Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Starting 5: Will it include Watson? Or Timme?

I think Petrusev is going to the NBA. Timme and Watson start with Ballo coming in off the bench. Zak.harov will get good minutes also. We have so much talent in the posts. Petrusev sees less minutes next year with the talent behind him so he is going to gamble making it in the NBA and get some money.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

IMO Petrusev won't get drafted this year. He'll stay and improve and perhaps have a shot next year, or he'll just go play in Europe this fall.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    IMO Petrusev won't get drafted this year. He'll stay and improve and perhaps have a shot next year, or he'll just go play in Europe this fall.
    I agree with Hockeyzag. He is not going to be drafted in the NBA. I think it is 50/50 that he stays in Europe versus coming back to Gonzaga. I agree with Reborn in that Petrusev sort of peaked last year given he was a major focus on the team. I don't see the same number of minutes for him with all the guys lined up behind him even though he will start at the 5. In a normal year without Covid-19, I think he would return but with the virus, the number of cases spiking here in the US at a time when a decision must be made, the uncertainty of the season and what it might look like, and the ability to play in Europe and get paid while doing so - I think there is an equal chance he does not come back even though he intimated to Nembhard that he was looking forward to practicing with him.

Could Ballo be a one and done? What is he 18 now, with about a 7'6" wingspan.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    I think he could. I believe he will have a year somewhat like Timme's last year. He will start out slow but improve weekly. He is going to be power player in a way I think we have not seen. Karno was powerful and dynamic in the post, and was huge, but I think in a different way. Karno was bigger, and really had a presence in the middle on defense. We missed that after he graduated. To some extent Ballo will bring that back. I do feel Ballo is a better offensive player than Karno was, and it took Karno some time to develop low post skills (footwork). Ballo will be ahead of Karno in this area. Ballo has been in the program a year which will help. But from my views of his videos he just has more on offense than Karno did.

I am really looking forward to seeing him play. I think because who Ballo is and will be, I have a feeling that Petrusev will move on. I have no proof of this it's just a gut feeling that I have. I do feel that Petrusev may loose minutes if he comes back. Ballo will play if there's a season.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I think he could. I believe he will have a year somewhat like Timme's last year. He will start out slow but improve weekly. He is going to be power player in a way I think we have not seen. Karno was powerful and dynamic in the post, and was huge, but I think in a different way. Karno was bigger, and really had a presence in the middle on defense. We missed that after he graduated. To some extent Ballo will bring that back. I do feel Ballo is a better offensive player than Karno was, and it took Karno some time to develop low post skills (footwork). Ballo will be ahead of Karno in this area. Ballo has been in the program a year which will help. But from my views of his videos he just has more on offense than Karno did.

I am really looking forward to seeing him play. I think because who Ballo is and will be, I have a feeling that Petrusev will move on. I have no proof of this it's just a gut feeling that I have. I do feel that Petrusev may loose minutes if he comes back. Ballo will play if there's a season.

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn - you and I are on the same page with regards to Petrusev. I am with you.

What am I, Pavlov's dog?
    reading this thread for the first time has me out-of-control salivating ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    What am I, Pavlov's dog?
    reading this thread for the first time has me out-of-control salivating ...
    Down boy ... easy does it.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

IMHO...This is clearly the best Thread of postings in several months. Great comments. Super enthusiastic GU rooters. No negativity.
    Gosh, I'm happy to read you guys laying it out there.

Is it likely that Petrusev would play in Europe if he isn’t offered a satisfactory NBA deal?

Ballo is still the player who intrigues me the most, starter or not.
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

Many of you think that if Petrusev comes back, others will take away his minutes. Don't see that happening. He proved himself admirably last year and few is loyal to his veterans.

It's been awhile, but didn't Timmie outplay Petrusev in the WCC Tournament. I remember in the first half of one game, wasn't it against St Mary's (my memories are really bad about the season now), Dick Vitale was absolutely raving about Timmie. I mean he couldn't stop. I think it was the most excited I've Dick Vitale in quite awhile. I think Timmie had like 18 points the first half. He was unstoppable. But than I think Ayayi took over the game in the second half. I'd love to see that game again. Vitale kept calling him a star. AND I THINK HE IS GOING TO BE JUST THAT.

We don't know what went on in practices last year. I wish I had more inside info about those practices because I think Ballo might have been pretty amazing. Does anyone remember or know anything that Mark Few said about Ballo or has been saying about him since the season ended?

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    It's been awhile, but didn't Timmie outplay Petrusev in the WCC Tournament. I remember in the first half of one game, wasn't it against St Mary's (my memories are really bad about the season now), Dick Vitale was absolutely raving about Timmie. I mean he couldn't stop. I think it was the most excited I've Dick Vitale in quite awhile. I think Timmie had like 18 points the first half. He was unstoppable. But than I think Ayayi took over the game in the second half. I'd love to see that game again. Vitale kept calling him a star. AND I THINK HE IS GOING TO BE JUST THAT.

We don't know what went on in practices last year. I wish I had more inside info about those practices because I think Ballo might have been pretty amazing. Does anyone remember or know anything that Mark Few said about Ballo or has been saying about him since the season ended?

Go Zags!
    Reborn - you are correct. It was the WCC championship game against St. Mary’s. And yes Dick Vitale went crazy for Timme. I have the game on my DVR as I do every game that is televised. I rewatched the game about a month ago. Vitale called Timme his new favorite player.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Reborn - you are correct. It was the WCC championship game against St. Mary’s. And yes Dick Vitale went crazy for Timme. I have the game on my DVR as I do every game that is televised. I rewatched the game about a month ago. Vitale called Timme his new favorite player.
    Have Drew’s parents fought the adoption papers filed by Vitale?

