Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Serious Discussion: Should this Entire Board Go Into a Time Out?

Default A Serious Discussion: Should this Entire Board Go Into a Time Out?

This board is losing some of our best posters and moderators.

Caldwell is gone. ZagBlue may follow.

F1D walked away from moderator duties. LIZF and Reno may soon follow.

We, as a collective community of posters, have made their duties intolerable with our frequent griping, personal attacks against each other, and our needless criticism and speculation regarding the heart and motives of potential recruits. There is no joy on this board for them.

Should we just shut the whole board down for a few weeks to let our moderators take a much-needed break? I suggest that we simply prohibit all posting of any kind for the rest of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

We, as a collective community of posters, have made their duties intolerable with our frequent griping, personal attacks against each other, and our needless criticism and speculation regarding the heart and motives of potential recruits. There is no joy on this board for them.

Should we just shut the whole board down for a few weeks to let our moderators take a much-needed break? I suggest that we simply prohibit all posting of any kind for the rest of the summer.
    It should be considered. Absolutely. Someone with more experience than me needs to make that call.

Negative speculation on recruits should be auto-timeout, ban. I don't think that should even be in question.

I am really unsure (and would like your opinion on it) about those threads that have people debating things, even when it touches on the political. There are precious few places where people even try to communicate with people they see as "the other side," I use myself as Exhibit A.

I am not all that bothered when it gets a little chippy. There should be a line. Which goes back to the moderators, who I think are being used by the SR. The SR makes quite a bit of money off views and to use volunteers for the job it has become is just flat using people. It may have been quaint back in the day, it's not now.

Which gets back to whether it needs to be shutdown. IF it does, it should (IMO) be a group consensus, by users, not imposed by the SR like a teacher/hall monitor. That is absurd and would drive me out immediately.

There is a line and we mostly police each other in the threads. But I still think there's some value in reading people argue. Arguing about issues made this country one of the best by having to reach a consensus, etc. But just like anywhere else in society there should be a line when argument crosses into abusive.

Unlike most, I think there's a benefit to having one of the last places on earth where a wide range of people discuss things, even when uncomfortable. I was basically just called a scardy cat afraid to take a peak out from under the bed (not directly, indirectly accused). That's fine. It doesn't "hurt" and I can at least consider "Am I overly protective?" I'm not, there are still so many unknowns. But I don't mind the challenge.

Honestly, in some ways I try to model the behavior of some of the mods, having gotten tough love on my own plenty of times. We also have a Zag admin that handles the same thing very well. They get challenged on their calls and I think they respond without defensiveness, and with thought. It's not a bad lesson for me, at least.

Good topic.

It should be considered. If it is, I hope it's from a group consensus. It shouldn't be imposed unless it's the mods and done for their own break, health, all that. I would respect that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

People move on....life goes on.

only guarantee in life is change.

Stay positive and life is better.

Thanks to those that have contributed to this board and good luck as they may depart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    People move on....life goes on.
    This.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Default A Serious Discussion: Should this Entire Board Go Into a Time Out?

. . .Reno may soon follow.
    I gave my notice days ago. I will visit the Foo and when basketball returns, I will contribute & participate as a rank & file member.

There is no upside to being a moderator on this platform.

The Spokesman-Review needs to figure out if they want to continue hosting the dumpster fire or not. If they shut it down, there are plenty of options out there for following the Zags. Almost all of them are better than the GUB.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-12-2020 at 02:28 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    The Spokesman-Review needs to figure out if they want to continue hosting the dumpster fire or not, If they shut it down, there are plenty of options out there for following the Zags, Almost all of them are better than the GUB.
    It has been disheartening to see what has happened with the board. It was tough to read before COVID, but has been almost impossible for the last few months. When I think to the community Bobzag oversaw at our previous host and transitioned to this board... it is just so different now. It's been sad to see the old timers dropping off over the last few years, slowly stopping showing up and contributing less when they do.

I gave my notice days ago. I will visit the Foo and when basketball returns, I will contribute & participate as a rank & file member.

No upside to being a moderator on this platform.

The Spokesman-Review needs to figure out if they want to continue hosting the dumpster fire or not, If they shut it down, there are plenty of options out there for following the Zags, Almost all of them are better than the GUB.
    I thank you, LIZF and all of the other moderators for the countless hours you have volunteered to this board over the years. Your efforts created a forum that I have enjoyed almost every day for the past eleven years.

I do not begrudge any of you for wanting to walk away from this. You have earned the break.

You all should set up a Zoom retirement party to celebrate.

Thanks for all of your efforts. Speaking of moving on, if I end up looking for a new place, is the Wanker's Club invite-only, or can anyone join?

Moderators, I disagree when you delete my post, ( you can't be expected to make correct calls 100% of the time) but I am grateful you are here and the thankless job you perform concerning the diverse multitudes of ideas presented. Psychologically this is a very difficult time for many and it is reflected in the opinions expressed here. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by me.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Wow what has happened?
    Love the zags for life

Come on. This forum is not a dumpster fire. Agree no upside to being a mod.

