• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GU's international athletes and new ICE guidelines

Jim Meehan takes a look at how new ICE guidelines may affect Gonzaga's international student athletes in an interview with Mike Roth from the Wednesday edition of the Spokane Spokesman-Review:

Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-lot-of-panic/
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

Terrible. Just terrible.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
      Zag for Life
      • May 2008

It’s not going to be an issue. These things get worked out, it’s just a new talking point right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• kitzbuel
        • Feb 2007

Now, on top of just trying to figure out how to make a season even work this year, coaches and administrators have to protect some of their student athletes from deportation.
        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

GU President Thayne McCulloh weighed in on this topic via his twitter feed:

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• sonuvazag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
            GU President Thayne McCulloh weighed in on this topic via his twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/Gonzaga_Prez/sta...71029539385344
            Rem approved.
            Agent provocateur

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

This is more about China and Chinese students. Hostile countries who train here and then go home with our technology and who knows whatever else they take with them, will be locked out. It's not about our guys.......our kids should be fine, Thane needs to get some information before he tweets. And no, it's not unethical to close the border selectively. I do think the Supremes ruled on that this past year. China, being the source of this pandemic already knows the borders in the US are closed to them since February. Our students from foreign lands should be fine.

Comment

• ZagNative
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Abe, where the hell are you getting that information???? The change in the rules is nothing but an attempt by Trumjp to force universities to hold in-person classes, rather than on-line classes. It has nothing to do with China or hostile countries. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/u...ronavirus.html

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

the Times is a resource for far left libs and often wrong. deliberately wrong. . It's been said several times China is no longer welcome here. More so since they apparently dropped the gift of COVID on the US.. Why would you think Trump cares
                  Last edited by kitzbuel; 07-08-2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• basketballzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                    Abe, where the hell are you getting that information???? The change in the rules is nothing but an attempt by Trumjp to force universities to hold in-person classes, rather than on-line classes. It has nothing to do with China or hostile countries. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/u...ronavirus.html
                    MDABE80 is correct this is all about targeting China and its Chinese students. The NY Times article is very misleading and to make you feel better there will be workarounds for Gonzaga University so that our players aren't impacted by the new rules.

Comment

• ZagNative
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Find me one article supporting your position that this is "all about targeting China." I've looked, and I find nothing except the fact that it is based on Trump's desire to have universities offer in-person rather than on-line classes.

Man, where do you guys get this stuff???
                      Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                      MDABE80 is correct this is all about targeting China and its Chinese students. The NY Times article is very misleading and to make you feel better there will be workarounds for Gonzaga University so that our players aren't impacted by the new rules.

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I wouldn't waste a minute on this. Suit yourself BZ!

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                          As much as Abe may be right, the US can't just kick out Chinese students. It has to kick out all foreign students or none. It is against the law to target one nationality with expulsion per the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination of which the US is signatory and has ratified.

The International Law Commission of the UN Secretariat prescribed in its 2006 Expulsion of aliens memorandum that:
                          The collective expulsion or the mass expulsion of aliens may also violate the principle of nondiscrimination and therefore constitute an additional violation of international law or an aggravated
                          form of the prohibition of collective expulsion or mass expulsion.

In further clarifying Article 5 of the the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination it specifies that Parties to the Treaty
                          Ensure that laws concerning deportation or other forms of removal of
                          non-citizens from the jurisdiction of the State party do not discriminate in
                          purpose or effect among non-citizens on the basis of race, colour or ethnic
                          or national origin, and that non-citizens have equal access to effective
                          remedies, including the right to challenge expulsion orders, and are allowed
                          effectively to pursue such remedies;
                          China most certainly would challenge any US attempt to deport Chinese students under these grounds and likely have standing. So to avoid that, the deportation order must be applied against all foreign students.

I would suspect that Dr. McCulloh was made familiar of this information based on my experience with the Political Science and Law faculty at GU.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Except this isn't about race. It's about country of origen. We can close the border to any country or it's citzens. Suremes ruled in Trump's favor after the Dems raised so much hell over the Arabs. I don't think many would argue about shutting down access from China or their students.........not anymore. As far as I can tell Trump closed the borders in late January to the Chinese specifically due to the COVID epidemic.

Our kids who come to play ball do not come from China. We'll be fine.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                              Except this isn't about race. It's about country of origen. We can close the border to any country or it's citzens. Suremes ruled in Trump's favor after the Dems raised so much hell over the Arabs. I don't think many would argue about shutting down access from China or their students.........not anymore. As far as I can tell Trump closed the borders in late January to the Chinese specifically due to the COVID epidemic.

Our kids who come to play ball do not come from China. We'll be fine.
                              You will have to show me the ruling. Not sure I believe an unsupported statement.
                              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Working...
                              X