• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravelinZag
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2012

Gonzaga Sports Network?

What is the cost and feasibility of our own sports network? If not Gonzaga alone, a network in cooperation with a local network affiliate, WSU and EWU (away football games), Gonzaga (men’s & women’s basketball), plus spring sports as mutually beneficial?

If problematic, what would make such a network more achievable?
  • phxfireflames
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2009

Gonzaga and ESPN have had a good thing going for almost 20 years, if it aint broke don't fix it imo.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Jul 2019

Not feasible at all. It would have to be a purely steaming feed since providing content would be difficult in off hours. There is just not a big enough market for it and companies that are move developed like ESPN and KHQ/SWX bring a stronger platform and better margin then a new network could do.

Comment

• CB4
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2009

Let's start with getting all of Gonzaga men's basketball games not on ESPN or CBS Sports available for the national audience on an easily accessible bundled sports package. Or just make sure the WCC feed doesn't go out. Baby steps

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
          Let's start with getting all of Gonzaga men's basketball games not on ESPN or CBS Sports available for the national audience on an easily accessible bundled sports package. Or just make sure the WCC feed doesn't go out. Baby steps
          Gargantuan steps, it would seem.

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Leagues do this but I don't know of a single institution that does this...maybe Notre Dame but they're now affiliated with NBC. We are limited in what we can produced. Small school. no FB, no Track, light in most other sports outside of BB and Baseball. I don't know who has the time to actually do a feasibility study but given the size of the athletics at GU, I doubt we could put such a product together.

Comment

• bdmiller7
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
              Leagues do this but I don't know of a single institution that does this...maybe Notre Dame but they're now affiliated with NBC. We are limited in what we can produced. Small school. no FB, no Track, light in most other sports outside of BB and Baseball. I don't know who has the time to actually do a feasibility study but given the size of the athletics at GU, I doubt we could put such a product together.
              I think the only one is The Longhorn Network, which is why there is no Big 12 network. Good for Texas, but hurts the rest of the conference. Only power 5 without their own network.

Comment

• CB4
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                I would pay per game or per month if KHQ set up a broadcast stream for non-nationally televised games. KHQ doesn't need to set up the streaming infrastructure they could outsource it. We've regressed because these games used to be streamed on ESPN3 or ESPN+ whatever it's called and I could watch the games that way. Now we have WCC streaming which has mixed reviews. And we don't get the early season games though I'm not sure we ever did even on the ESPN streaming platform.

Comment

• TravelinZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2012

For several years I have been able to see all basketball games, except exhibitions, thru a combination of ESPN, CBS and Directv which includes RootNW (owned by Seattle Mariners. Loved it, but don’t take it for granted or believe it will last. That is why I started this thread. Texas does have its own network, and other schools are exploring the possibility. Gonzaga should do the same.

Unfortunately, responses thus far offer few facts. Believe a partnership with a Spokane affiliate would be the strongest way to proceed. Thanks for your input.

Go Zags! Whenever, wherever.

Comment

• PeninsulaDog
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                    I think the only one is The Longhorn Network, which is why there is no Big 12 network. Good for Texas, but hurts the rest of the conference. Only power 5 without their own network.
                    BYU has its own network.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
                      BYU has its own network.
                      That is an entirely different dynamic. Sports is just a portion of their offering.
                      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• PeninsulaDog
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Would you expect that BYU could fill airtime 24x7 with only BYU sports? Even the PAC 12 and Big 10 networks struggle to find enough compelling content to fill airtime without the pandemic. So, the very short answer to the question of a Gonzaga network is 'no'. Which is not to say that the current GU MBB television arrangement is viable, much less adequate. Big step backwards this past season.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
                          BYU has its own network.
                          Yep, watched the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas on it. Very little sports though.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Not to throw water on the idea, but Zag fandom just doesn’t have numbers necessary to make it work economically.

I’d contribute to it financially, but how would you fill the hours of programming 24/7?

Comment

• TravelinZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                              Not to throw water on the idea, but Zag fandom just doesn’t have numbers necessary to make it work economically.

I’d contribute to it financially, but how would you fill the hours of programming 24/7?
                              Texas Zag Fan — Why would it be necessary to provide 24/7 programming? How does the University of Texas do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X