Timme is the most enjoyable Zag to watch play, irrespective of talent. I’m thinking Watty will be a close 2d in time.

I think Petrusev would dominate even more next year and would love to have him back, but of the 3 he is the loss GU is best equipped to handle by far. Timme is more than ready and Ballo and Zakharov have a year in the program and are ready to go. If Ayayi or Kispert leave we have Arlauskas and 2 unproven freshmen who would need to eat up big minutes. Kispert is the loss I'm fearing. He is the one projected to be a solid 2nd round pick, and I'm not sure he would move up any higher with another year in college, plus he graduated already. I hope a chance for a national championship is too much to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Have Drew’s parents fought the adoption papers filed by Vitale?
    Hi Texas - it is the right question? Vitale just went crazy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    I donít think itís likely at all. He should be a beast by his RS Sophomore year but Iíd be surprised if he played more than 15 minutes this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I donít think itís likely at all. He should be a beast by his RS Sophomore year but Iíd be surprised if he played more than 15 minutes this year.

Agree. Only scenarios I see where Ballo gets more than 10-15 minutes is Petrusev doesnt come back or an injury, otherwise Watson, Timme, and Petrusev are all getting 20-25 minutes a game and there wont be much time to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Agree. Only scenarios I see where Ballo gets more than 10-15 minutes is Petrusev doesnt come back or an injury, otherwise Watson, Timme, and Petrusev are all getting 20-25 minutes a game and there wont be much time to shine.
    Thatís my feeling as well. The kid is going to be a dominant guy in time though.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think Petrusev would dominate even more next year and would love to have him back, but of the 3 he is the loss GU is best equipped to handle by far. Timme is more than ready and Ballo and Zakharov have a year in the program and are ready to go. If Ayayi or Kispert leave we have Arlauskas and 2 unproven freshmen who would need to eat up big minutes. Kispert is the loss I'm fearing. He is the one projected to be a solid 2nd round pick, and I'm not sure he would move up any higher with another year in college, plus he graduated already. I hope a chance for a national championship is too much to pass up.
    PG Suggs/Cook
    SG Ayayi/Harris
    SF Kispert/Arluskas/Strawther
    PF Timme/Watson
    C Petrusev/Ballo/Zakharov

I'm not strongly disagreeing with your statement that Petrusev would be the easiest to replace, not due to his talent but because of his value above existing replacement players. But with Cook available at guard and with two highly rated guys like Harris and Strawther around to get minutes, and the flexibility of Watson to play down to SF a little, I think we could probably weather the storm losing any one of those three and be a top 5 squad. Which is kind of insane, but this squad has depth.

In fact, I think we have more proven experience at guard with Cook on the roster than we do inside as Ballo/Zakharov/Watson are pretty much untested and Timme hasn't racked up a ton of minutes either. Without Petro we'd be going to a group of guys that don't actually have a lot of PT. I'm confident their talent would allow them to make that transition to team leader pretty flawlessly, but I'd argue we could probably lose any one of the three and still be one of the deepest squads we've ever had.

And on the question of who starts at PF, I think one player will get banged up a little and have to sit out a game or two to get healthy. At that point, that player ends up being the 6th man and the other guy is the "starter." It all comes down to who rolls an ankle first or gets a cold or something as both Timme and Watson are going to be playing a lot of minutes and doing a fine job.

Remember when fans heard from coaches that Clarke was so dominate in practice his transfer year they had to tell him to back off......Ballo having 7í6Ē wingspan could have been same last year.

Iím looking forward to his defense.

Go Zags!!!

PG Suggs/Cook
    SG Ayayi/Harris
    PF Timme/Watson

Mgadfly has it right. This is a title lineup...

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    PG Suggs/Cook
    SG Ayayi/Harris
    PF Timme/Watson

Mgadfly has it right. This is a title lineup...
    I understand writing a line-up in this format but that's not how it actually plays out. I mean if Petrusev plays 25 minutes it's not like Ballo and Zakharov get the other 15, or Ayayi and Harris will split the time at the 2. My feeling is a 7 man rotation with Suggs, Ayayi, Kispert, and Cook playing the 1-3, and Watson, Timme, and Petrusev getting most of the 4-5 minutes. Barring injury I see Harris, Arlauskas, Strawther, Ballo, and Zakharov getting spot minutes and mop up duty. They all have tons of talent but Few goes with the experienced 7 he trusts when the game is still on the line. If Petrusev or Kispert go it would hurt big, they will be the experienced go to players next year. My line-up:

1. Suggs/Cook
    2. Ayayi/Suggs
    3. Kispert/Ayayi
    4. Watson/Timme
    5. Petrusev/Timme

Just my opinion, and a lot can change by the time the season rolls around, fun to debate anyway.

I think Harris, Strawthers, and Ballo are going to be impact players this season. In 16-17 Few had the luxury of swapping in 2 bigs and a shooting guard regularly.

This year I see a run and gun team with a very pressing defense. Few may run a 8 man like in 16-17or possibly a 9 man rotation with Harris and Strawthers really showing their athleticism. Having body's to absorb fouls will be a luxury. With Ballo filling the middle it will allow Filip and Timme to operate a more balanced game. I feel both will show great improvement in their midrange game after struggling at that last season. Hopfully Zakharov has made improvements getting up to speed in the zag system.

Zags have never had this much young talent coming in at the guard forward position. I'm really excited !!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk