Filip Petrusev reportedly joins Mega Bemax

https://eurohoops.net/en/aba/1082864...ns-mega-bemax/

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Eurohoops
    @Eurohoopsnet
    · 4m
    Filip Petrusev reportedly joins Mega Bemax

https://eurohoops.net/en/aba/1082864...ns-mega-bemax/
    Good for him...the situation in the states is just too iffy right now anyway from a sports perspective; this way he can get paid & get playing time where the virus effects have been managed.

Definitely opens up a lot of minutes for Timme, Watson, & Ballo.

Congrats!

Good luck!

Happy for him and glad he chose Gonzaga.
    Last edited by hockeyzag; 07-20-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Thanks Filip! Hope he continues the trend of good pro big men

Congrats and good luck!
    Bring back the OCC

Everyone wins. He will be on sports center many times. We keep bringing in the best young bigs in the world
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Best for both parties. Obvious decision for him with the uncertainty here and if there’s a season imo the Zags will be better with more minutes for Timme, Ballo, and Watson. Filip coming back to a reduced offensive role if there’s a season at all didn’t make a ton of sense for him.

Good for Filip...I hate to see him leave but he is also the player that the Zags are in the best position to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to lose him, but given where he's at and the overall situation, I've got to say this seems to make a lot of sense. Best wishes to him!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Thanks Filip for 2 great years. Congratulations to you and carry on the Zag tradition. Wish you would have stayed but completely understand your decision. You could have been a part of history this year had you stayed and if we play but you will cheer the Zags on from Europe.

Kind of what I expected on Filip and I hope he has a great career. With the unknowns in the US, even though I expect there to be a CBB season, it makes sense. Great opportunity for our current bigs to step up and take control. Will open up more minutes for Ballo and potentially even Pavel. Guess that answers the question as to who starts between Timme and Watson...that answer should be both now.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...79762148139009

Seems like the staff found out he was leaving by seeing the press release and that he didn't tell them before it went out.
    Gonzaga Class of 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzing-Zag View Post

Seems like the staff found out he was leaving by seeing the press release and that he didn't tell them before it went out.
    Seems like a pretty immature move, if true. Wonder if there was bad blood.

Thanks, Filip, for all you gave. Keep in touch; you’ll always be a Zag.

Best of luck Filip! Hope he has a nice long career and makes lots of money. I’m strangely perfectly fine with this. I think both Timme and Ballo have a higher ceiling than Filip. I thought his lack of athleticism would hurt us in the tournament last year. We’re also going to have lots of mouths to feed and he is a very ball dominant post. I remember several times last year he got visibly frustrated about not getting the ball passed to him in the post.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Seems like a pretty immature move, if true. Wonder if there was bad blood.
    Our buddy Caldwell corroborated the news via Twitter that the staff did not know. I bit my tongue somewhat in the past about his shortcomings on the court because I didn’t want to be too critical of a Zag, but this one will leave a bad taste for a bit. That said, I don’t know any details so I will wish him all the best but won’t bemoan his absence at GU next year.

This might change our preseason ranking. Not the seeding. But it opens things up for other deserving players. Chet, Paolo, etc. I think plenty of bigs this upcoming year to do well but the blabs from the media will downgrade a bit.....when Filip was predicted as a preseason All American, this can't help. For him though, best wishes.......make some money and not have to worry about a college season. which really should go on as planned with any luck. Big smile will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Best of luck Filip! Hope he has a nice long career and makes lots of money. I’m strangely perfectly fine with this. I think both Timme and Ballo have a higher ceiling than Filip. I thought his lack of athleticism would hurt us in the tournament last year. We’re also going to have lots of mouths to feed and he is a very ball dominant post. I remember several times last year he got visibly frustrated about not getting the ball passed to him in the post.
    I saw a collision course between GU and Kansas— and their pick-and-roll game with Azaibuke. I didn’t see it ending well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I saw a collision course between GU and Kansas— and their pick-and-roll game with Azaibuke. I didn’t see it ending well for us.
    I was worried about that too JP. He was just so overwhelming in the post. Would have been a good FF game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzing-Zag View Post

Not surprising. Always seemed a distant, me first kinda guy. Recall Few yanking him once or twice last year for attitude.

I'm assuming this has no effect on Paulo? I may be reaching but maybe if the younger guys get some time this year, that will free up a little depth next year. We are very deep even without Petrusev.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

This does open up 1 scholarship, correct? Any idea or guesses what the staff may do with that 1?

THis may be an addition instead of subtraction. I say that only if Ballo is ready to go. If not, this hurts us a bit but still think we are top 3.

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm

Confirmed: Petrusev has told coaching staff he's not returning to Gonzaga for junior season.

Confirmed: Petrusev has told coaching staff he's not returning to Gonzaga for junior season.

My stomach dropped a little at first when I read the news. It's still a little uneasy but I think it will work out just right!
    Fillip was really, really good. Super efficient on offense. I think he could have been a little more aggressive defensively but no depth he had to be a little passive.
    He may have rubbed some the wrong way with the complaining but the kid was good at what he did and we were lucky to have him.
    I dont really think his draft stock could have improved much. That's not a knock on him because he had some great post moves and could create shots using tough angles. I know he has a good looking stroke from three but I dont think Few would have used him at the 4, the way he probably wanted. He made the right decision.