You can't have a basketball forum without basketball. Looks like the GU Boards could be another casualty of the shutdown.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Well ZagBlue and Caldwell are the same person so theres that .... I am surprised y’all have been fooled by that for so long.. Caldwell posts something and then zagblue immediately follows suit agreeing? ZagBlue pumping caldwells horn all the time. Come on guys haha can’t be that gullible.

Also, I am tied to Gonzaga basketball. Not people who think they are bigger than the board. If you’re leaving, you’re leaving. This isn’t an airport—- y’all don’t need to announce your departures.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Well ZagBlue and Caldwell are the same person so theres that .... I am surprised y’all have been fooled by that for so long.. Caldwell posts something and then zagblue immediately follows suit agreeing? ZagBlue pumping caldwells horn all the time. Come on guys haha can’t be that gullible.

Also, I am tied to Gonzaga basketball. Not people who think they are bigger than the board. If you’re leaving, you’re leaving. This isn’t an airport—- y’all don’t need to announce your departures.
    And it is stuff like this that proves our point. No... they are NOT the same person.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    And it is stuff like this that proves our point. No... they are NOT the same person.
    For once, I agree.

I can't make the call but I really think it's a reasonable thought. I can't believe some of these posts are by true Zag fans. I trolled for a long time before becoming a poster but there is a definite downhill slide. Some posters are so hateful. I like the idea that we use our real names and not hide behind another. I think if one has something to say they should be willing to attach their name to it. Nothing but respect for the mods who have to read through this stuff. A break might weed out some of the bad ones.

What is wrong with you? Honestly, what does this bring other than trolling?

And with this, i’m gone lol! I have never met Caldwell and wouldn’t even know where to find him in the real world.

I am totally AGAINST shutting down this forum. Without a doubt everyone of us has been challenged by this pandemic, and I'm sure our emotions and our minds have been affected. I have certainly found myself become quite irritable at times that normally I would never be irritated by whatever it was that irritated me. I've had good days and bad days. So much of our society has been shut down, and for good reasons, but the shut downs and social distancing have been hard for most of us I'm sure. I rarely see anyone I love, and on that rare occasion I can't hug them or come within 6 feet. That's been hard on a hugger like me, and for a man who deeply loves his family and friends. One thing that has not been shut down has been the internet, and in fact the internet in my opinion has saved the sanity and lives of many.

So this is a great outlet for some, and apparently not for all. So those that don't want to be here don't come. Go do something else. Be creative. But if some of us want to come here to maintain our sense of continuity in some areas of our lives, let us. I enjoy reading most blogs...of course not all....If there has been a constant for me on this board it is that it has been an open forum, and that in general anyone is accepted here, and welcomed to share. In general people have had a fair amount of freedom to express their opinions. And in general it has been good for the forum, in my opinion, to have different opinions about the topics, and although arguing isn't always fun, most of the time it has been acceptable. What has not been accepted is abusive attitudes, and it SHOULD NOT be tolerated. If you don't know what abuse is than please do a thorough study of what it is. One other point that I believe in, is that we should keep our discussions on Gonzaga basketball. There are other forums for other things. If I were a moderator I would not accept either of these two kinds of posts on this board. Enough out of me for now.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    And with this, i’m gone lol! I have never met Caldwell and wouldn’t even know where to find him in the real world.
    Haha! He's on the Missouri River with me, are you?

I posted in a different thread about a site where I have moderated for 15 years. 125,000 members. Over 350,000 threads. 3,000,000 plus posts.

About a half a dozen years ago, we required real names in order for members to post. The board had deteriorated with personal attacks, divisiveness, and no personal accountability.

It is significantly better now. Not only do more people contribute, but the tone of the discussions became more productive and respectful. We still have issues, but we estgablished 10 rules to follow, required adherence to those rules, and handed out warnings, suspensions, and bans for those that crossed the line.

One of the rules was no criticizing moderators in the threads.

Hope this board emerges stronger and more collaborative as result of what has occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Haha! He's on the Missouri River with me, are you?
    Lol nope but I certainly wish I was. Tell him I look forward to meeting him

The Spokesman-Review needs to figure out if they want to continue hosting the dumpster fire or not. If they shut it down, there are plenty of options out there for following the Zags. Almost all of them are better than the GUB.
    I would love to find good discussion without the “experts” talking down all the thoughts. I plan on going to Caldwells site for recruiting. I haven’t found any site that has a good general discussion board though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    I posted in a different thread about a site where I have moderated for 15 years. 125,000 members. Over 350,000 threads. 3,000,000 plus posts.

About a half a dozen years ago, we required real names in order for members to post. The board had deteriorated with personal attacks, divisiveness, and no personal accountability.

It is significantly better now. Not only do more people contribute, but the tone of the discussions became more productive and respectful. We still have issues, but we estgablished 10 rules to follow, required adherence to those rules, and handed out warnings, suspensions, and bans for those that crossed the line.

One of the rules was no criticizing moderators in the threads.

Hope this board emerges stronger and more collaborative as result of what has occurred.
    PM me if you wouldn’t mind. No issue posting under my name either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mob has now taken over GU Boards.