Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Serious Discussion: Should this Entire Board Go Into a Time Out?

Dunno guys. I’m sticking to basketball... . I always like “go with the horse that brung ya”. Exudes I’m lousy at other things except medicine

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Well ZagBlue and Caldwell are the same person so theres that .... I am surprised y’all have been fooled by that for so long.. Caldwell posts something and then zagblue immediately follows suit agreeing? ZagBlue pumping caldwells horn all the time. Come on guys haha can’t be that gullible.

Also, I am tied to Gonzaga basketball. Not people who think they are bigger than the board. If you’re leaving, you’re leaving. This isn’t an airport—- y’all don’t need to announce your departures.
    Several others have criticized the comments above; I consider them tantrum-throwing, dysfunctional comments which are childish at best. I have no idea who zagsfanforlife is, but hopefully its a short life (on this board). If I were moderator I would definitely ban this poster. If they're a troll, I hope their computer crashes. If they're snickering, I hope they get what they deserve in life. If they're stressed by covid, I hope they get professional help. Go Zags!

I will miss those that leave, some more than others. I will welcome those that stay, but will put you on ignore if you are not my version of rational. By that I mean, we can disagree, but we are both allowed to have opinions. Just because you don't agree with mine doesn't make it wrong.

I HOPE that I will still get some good Zags things from this board. As long as that happens. I will stay.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I gave my notice days ago. I will visit the Foo and when basketball returns, I will contribute & participate as a rank & file member.

There is no upside to being a moderator on this platform.

The Spokesman-Review needs to figure out if they want to continue hosting the dumpster fire or not. If they shut it down, there are plenty of options out there for following the Zags. Almost all of them are better than the GUB.
    O/T, if it weren't for Covid, we'd be waking up this morning in Tucumcari, on our way to Reno to visit my sister's family. Summer has come to North Texas in full force, nothing but triple digits on the horizon. Worse yet, it's already 86 degrees at 7:30.

Best wishes to you RZ, hope to hear from you down the line.

I hope someone lets me know where the hoops board ends up. It's kind of tough down here, 2000 miles away from Spokane. Sports talk is Death Valley for anything other than the Dallas Cowboys.

I love Gonzaga and GU basketball..... I'm not going anywhere...

Sticks and Stones.... not words... lot's of childish antics here... sibling rivalry... family disputes... just words folks... not Sticks and Stones...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I am a alumni, long time reader, don't post much. Been here since the very beginning and on the old version too. Just like the outside world isn't making much sense its only fitting the wackiness has made it onto the board. Social media has become so toxic and I believe influencing peoples moods and behaviors.
    My opinion for what its worth is put the board on Time out for 6 weeks and let things calm down.
    Then make people have to use their real names so they can't hide behind their keyboards.
    Go Zags!

I will confess I haven't been on the boards much in the COVID era for a number of reasons (which included being very sick with it early on - fun times). I've started to check in more recently and have been appalled at what this board has become.

I agree with a number of the points made here and in other threads, specifically: a) the slide began pre-COVID, with some of the nastiness that permeates social media beginning to infiltrate the board, b) anonymity contributing to a general lack of incivility (in one thread about "who is a real Zag fan" - as dumb a topic as I can think of - I used my real name to make a point about not hiding and throwing figurative molotov cocktails), c) COVID has politicized everything and put all of us on edge, and d) BZ's calming influence is long gone.

I don't blame any moderator for wanting to step down, as it is a thankless task. Reacting to the OP, I think the board could use a long timeout with a side order of disinfectant, and a hard reboot thereafter.

One last thought -- those of you who know me in real life know I am one of the most politically partisan people you might find, even unpleasantly so at times (I'm working on being a better person, believe me). Not only do I try not to bring any of that to this board, I applaud the mods for trying to keep it out. If you want Twitter, or Facebook, or any of that...go there, don't bring it here.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    This board is losing some of our best posters and moderators.

Caldwell is gone. ZagBlue may follow.

F1D walked away from moderator duties. LIZF and Reno may soon follow.

We, as a collective community of posters, have made their duties intolerable with our frequent griping, personal attacks against each other, and our needless criticism and speculation regarding the heart and motives of potential recruits. There is no joy on this board for them.

Should we just shut the whole board down for a few weeks to let our moderators take a much-needed break? I suggest that we simply prohibit all posting of any kind for the rest of the summer.

Agree with you and many of the comments. Have a suggestion for this or successor boards. Out the purveyors of hate. Ban them and publish their names along with their despicable comments.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Agree with you and many of the comments. Have a suggestion for this or successor boards. Out the purveyors of hate. Ban them and publish their names along with their despicable comments.
    Banning for sure. Putting their names out there is asking to be sued. The ONLY way to do that would be to require names instead of screen names.
    It's not funny.

I do think that, especially lately, one of the problems has been that every COVID thread got locked rather than suspending the posters that were getting a bit out of hand. Not just opposite sides, but calling each other out.

The virus is not going away soon and a dedicated thread to discuss would be a good thing rather than just any old place. The problem with that is that sometimes, in any old place, I feel it needs to be brought up to keep things real.
    It's not funny.

Thin skinned generation.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The virus is not going away soon and a dedicated thread to discuss would be a good thing rather than just any old place.
    The problem is, you can't discuss COVID without involving politics. Politics is playing a role in the response and is directly affecting the season and our players. It's like discussing the tournament without being allowed to discuss the seeding and the committee.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    The problem is, you can't discuss COVID without involving politics. Politics is playing a role in the response and is directly affecting the season and our players. It's like discussing the tournament without being allowed to discuss the seeding and the committee.
    Hit the nail on the head with this one.

How could we possibly not discuss the very thing that's keeping us from enjoying our lives (and watching our team) like we were before it became part of our reality? The existence of this virus and our society's reaction to it affects everything we do on a daily basis.

I haven't had many conversations about any subject in the last 5 months that hasn't somehow steered itself towards the feeling of being in this crisis.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    Thin skinned generation.
    I actually agree even though i am 35. People disagree and fight and it happens. Now people are leaving and starting own board for what? So no disagreements? People should be able to have own opinion and if out of line, give a time out.
    Love the zags for life

Eh. Politics are politics. This virus would be here still regardless. I am neither Left or Right. However i watch liberals defend clinton but hate on trump. I see right wingers defend trump but hate on clinton. Its hypocritical.
    Love the zags for life

Agreed, and almost every other country that took a proactive stance has handled it.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    This virus would be here still regardless.
    See? That is a political belief. As is suggesting that Clinton and Trump are similar.

See? That is a political belief. As is suggesting that Clinton and Trump are similar.
    Denying it is also a political belief.
    It's not funny.

That didn't take long. . .

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    That didn't take long. . .
    Yep, same old crap.

How is it a political belief? Its like saying the flu is a political belief. My point is Republicans raised hell when clinton was being ya know serviced. Democrats defended clinton. Trump is a know adulterer and now Republicans are defending him and democrats are at his throat. All my point was.
    Love the zags for life

Tense times indeed.

Everyone's anxiety level is ratcheted up and those that claim otherwise are in denial. A lot of people are afraid and the aura permeates.

From my perspective, basic survival is more important than fandom. Welcome to the new normal.

Political polarization has creeped into every aspect of our lives, because the pandemic has creeped into every aspect of our lives.

So we are declaring our views and even getting personal due to frustration. This isn't abnormal behavior in such dire times.

Mass graves and using refrigerator trucks for temporary morgues are not a hoax. Waiting for hours or even over night for the transition from emergency to intensive care is not fake news. Neither have any relation to "too many tests" being taken. Neither can be resolved by injecting bleach or forcing the CDC to revise their "too restrictive" back to school guidance (based on politics, not science).

I'm close to the end here as well. When specific political decisions adversely impact my chances of survival, I view enablers of such politics as those who are indifferent to my very survival. Nothing can be more personal and this only raises my desire to make the related dialog personal as well. Personal dialog that is not enjoyable or worth my time. By definition, the political enablers of mitigating my chance for survival are my enemy. Too many enemies here. I'm not going to pretend to understand any longer and I'm not going to lend credibility to those that mock my potential doom. Even if it is lending credibility for the exclusive topic of basketball. In my view, such folks are not worthy of any form of credibility. At least not from me.
    Last edited by MickMick; 07-14-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Amen, Mick !

+1

It's time for all of us to remember what its like to have compassion for our fellow man in life and on this board. We are all Zag Family and disagreements will happen but it should be a healthy debate without name calling or degrading someone publicly. Let's get back to a sense of values and respect for each other. Ok off the soapbox for now.

Zagnut 2012 out....