A Serious Discussion: Should this Entire Board Go Into a Time Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

This board is losing some of our best posters and moderators.

Caldwell is gone. ZagBlue may follow.

F1D walked away from moderator duties. LIZF and Reno may soon follow.

We, as a collective community of posters, have made their duties intolerable with our frequent griping, personal attacks against each other, and our needless criticism and speculation regarding the heart and motives of potential recruits. There is no joy on this board for them.

Should we just shut the whole board down for a few weeks to let our moderators take a much-needed break? I suggest that we simply prohibit all posting of any kind for the rest of the summer.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

We, as a collective community of posters, have made their duties intolerable with our frequent griping, personal attacks against each other, and our needless criticism and speculation regarding the heart and motives of potential recruits. There is no joy on this board for them.

Should we just shut the whole board down for a few weeks to let our moderators take a much-needed break? I suggest that we simply prohibit all posting of any kind for the rest of the summer.
    It should be considered. Absolutely. Someone with more experience than me needs to make that call.

Negative speculation on recruits should be auto-timeout, ban. I don't think that should even be in question.

I am really unsure (and would like your opinion on it) about those threads that have people debating things, even when it touches on the political. There are precious few places where people even try to communicate with people they see as "the other side," I use myself as Exhibit A.

I am not all that bothered when it gets a little chippy. There should be a line. Which goes back to the moderators, who I think are being used by the SR. The SR makes quite a bit of money off views and to use volunteers for the job it has become is just flat using people. It may have been quaint back in the day, it's not now.

Which gets back to whether it needs to be shutdown. IF it does, it should (IMO) be a group consensus, by users, not imposed by the SR like a teacher/hall monitor. That is absurd and would drive me out immediately.

There is a line and we mostly police each other in the threads. But I still think there's some value in reading people argue. Arguing about issues made this country one of the best by having to reach a consensus, etc. But just like anywhere else in society there should be a line when argument crosses into abusive.

Unlike most, I think there's a benefit to having one of the last places on earth where a wide range of people discuss things, even when uncomfortable. I was basically just called a scardy cat afraid to take a peak out from under the bed (not directly, indirectly accused). That's fine. It doesn't "hurt" and I can at least consider "Am I overly protective?" I'm not, there are still so many unknowns. But I don't mind the challenge.

Honestly, in some ways I try to model the behavior of some of the mods, having gotten tough love on my own plenty of times. We also have a Zag admin that handles the same thing very well. They get challenged on their calls and I think they respond without defensiveness, and with thought. It's not a bad lesson for me, at least.

Good topic.

It should be considered. If it is, I hope it's from a group consensus. It shouldn't be imposed unless it's the mods and done for their own break, health, all that. I would respect that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagceo
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

People move on....life goes on.

only guarantee in life is change.

Stay positive and life is better.

Thanks to those that have contributed to this board and good luck as they may depart.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
        People move on....life goes on.
        This.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

. . .Reno may soon follow.
          I gave my notice days ago. I will visit the Foo and when basketball returns, I will contribute & participate as a rank & file member.

There is no upside to being a moderator on this platform.

The Spokesman-Review needs to figure out if they want to continue hosting the dumpster fire or not. If they shut it down, there are plenty of options out there for following the Zags. Almost all of them are better than the GUB.
          Last edited by RenoZag; 07-12-2020, 01:28 PM.
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• kdaleb
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
            The Spokesman-Review needs to figure out if they want to continue hosting the dumpster fire or not, If they shut it down, there are plenty of options out there for following the Zags, Almost all of them are better than the GUB.
            It has been disheartening to see what has happened with the board. It was tough to read before COVID, but has been almost impossible for the last few months. When I think to the community Bobzag oversaw at our previous host and transitioned to this board... it is just so different now. It's been sad to see the old timers dropping off over the last few years, slowly stopping showing up and contributing less when they do.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
              Administrator
              • Apr 2009

I gave my notice days ago. I will visit the Foo and when basketball returns, I will contribute & participate as a rank & file member.

No upside to being a moderator on this platform.

The Spokesman-Review needs to figure out if they want to continue hosting the dumpster fire or not, If they shut it down, there are plenty of options out there for following the Zags, Almost all of them are better than the GUB.
              I thank you, LIZF and all of the other moderators for the countless hours you have volunteered to this board over the years. Your efforts created a forum that I have enjoyed almost every day for the past eleven years.

I do not begrudge any of you for wanting to walk away from this. You have earned the break.

You all should set up a Zoom retirement party to celebrate.
              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

Thanks for all of your efforts. Speaking of moving on, if I end up looking for a new place, is the Wanker's Club invite-only, or can anyone join?

Comment

• zag buddy
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2007

Moderators, I disagree when you delete my post, ( you can't be expected to make correct calls 100% of the time) but I am grateful you are here and the thankless job you perform concerning the diverse multitudes of ideas presented. Psychologically this is a very difficult time for many and it is reflected in the opinions expressed here. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by me.

Comment

• Zags11
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2008

Wow what has happened?

Comment

• CB4
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2009

Come on. This forum is not a dumpster fire. Agree no upside to being a mod.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2009

You can't have a basketball forum without basketball. Looks like the GU Boards could be another casualty of the shutdown.
                        The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2007

Well ZagBlue and Caldwell are the same person so theres that .... I am surprised y’all have been fooled by that for so long.. Caldwell posts something and then zagblue immediately follows suit agreeing? ZagBlue pumping caldwells horn all the time. Come on guys haha can’t be that gullible.

Also, I am tied to Gonzaga basketball. Not people who think they are bigger than the board. If you’re leaving, you’re leaving. This isn’t an airport—- y’all don’t need to announce your departures.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                            Well ZagBlue and Caldwell are the same person so theres that .... I am surprised y’all have been fooled by that for so long.. Caldwell posts something and then zagblue immediately follows suit agreeing? ZagBlue pumping caldwells horn all the time. Come on guys haha can’t be that gullible.

Also, I am tied to Gonzaga basketball. Not people who think they are bigger than the board. If you’re leaving, you’re leaving. This isn’t an airport—- y’all don’t need to announce your departures.
                            And it is stuff like this that proves our point. No... they are NOT the same person.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                              And it is stuff like this that proves our point. No... they are NOT the same person.
                              For once, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X