filip! Hope he has a nice long career and makes lots of money. I’m strangely perfectly fine with this. I think both Timme and Ballo have a higher ceiling than Filip. I thought his lack of athleticism would hurt us in the tournament last year. We’re also going to have lots of mouths to feed and he is a very ball dominant post. I remember several times last year he got visibly frustrated about not getting the ball passed to him in the post.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JAGzag View Post
      Seems like a pretty immature move, if true. Wonder if there was bad blood.
      Our buddy Caldwell corroborated the news via Twitter that the staff did not know. I bit my tongue somewhat in the past about his shortcomings on the court because I didn’t want to be too critical of a Zag, but this one will leave a bad taste for a bit. That said, I don’t know any details so I will wish him all the best but won’t bemoan his absence at GU next year.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

This might change our preseason ranking. Not the seeding. But it opens things up for other deserving players. Chet, Paolo, etc. I think plenty of bigs this upcoming year to do well but the blabs from the media will downgrade a bit.....when Filip was predicted as a preseason All American, this can't help. For him though, best wishes.......make some money and not have to worry about a college season. which really should go on as planned with any luck. Big smile will be missed.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
          Best of luck Filip! Hope he has a nice long career and makes lots of money. I’m strangely perfectly fine with this. I think both Timme and Ballo have a higher ceiling than Filip. I thought his lack of athleticism would hurt us in the tournament last year. We’re also going to have lots of mouths to feed and he is a very ball dominant post. I remember several times last year he got visibly frustrated about not getting the ball passed to him in the post.
          I saw a collision course between GU and Kansas— and their pick-and-roll game with Azaibuke. I didn’t see it ending well for us.

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
            I saw a collision course between GU and Kansas— and their pick-and-roll game with Azaibuke. I didn’t see it ending well for us.
            I was worried about that too JP. He was just so overwhelming in the post. Would have been a good FF game though.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Blitzing-Zag View Post
              https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...79762148139009

Seems like the staff found out he was leaving by seeing the press release and that he didn't tell them before it went out.
              Not surprising. Always seemed a distant, me first kinda guy. Recall Few yanking him once or twice last year for attitude.

Comment

• zagdontzig
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2016

I'm assuming this has no effect on Paulo? I may be reaching but maybe if the younger guys get some time this year, that will free up a little depth next year. We are very deep even without Petrusev.
                Originally posted by Reborn
                Go Zags!!!
                Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2007

This does open up 1 scholarship, correct? Any idea or guesses what the staff may do with that 1?

THis may be an addition instead of subtraction. I say that only if Ballo is ready to go. If not, this hurts us a bit but still think we are top 3.

Comment

• Zagceo
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2013

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm

Confirmed: Petrusev has told coaching staff he's not returning to Gonzaga for junior season.

Confirmed: Petrusev has told coaching staff he's not returning to Gonzaga for junior season.

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • May 2019

My stomach dropped a little at first when I read the news. It's still a little uneasy but I think it will work out just right!
                      Fillip was really, really good. Super efficient on offense. I think he could have been a little more aggressive defensively but no depth he had to be a little passive.
                      He may have rubbed some the wrong way with the complaining but the kid was good at what he did and we were lucky to have him.
                      I dont really think his draft stock could have improved much. That's not a knock on him because he had some great post moves and could create shots using tough angles. I know he has a good looking stroke from three but I dont think Few would have used him at the 4, the way he probably wanted. He made the right decision.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                        • Feb 2007

I think that is a good call for him. He will be in a much more stable situation.
                        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2012

- knew he would be leaving, said so many times.
                          - but glad he chose gonzaga and i enjoyed the two years watching him play and grow.
                          - wishing filip all the best.

- next man up.......the man child oumar ballo. i think he will be a known beast, across the nation, prior to tourney time.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                            I was worried about that too JP. He was just so overwhelming in the post. Would have been a good FF game though.
                            <Sigh> What could have been... I would have loved to see that matchup.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                              Not surprising. Always seemed a distant, me first kinda guy. Recall Few yanking him once or twice last year for attitude.
                              His passing improved greatly as the season progressed, he was no longer a black hole when he got the ball. I smile when I recall that sweet alley oop to Killian during the second half of the WCC championship game.

Best wishes to him...Timme and Ballo should absorb those minutes.

Any word yet on Corey?

Comment

• zagnut2012
                                Kennel Club Material
                                • Dec 2009

Message from Filip on GoZags...Good Luck seems sincere to me. Go Zags!

SPOKANE, Wash. – Filip Petrusev announced Monday that he will pursue a professional career and not return for his junior season at Gonzaga.

Comment

Working...
                                X