Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Filip going pro

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Say what you want about Daye, he was about the team. Don't like the revisionist history just because he left before he should have.
    Agree.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    One time he simply walked off the court in pique after not getting the ball enough. Another time he chose to argue with the ref under the basket while the game went the other way down the court.
    Petrusev walks away again.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Petrusev walks away again.
    This time, no harm, no foul and without tears.

Really disappointing to read this thread. A guy travels over 5,000 miles to come and play basketball for Gonzaga, and from a handful of bad moments on TV gets thrown under the bus the minute he decides to turn pro (a particularly smart move given the doubtfulness of a college basketball season). Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the sour grapes are pretty ridiculous to me.

Selfish? My guess is that if you injected every Zag (or any college basketball player) for the past two decades with truth serum and gave them the choice of a) two final four appearances or b) a ten year NBA career - 99.9% would choose the latter. It's why UW was still so successful in their recruiting despite such a long run of postseason absences...they still were putting guys in the league, and that is ultimately the dream of most kids who grow up with a basketball in their hands.

I have no arguments against the notion that at times Filip was a bit focused on his own production. But while Adam Morrison is deservedly on hallowed ground, it's not like he wasn't at times demanding of or selfish with the ball, nor was he endlessly committed on the defensive end of the court. It comes with the territory.

Personally, I'm very grateful for every player that comes to Gonzaga but I feel like we owe a particular debt of gratitude to the foreign players who commit to years away from family, friends, and familiarity. Whether they fulfill our hopes and expectations or not is another matter. Ultimately, my feeling is that the selfish ones are the fans who see players as a means to our own ends (wanting to see the Zags win a title) even if it's at the cost of their own success or future.
    Last edited by zagfan24; 07-22-2020 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    Really disappointing to read this thread. A guy travels over 5,000 miles to come and play basketball for Gonzaga, and from a handful of bad moments on TV gets thrown under the bus the minute he decides to turn pro (a particularly smart move given the doubtfulness of a college basketball season). Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the sour grapes are pretty ridiculous to me.

Selfish? My guess is that if you injected every Zag (or any college basketball player) for the past two decades with truth serum and gave them the choice of a) two final four appearances or b) a ten year NBA career - 99.9% would choose the latter. It's why UW was still so successful in their recruiting despite such a long run of postseason absences...they still were putting guys in the league, and that is ultimately the dream of most kids who grow up with a basketball in their hands.

I have no arguments against the notion that at times Filip was a bit focused on his own production. But while Adam Morrison is deservedly on hallowed ground, it's not like he wasn't at times demanding of or selfish with the ball, nor was he endlessly committed on the defensive end of the court. It comes with the territory.

Personally, I'm very grateful for every player that comes to Gonzaga but I feel like we owe a particular debt of gratitude to the foreign players who commit to years away from family, friends, and familiarity. Whether they fulfill our hopes and expectations or not is another matter. Ultimately, my feeling is that the selfish ones are the fans who see players as a means to our own ends (wanting to see the Zags win a title) even if it's at the cost of their own success or future.
    I agree!

Not sour grapes because he turned pro.

The concerns espoused here were posted numerous times over the course of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not sour grapes because he turned pro.

The concerns espoused here were posted numerous times over the course of last season.
    Exactly. Grapes are sweet for many. His odd exit from the program and Spokane and his season long tantrums are the focus of the negative comments. Played hard, performed well, 100% here wish him well, IMO.

Exactly. Grapes are sweet for many. His odd exit from the program and Spokane and his season long tantrums are the focus of the negative comments. Played hard, performed well, 100% here wish him well, IMO.
    perfect post, Jazz. Thanks. I totally agree. Let's move on!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I didn't mean to suggest his exit was the source of disdain. "Season long tantrums" is absolute hyperbole, though. He had his moments, sure, but he was the WCC player of the year for a reason. I just have a hard time believing that a selfish, me-first player would see the floor enough and put in the kind of work necessary to achieve that kind of honor. Just my two cents.

I didn't mean to suggest his exit was the source of disdain. "Season long tantrums" is absolute hyperbole, though. He had his moments, sure, but he was the WCC player of the year for a reason. I just have a hard time believing that a selfish, me-first player would see the floor enough and put in the kind of work necessary to achieve that kind of honor. Just my two cents.
    Heard you loud and clear the first time.

And this guy was also a relatively recent WCC POY https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...denison-1.html
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Kind of sad that after an outstanding second season here, a couple of outbursts on the court have allowed people to distill his career 'whiny, me-first' forever. Not sure any of us could live up to that level of scrutiny for things we did in the heat of competition when we were 19.

I see him as a very talented offensive player and hard worker, and wish him great success overseas. At the same time, I do think we'll have a better, more balanced team without him.

+1.

He had one foot put the door when he got here, it seems. I think we all should be looking toward the future when we are in college because that is the pragmatic reason we go to college— but he didn’t endear himself to a segment of fans (including myself) and he contributed to a deleterious gestalt, in my view.

To his credit, he did play hurt. I think the staff lauded his toughness multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    +1.

He had one foot put the door when he got here, it seems. I think we all should be looking toward the future when we are in college because that is the pragmatic reason we go to college— but he didn’t endear himself to a segment of fans (including myself) and he contributed to a deleterious gestalt, in my view.

To his credit, he did play hurt. I think the staff lauded his toughness multiple times.
    "Deleterious gestalt?" Now that's a mouthful of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Ronny.
    Gary Bell.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gonezagaga View Post
    Any unselfish team would have to include Mike Hart. He would probably be captain.
    Spectacular. The exemplar...so we have Josh, Karno, GB, Ronny and Mike.....not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    He could walk the walk, but Ammo was me first. Not in a pouty way, he just knew he was the best offensive weapon.
    Also the exemplar. But our unicorn. Defies description.....

Spectacular. The exemplar...so we have Josh, Karno, GB, Ronny and Mike.....not bad.
    Pendo sacrificed a lot to fit in the team concept. I love my Pendo jersey.

My problem with the whole thing is from what reports are saying, this caught staff completely by surprise and they found out through a press release.

Also, the agents comments throwing shade at Gonzaga didn't make it any better.

That being said, he played great while he was here and I wish him the best.

I also think Timme looked better at the end of the season, so this isn't necessarily a huge blow.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I wish I didn’t forget about him so much. That would be a jersey. I would be proud to wear.

I wonder how many people remember what it was like to be 19 or 20 years old and how oblivious they were to the world around them and focused on whatever affected them.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I wonder how many people remember what it was like to be 19 or 20 years old and how oblivious they were to the world around them and focused on whatever affected them.
    I know I did much worse things as a fairly competitive ultimate frisbee player in my 30s, ha ha.

I agree that the standard we are setting is unrealistic. Every player has moments when they are at less than their best and I prefer to view Philip on what he did for the program. Maybe he is a selfish jerk. Maybe. We don't really know. The other end of the overly judgemental spectrum comes in the form of unrealistic praise for our athletes. Russell Wilson strikes me as a person who gets more praise as a human being than he might deserve and mostly because he throws the ball for "our team."
    Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

ooooooo good one Scrooner!!

I know I did much worse things as a fairly competitive ultimate frisbee player in my 30s, ha ha.
    Don't suppose you were formerly a fairly competitive ultimate frisbee player at GU, were you?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

zagfan 24 , great post and thoughts. Thank you. Zag fans do you know what your response would have been at 19 if you were told you could make millions quickly if you turned pro? I red somewhere he's receiving $500,00 a year for multiple years.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher