Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga Sports Network?

Default Gonzaga Sports Network?

What is the cost and feasibility of our own sports network? If not Gonzaga alone, a network in cooperation with a local network affiliate, WSU and EWU (away football games), Gonzaga (men’s & women’s basketball), plus spring sports as mutually beneficial?

If problematic, what would make such a network more achievable?

Gonzaga and ESPN have had a good thing going for almost 20 years, if it aint broke don't fix it imo.

Not feasible at all. It would have to be a purely steaming feed since providing content would be difficult in off hours. There is just not a big enough market for it and companies that are move developed like ESPN and KHQ/SWX bring a stronger platform and better margin then a new network could do.

Let's start with getting all of Gonzaga men's basketball games not on ESPN or CBS Sports available for the national audience on an easily accessible bundled sports package. Or just make sure the WCC feed doesn't go out. Baby steps

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Let's start with getting all of Gonzaga men's basketball games not on ESPN or CBS Sports available for the national audience on an easily accessible bundled sports package. Or just make sure the WCC feed doesn't go out. Baby steps
    Gargantuan steps, it would seem.

Leagues do this but I don't know of a single institution that does this...maybe Notre Dame but they're now affiliated with NBC. We are limited in what we can produced. Small school. no FB, no Track, light in most other sports outside of BB and Baseball. I don't know who has the time to actually do a feasibility study but given the size of the athletics at GU, I doubt we could put such a product together.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Leagues do this but I don't know of a single institution that does this...maybe Notre Dame but they're now affiliated with NBC. We are limited in what we can produced. Small school. no FB, no Track, light in most other sports outside of BB and Baseball. I don't know who has the time to actually do a feasibility study but given the size of the athletics at GU, I doubt we could put such a product together.
    I think the only one is The Longhorn Network, which is why there is no Big 12 network. Good for Texas, but hurts the rest of the conference. Only power 5 without their own network.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I would pay per game or per month if KHQ set up a broadcast stream for non-nationally televised games. KHQ doesn't need to set up the streaming infrastructure they could outsource it. We've regressed because these games used to be streamed on ESPN3 or ESPN+ whatever it's called and I could watch the games that way. Now we have WCC streaming which has mixed reviews. And we don't get the early season games though I'm not sure we ever did even on the ESPN streaming platform.

For several years I have been able to see all basketball games, except exhibitions, thru a combination of ESPN, CBS and Directv which includes RootNW (owned by Seattle Mariners. Loved it, but don’t take it for granted or believe it will last. That is why I started this thread. Texas does have its own network, and other schools are exploring the possibility. Gonzaga should do the same.

Unfortunately, responses thus far offer few facts. Believe a partnership with a Spokane affiliate would be the strongest way to proceed. Thanks for your input.

Go Zags! Whenever, wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think the only one is The Longhorn Network, which is why there is no Big 12 network. Good for Texas, but hurts the rest of the conference. Only power 5 without their own network.
    BYU has its own network.

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    BYU has its own network.
    That is an entirely different dynamic. Sports is just a portion of their offering.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Would you expect that BYU could fill airtime 24x7 with only BYU sports? Even the PAC 12 and Big 10 networks struggle to find enough compelling content to fill airtime without the pandemic. So, the very short answer to the question of a Gonzaga network is 'no'. Which is not to say that the current GU MBB television arrangement is viable, much less adequate. Big step backwards this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    BYU has its own network.
    Yep, watched the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas on it. Very little sports though.

Not to throw water on the idea, but Zag fandom just doesn’t have numbers necessary to make it work economically.

I’d contribute to it financially, but how would you fill the hours of programming 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Not to throw water on the idea, but Zag fandom just doesn’t have numbers necessary to make it work economically.

I’d contribute to it financially, but how would you fill the hours of programming 24/7?
    Texas Zag Fan — Why would it be necessary to provide 24/7 programming? How does the University of Texas do it?

No network. We need an app with in-app purchases for live games and free archived games and collateral goodies. Easy peasy. Just do it, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    No network. We need an app with in-app purchases for live games and free archived games and collateral goodies. Easy peasy. Just do it, Mike.
    +1

Go Zags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    yeah, actually.

To be honest, I'm not sure why this isn't an option yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Texas Zag Fan — Why would it be necessary to provide 24/7 programming? How does the University of Texas do it?
    You cant really compare UT to GU. UT is the state school with 50,000+ students in a state with 30 million people. They have more sports to pick from and more sports people actually care about. If you watch their network it is mostly reruns of old games with very little new content. Football and basketball games are already broadcast on bigger networks. Dont throw in the BYU TV either because that is not a sports network. They probably dont average a sporting event per week. I have DirecTV and every game for at least the last 10 years has been on except the UW game that was on the PAC 12 network.

I didn't know of this option for Root Sports.

AT&T SportsNet

https://www.groundedreason.com/how-t...without-cable/
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Thanks for the link. Until today I was under the impression that there were zero options to watch Root Sports without cable or satellite television. That being said, I would not pay $80 a month to watch Root Sports even if they sent me a lifetime supply of free beer and had Jesus stop by my house to act as the bartender during GU games.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Thanks for the link. Until today I was under the impression that there were zero options to watch Root Sports without cable or satellite television. That being said, I would not pay $80 a month to watch Root Sports even if they sent me a lifetime supply of free beer and had Jesus stop by my house to act as the bartender during GU games.

Go Bulldogs!

Currently, the only streaming service that offers Root Sports Northwest in their lineup is AT&T TV Now, but it’s $80 per month. So I want to give you another option before covering AT&T TV Now.
    My understanding is that the $80 per mo is for AT&T TV Now complete package of which AT&T Sportsnet (and Root) is a part, not just $80 for Root.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    My understanding is that the $80 per mo is for AT&T TV Now complete package of which AT&T Sportsnet (and Root) is a part, not just $80 for Root.
    That sounds about right, BD. We have Uverse, and it includes AT&T Sportsnet. I saw Zag games on Root, but the advertising was out of Houston.

Default Gonzaga Sports Network?

I see that there is now a Stadium streaming channel on Dish. I am interested to see what will be on it once BBall roles around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I see that there is now a Stadium streaming channel on Dish. I am interested to see what will be on it once BBall roles around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have that on Spectrum. It’s garbage.