Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72

Thread: The Starting 5: Will it include Watson? Or Timme?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,166

    Default The Starting 5: Will it include Watson? Or Timme?

    Assume we have a season on some basis (please dear God, please). There seems to be a difference of opinion on the board about who will start. The consensus picks: Suggs, Kispert, Ayayi, Petrusev. Some have suggested Timme will start in the fifth spot; others have said Watson. Setting aside the usual “it doesn’t matter who starts but who is in the game at the end” comments, what are the relative merits of each player starting (or coming in later)? (This is the kind of problem/challenge every team would love to have.)
    Last edited by tyra; 07-15-2020 at 11:37 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Assume we have a season on same basis (please dear God, please). There seems to be a difference of opinion on the board about who will start. The consensus picks: Suggs, Kispert, Staying, Petrusev. Some have suggested Timme will start in the fifth spot; others have said Watson. Setting aside the usual “it doesn’t matter who starts but who is in the game at the end” comments, what are the relative merits of each player starting (or coming in later)? (This is the kind of problem/challenge every team would love to have.)
    I'll go with Watson as the 5th starter ... he was starting before he went down and I think has the most upside. Also ... thinking that "Staying" may be a "thought typo" for Ayayi in your post, tyra.

    Like you I am hoping against hope for "some" basketball this season. I'd take (in a heartbeat) a conference season ... then tourney starting after the 1st of the year.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,215

    Default

    I'd guess Watson. The fact that he started last year as GoZags pointed out tell us the staff had a lot of trust in his ability.

    I'm optimistic about having a season.....a lot can change in 6 months.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    856

    Default

    https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...gas-frontcourt

    This article from TSSF outlines all the reasons I've been thinking Watson will start. I think Timme plays a ton of minutes, but Watson will fit better with Petrusev. Both start if Petrusev leaves.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Bingo.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,258

    Default

    I think Timme starts until Watson is 100% recovered and confident in his shoulder.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Timme was great for us last year but I would be much more excited to see Watson start. He's going to be a star for the Zags, and he was playing so well as a freshman before his shoulder got hurt.

    As the Slipper Still Fits article points out, defensive efficiency is much better when Watson teams with Petrusev than when Timme does. Offensive efficiency stays much the same.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Timme was great for us last year but I would be much more excited to see Watson start. He's going to be a star for the Zags, and he was playing so well as a freshman before his shoulder got hurt.

    As the Slipper Still Fits article points out, defensive efficiency is much better when Watson teams with Petrusev than when Timme does. Offensive efficiency stays much the same.
    After Suggs, Watty is the best player on the team.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    After Suggs, Watty is the best player on the team.
    Tough to put him ahead of a senior Kispert but with Watson's talent I wouldn't argue.

    I hope you're right about Suggs.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Arcadia, Calif.
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...gas-frontcourt

    This article from TSSF outlines all the reasons I've been thinking Watson will start. I think Timme plays a ton of minutes, but Watson will fit better with Petrusev. Both start if Petrusev leaves.
    Assuming Petrusev comes back, I think Watson starts at the 4. They complement each other better and Watson is the best defender on the team. Neither Petrusev or Timme excel on defense. Plus Timme and Petrusev are very similar in style and neither can stretch the floor as well as Watson can. Their best lineup if everyone comes back is Suggs/Ayayi/Kispert/Watson/Petrusev with Timme getting considerable minutes. Their talent and depth this year is undeniable. This just might be the deepest and most talented team yet if everyone returns - a big if. If Petrusev does not return but the other two do then yes Watson and Timme both start. And according to the article above that is the best combination. But I hope that Petusev does return.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Assuming Petrusev comes back, I think Watson starts at the 4. They complement each other better and Watson is the best defender on the team. Neither Petrusev or Timme excel on defense. Plus Timme and Petrusev are very similar in style and neither can stretch the floor as well as Watson can. Their best lineup if everyone comes back is Suggs/Ayayi/Kispert/Watson/Petrusev with Timme getting considerable minutes. Their talent and depth this year is undeniable. This just might be the deepest and most talented team yet if everyone returns - a big if. If Petrusev does not return but the other two do then yes Watson and Timme both start. And according to the article above that is the best combination. But I hope that Petusev does return.
    Maybe. But it will take quite a bit to change my perception of the Final 4 team as the most talented. Your two bigs off the bench were Collins and Tillie. !WOW!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    After Suggs, Watty is the best player on the team.
    Second most talented, I could buy that. Second best player, not even close right now, IMO.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Arcadia, Calif.
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Maybe. But it will take quite a bit to change my perception of the Final 4 team as the most talented. Your two bigs off the bench were Collins and Tillie. !WOW!
    That final 4 team was special wasn't it. Collins and Tillie coming off the bench was truly special. I can't and won't argue with you on your point. Only time will tell if this team can match that team. On paper this team might be deeper with Timme, Ballo, Cook, Pavel, Arlo, (the other 2 freshman) all coming off the bench. I have a feeling that if everyone comes back - Arlo might redshirt but there are 10 guys who deserve a fair amount of minutes although there won't be enough minutes to go around. Quite a contrast to last year's team when some games we had a core rotation of 6 when both Tillie and Watson were hurt. Is a starting lineup of Suggs/Ayayi/Kispert/Watson/Petrusev < = > Williams Goss/Perkins/Matthews/JW3/Karnowski? Bottom line is - we should be very proud of both teams. 1A and 1B.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Second most talented, I could buy that. Second best player, not even close right now, IMO.
    Of course. Mean upside.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Maybe. But it will take quite a bit to change my perception of the Final 4 team as the most talented. Your two bigs off the bench were Collins and Tillie. !WOW!
    With a young Rui way down the bench.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    With a young Rui way down the bench.
    I am kinda liking Oumar Ballo on this year’s bench. Plus an improved Zakharov also ready to come in.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Watson starts, Timme in at crunch time (end of game).

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    With a young Rui way down the bench.
    IIRC, Norvell would have been eligible that year as well had he not been recovering from knee surgery. I believe that had he been able to play even 7 minutes a game, that team would have had a great chance at being undefeated

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Am believing Drew will start, initially. They will both get lots of minutes.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    IIRC, Norvell would have been eligible that year as well had he not been recovering from knee surgery. I believe that had he been able to play even 7 minutes a game, that team would have had a great chance at being undefeated
    Fewer shots for Jordan, NWG, Josh may not have been such a good outcome.
    Nevertheless, how many NBA players will have come from that roster when Tils get the nod? Too many for me to count.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    395

    Default

    To me Timme reminds me of Kevin McHale with his inside moves and footwork. To me that says he starts. Watson never impressed me nearly as much as ha apparently did some of you other people. To me Timme is a pro in the making, I'm not that sure about Watson. That's just my opinion of course.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    To me Timme reminds me of Kevin McHale with his inside moves and footwork. To me that says he starts. Watson never impressed me nearly as much as ha apparently did some of you other people. To me Timme is a pro in the making, I'm not that sure about Watson. That's just my opinion of course.
    Rarely have I seen a freshman dominate an opponent as we saw from Drew in the WCC title game. He has elite footwork and passing skills that complement his ability to grab rebounds. Which of the two should start? They’re both deserving.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lido Beach, NY
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Every player on this roster is skilled at putting the ball in the bucket. What will separate Watson from the pack, net him a starting spot, and earn more minutes per game than most will be his next-level ability as a disruptor on defense. The only thing that would hold him back is the shoulder.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I think Timme was awesome last year. He may not have the upside of Watson but the guy is solid. Needs to shoot a higher % at the line but for a freshmen the guy was nails!
    After the injury Watson was clearly playing with fear. His sample size was so small last year. So for my vote Timme starts.
    So many viable options in the front court.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,629

    Default

    In Some ways, it really doesn't matter who starts. Few picks the best lineup to deal with the opponent. If that changes during a game, we have so much talent that even if Filip left, we'd still be a no 1. This promises to be a spectacular season. It's regrettable this disease is changing things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •