Thread: What happens if the season is cancelled??

Default What happens if the season is cancelled??

I have been thinking about this a bit. If the season gets cancelled what next? Will the NCAA follow what it did at the end of last year and allow seniors another season? If so how will that affect this team?

This team has 15 players and 6 of those are seniors, all players wanting to get on the court. 14 of those players are on scholarship.

Next year they will add 5 more players, 4 freshmen and one transfer. All are to be on scholarship.

If the season is cancelled and all the seniors stay. Then the team will have a problem. 20 players would be on the team, 19 have been told they would be on scholarship. That is way to many players and not enough playing time.

So if this does happen does anyone know for sure, do the seniors get another year of scholarship? Would the incoming class and transfer still get there scholarship. How does that work since 15 are allowed.

If all players are still allowed to be on scholarship then some would have to be redshirted. Who would that be. Should the freshmen just be redshirted? But what if an incoming freshman is better than someone already on the team. Do you ask an existing player to take a redshirt? Also what happens if Anna and Lilly can’t make it to the states this year?

Just something I have been thinking about to take my mind off everything else.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who will pay for the scholarship if the season is cancelled? Will the NCAA allow an extra 6 scholarships if that happens? Will incoming freshmen, expecting playing time, still come if there isn't much chance?
    It's not funny.

I don't think the entire season will be cancelled.

Not to bring the Covid-19 discussion to this thread, but Washington gave into the economic portion and gave it 5 weeks when a large portion of people and business proprietors simply did not following the opening guidelines. Now the governor has cracked down and put the responsibility with the business managers to enforce the wearing of masks and social distancing, I think 2-3 weeks from now we will see a downturn in new positive Covid-19 tests.

I think that once Washington starts showing a positive downturn, hopefully other states will follow suit and come October-November we may have a solid chance of being in Phase 3 and maybe some OOC games will be able to be played.

At worse, I think we will have a full conference season possibly starting at the start of the 2nd semester which would push back the conference championships a couple of weeks, or maybe they do not have a conference tournament at all this year.

Keep your fingers crossed.

ZagDad

ZD like you I am trying to think positive, and believe we will get some kind of basketball this year. What that will be is still to be determined. And If we will be able to watch those games at the kennel is a completely different question.

But with your info from your team source. It got me to thinking more. If California will not play out of the state, and hearing that from your source I took that to mean the WCC as well. Then GU is affected enormously, being that they are 1 of only 3 teams in the WCC not in California.

That is why I asked the question about the season being cancelled. How would they do a conference schedule when most of the teams wouldn’t leave California to play away games.

I hope this is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfooot View Post
    ZD like you I am trying to think positive, and believe we will get some kind of basketball this year. What that will be is still to be determined. And If we will be able to watch those games at the kennel is a completely different question.

But with your info from your team source. It got me to thinking more. If California will not play out of the state, and hearing that from your source I took that to mean the WCC as well. Then GU is affected enormously, being that they are 1 of only 3 teams in the WCC not in California.

That is why I asked the question about the season being cancelled. How would they do a conference schedule when most of the teams wouldn’t leave California to play away games.

I hope this is not the case.

I took the quote to mean this "Semester" or "OOC Season" for fall sports. For winter sports, I think the 2nd semester is still open (potentially) for travel. I will ask the source for clarification.

The quote did say "California State" schools which does not necessarily apply to the private schools of the WCC. The private schools certainly could choose to follow the state guidelines, but I do not think they are bound by the "California State" mandate. I went back and looked at the PM and the source specifically said CLF was worried about how the non-travel mandate for "California State" schools was going to impact the OOC schedule. He did not mention anything about the conference schedule.

ZagDad

Posted by:ZAGS ATTACK BASKET

Correcting some bum scoop I saw about a California travel ban. This has nothing to do about Covid-19. This is California did not like some other states laws it has been effect since 2017 they just added a few states. Washington is not on their list it does not effect the WCC at all. Idaho was added to their list but the California teams that play Idaho teams in their Division will continue to play them as their is a loophole where they still can travel to Idaho using private funding.

Tidbit listening to 107.9 FM on Sunday they have a nice sermon from Crossover Church at 11:30 PM every week. If you wait about 5 minutes it is followed by another sermon by another church. Enjoy I did the last 2 Sundays. God Bless
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I took the quote to mean this "Semester" or "OOC Season" for fall sports. For winter sports, I think the 2nd semester is still open (potentially) for travel. I will ask the source for clarification.

The quote did say "California State" schools which does not necessarily apply to the private schools of the WCC. The private schools certainly could choose to follow the state guidelines, but I do not think they are bound by the "California State" mandate. I went back and looked at the PM and the source specifically said CLF was worried about how the non-travel mandate for "California State" schools was going to impact the OOC schedule. He did not mention anything about the conference schedule.

ZagDad
    Thank you for the clarification.