The Starting 5: Will it include Watson? Or Timme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgadfly
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think Petrusev would dominate even more next year and would love to have him back, but of the 3 he is the loss GU is best equipped to handle by far. Timme is more than ready and Ballo and Zakharov have a year in the program and are ready to go. If Ayayi or Kispert leave we have Arlauskas and 2 unproven freshmen who would need to eat up big minutes. Kispert is the loss I'm fearing. He is the one projected to be a solid 2nd round pick, and I'm not sure he would move up any higher with another year in college, plus he graduated already. I hope a chance for a national championship is too much to pass up.
    PG Suggs/Cook
    SG Ayayi/Harris
    SF Kispert/Arluskas/Strawther
    PF Timme/Watson
    C Petrusev/Ballo/Zakharov

I'm not strongly disagreeing with your statement that Petrusev would be the easiest to replace, not due to his talent but because of his value above existing replacement players. But with Cook available at guard and with two highly rated guys like Harris and Strawther around to get minutes, and the flexibility of Watson to play down to SF a little, I think we could probably weather the storm losing any one of those three and be a top 5 squad. Which is kind of insane, but this squad has depth.

In fact, I think we have more proven experience at guard with Cook on the roster than we do inside as Ballo/Zakharov/Watson are pretty much untested and Timme hasn't racked up a ton of minutes either. Without Petro we'd be going to a group of guys that don't actually have a lot of PT. I'm confident their talent would allow them to make that transition to team leader pretty flawlessly, but I'd argue we could probably lose any one of the three and still be one of the deepest squads we've ever had.

And on the question of who starts at PF, I think one player will get banged up a little and have to sit out a game or two to get healthy. At that point, that player ends up being the 6th man and the other guy is the "starter." It all comes down to who rolls an ankle first or gets a cold or something as both Timme and Watson are going to be playing a lot of minutes and doing a fine job.

Comment

• Zagceo
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

Remember when fans heard from coaches that Clarke was so dominate in practice his transfer year they had to tell him to back off......Ballo having 7’6” wingspan could have been same last year.

I’m looking forward to his defense.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

PG Suggs/Cook
        SG Ayayi/Harris
        PF Timme/Watson

Mgadfly has it right. This is a title lineup...

Comment

• bdmiller7
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
          PG Suggs/Cook
          SG Ayayi/Harris
          PF Timme/Watson

Mgadfly has it right. This is a title lineup...
          I understand writing a line-up in this format but that's not how it actually plays out. I mean if Petrusev plays 25 minutes it's not like Ballo and Zakharov get the other 15, or Ayayi and Harris will split the time at the 2. My feeling is a 7 man rotation with Suggs, Ayayi, Kispert, and Cook playing the 1-3, and Watson, Timme, and Petrusev getting most of the 4-5 minutes. Barring injury I see Harris, Arlauskas, Strawther, Ballo, and Zakharov getting spot minutes and mop up duty. They all have tons of talent but Few goes with the experienced 7 he trusts when the game is still on the line. If Petrusev or Kispert go it would hurt big, they will be the experienced go to players next year. My line-up:

1. Suggs/Cook
          2. Ayayi/Suggs
          3. Kispert/Ayayi
          4. Watson/Timme
          5. Petrusev/Timme

Just my opinion, and a lot can change by the time the season rolls around, fun to debate anyway.

Comment

• White lightning
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2017

I think Harris, Strawthers, and Ballo are going to be impact players this season. In 16-17 Few had the luxury of swapping in 2 bigs and a shooting guard regularly.

This year I see a run and gun team with a very pressing defense. Few may run a 8 man like in 16-17or possibly a 9 man rotation with Harris and Strawthers really showing their athleticism. Having body's to absorb fouls will be a luxury. With Ballo filling the middle it will allow Filip and Timme to operate a more balanced game. I feel both will show great improvement in their midrange game after struggling at that last season. Hopfully Zakharov has made improvements getting up to speed in the zag system.

Zags have never had this much young talent coming in at the guard forward position. I'm really excited !!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• jsnider
              Kennel Club
              • Apr 2020

I understand writing a line-up in this format but that's not how it actually plays out. I mean if Petrusev plays 25 minutes it's not like Ballo and Zakharov get the other 15, or Ayayi and Harris will split the time at the 2. My feeling is a 7 man rotation with Suggs, Ayayi, Kispert, and Cook playing the 1-3, and Watson, Timme, and Petrusev getting most of the 4-5 minutes. Barring injury I see Harris, Arlauskas, Strawther, Ballo, and Zakharov getting spot minutes and mop up duty. They all have tons of talent but Few goes with the experienced 7 he trusts when the game is still on the line. If Petrusev or Kispert go it would hurt big, they will be the experienced go to players next year. My line-up:

1. Suggs/Cook
              2. Ayayi/Suggs
              3. Kispert/Ayayi
              4. Watson/Timme
              5. Petrusev/Timme

Just my opinion, and a lot can change by the time the season rolls around, fun to debate anyway.
              What is the conventional wisdom as to whether all three guys return? The starting lineups assume all are coming back. How confident?
              Love the Zags!!!

Comment

• bdmiller7
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by jsnider View Post
                What is the conventional wisdom as to whether all three guys return? The starting lineups assume all are coming back. How confident?
                I'd say more hopeful than confident. I'd definitely have to adjust my rotation.

Uneducated guess Ayayi 90%, Kispert 70%, Petrusev 50%.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mgadfly View Post
                  PG Suggs/Cook
                  SG Ayayi/Harris
                  PF Timme/Watson

I'm not strongly disagreeing with your statement that Petrusev would be the easiest to replace, not due to his talent but because of his value above existing replacement players. But with Cook available at guard and with two highly rated guys like Harris and Strawther around to get minutes, and the flexibility of Watson to play down to SF a little, I think we could probably weather the storm losing any one of those three and be a top 5 squad. Which is kind of insane, but this squad has depth.

In fact, I think we have more proven experience at guard with Cook on the roster than we do inside as Ballo/Zakharov/Watson are pretty much untested and Timme hasn't racked up a ton of minutes either. Without Petro we'd be going to a group of guys that don't actually have a lot of PT. I'm confident their talent would allow them to make that transition to team leader pretty flawlessly, but I'd argue we could probably lose any one of the three and still be one of the deepest squads we've ever had.

And on the question of who starts at PF, I think one player will get banged up a little and have to sit out a game or two to get healthy. At that point, that player ends up being the 6th man and the other guy is the "starter." It all comes down to who rolls an ankle first or gets a cold or something as both Timme and Watson are going to be playing a lot of minutes and doing a fine job.
                  If we lose 2 of the 3, petro, cory and/or joel, it would be a huge loss of experience. Which is a bit of a handicap. But it might open up the door for new guys, and players who did not have a lot of PT last year, to surprise the world - exactly like the 19-20 season when we lost Zach N., Rui, Brandon, and Perkins and WOW just WOW did the 4 replacements surprise everyone including Few.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                    Zag for Life
                    • May 2008

Seems easy to answer now without Filip coming back...both. Assuming Kispert comes back (50/50 IMO) and Ayayi as well (likely) the rotation should be along these lines.

C - Timme, Ballo, PZ
                    PF - Watson, Timme
                    W - Kispert, Strawther, Arlauskas
                    SG - Ayayi, Cook, Harris
                    PG - Suggs, Cook, Ayayi
                    RS - Nembhard

Pretty good looking if you ask me and solid across the board. If we lose Kispert, I think we will still be fine, but I'd expect a three guard lineup quite a bit.

Comment

• BurgessEraZag
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2008

The answer seems to have been clarified. With Filip going pro in Serbia, both Watson and Timme will start.?? Go Zags

Comment

• EEzag
                        Kennel Club Alum
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
                        The answer seems to have been clarified. With Filip going pro in Serbia, both Watson and Timme will start.?? Go Zags
                        Looks like the question was answered. Keep in mind when running two post sets, Watson was invaluable. His passing and spacing was far better than any other post we had including Petro. He was also our best weak side defender and has as much IQ on the court as anyone. A HEALTHY Watson was going to start anyways. The million dollar question is how healthy is he and does Few keep his minutes down to keep him that way?

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Burgess Bingo! As EE says a healthy Anton means a great season coming up! He's got a good chance as an AA....he's got the talent and works hard. We'll be alright! Go Zags!!

Comment

• bdmiller7
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2017

I expect to see Kispert and Strawther getting some time at the 4 now. Timme, Ballo, and Zakharov all seem like more natural centers.

Comment

• webspinnre
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I expect to see Kispert and Strawther getting some time at the 4 now. Timme, Ballo, and Zakharov all seem like more natural centers.
                              I think Timme can play a good amount of 4.
                              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Reborn
                                Zag for Life
                                • Oct 2007

With the news in that Petrusev is moving on, the post positions will belong to Timme, Watson, Ballo and Kispert some. We'll be solid. We'll miss the awesome IQ of Tillie, and his ability to run the offense, but Timme and Watson will be ready to take his duties over.

Go Zags!!!
                                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X