Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Winning it all in 20-21

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,496

    Default Winning it all in 20-21

    Femi Abebefe
    @FemiAbebefe
    · 16h
    The Westgate @SuperBookUSA makes Gonzaga the favorite (10/1) to win the 2020-21 men's college basketball national championship.

    Jeff Sherman (@golfodds), the sportsbook's VP of Risk Management, tells me it's the first time EVER the Zags are the preseason betting favorite.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Whom of us wouldn't want to Win in all in 20-21?
    I would and I'll pray the science and basketball Gods give us a chance to try.

    Strongly recommend a Sports Page Editorial Piece in Wall Street Journal, Saturday June 27 entitled, "The Unknown (longterm) Effects of Covid-19"
    Story was in response to Celtic Jaylen Brown's question, "What are the long term effects of Covid-19". SPOILER ALERT, medical experts aren't sure and there is not enough data or testing or analysis to "accurately" predict. Authors interviewed 17 cardiologists, epidemiologists, physicians and infectious disease experts how they would respond. As they opined, professional athletes don't have the luxury of waiting for outcomes of longitudinal studies on corona patients. These athletes who place the highest value on their hearts, lungs and physical conditioning will have to live with uncertainty if the long term effects are damaging.

    I didn't find the article a "Debbie downer" but just food for thought. Remember Ronny Turief's heart problem? Fortunately his sx was a success and he played on. How many GU Zags stars we revere and love to see and hear about their success? I'd hate to look into the future and find any one of them saddled with health problems because of the virus.

    Very balanced article so hopefully with the wonderful advances in medical science we've had in the past 60 years there won't be any serious "long term effects of Covid-19" and especially not for our GU players. When you read the article CADECUS please give us your take on it.

    As an eternal optimist I trust the higher power for life but I also trust Mark Few, his staff and Gonzaga will do everything in their power to give us fans the opportunity to root for the NATTY CHAMP this coming year. 10-1 odds looks like it would be worth dropping a few bucks on our favorite team. Go Zags!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,735

    Default

    Fauci pushing vs playing. We need a respectable covid thread as it impacts zags.
    Love the zags for life

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Femi Abebefe
    @FemiAbebefe
    · 16h
    The Westgate @SuperBookUSA makes Gonzaga the favorite (10/1) to win the 2020-21 men's college basketball national championship.

    Jeff Sherman (@golfodds), the sportsbook's VP of Risk Management, tells me it's the first time EVER the Zags are the preseason betting favorite.
    Is Vegas laying odds as to whether or not there is going to be a college basketball season? Vegas may be a more accurate predictor of the future than the politicians

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    If there is a season, it's likely going to look quite different. Limited fans, some changes and restrictions with travel, and players probably more quarantined. Maybe fewer practices, maybe just conference play, maybe the tournament is a smaller number of teams at one site or something similar.

    So, how does this impact GU? I'd say that the Zags are pretty well situated to withstand this adversity. The one concern is inexperienced (albeit extremely talented) guard play. However, Ayayi will help in this respect as will the incredibly maturity I've seen in the snippets about the incoming tricky trio. In addition, we have a very experienced and veteran front court likely returning and a coaching staff that is obviously well situated.

    If there is any semblance to a normal season, the roster is so loaded it's hard to not see them as a favorite. Just an embarrassment of riches with almost no holes up and down the lineup.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Fauci pushing vs playing. We need a respectable covid thread as it impacts zags.
    Set specific rules for the thread. I think a lot of us would like a dialogue and not a debate (which tend to get personal) but it may be more trouble than it's worth to moderate it.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    If there is a season, it's likely going to look quite different. Limited fans, some changes and restrictions with travel, and players probably more quarantined. Maybe fewer practices, maybe just conference play, maybe the tournament is a smaller number of teams at one site or something similar.

    So, how does this impact GU? I'd say that the Zags are pretty well situated to withstand this adversity. The one concern is inexperienced (albeit extremely talented) guard play. However, Ayayi will help in this respect as will the incredibly maturity I've seen in the snippets about the incoming tricky trio. In addition, we have a very experienced and veteran front court likely returning and a coaching staff that is obviously well situated.

    If there is any semblance to a normal season, the roster is so loaded it's hard to not see them as a favorite. Just an embarrassment of riches with almost no holes up and down the lineup.
    To the extent that a season is possible it will almost surely be without fans - at least until late spring (best case scenario IMO), and I think the Zags are well equipped to handle a drastic change in atmosphere such as that.

    All teams will undergo a massive relearning period as to new environments. That is a given.

    But I feel that the Zags are uniquely suited to adjust. Zag basketball has always been about family, brothers who play for their team, school, friends at the school, their coaches, etc. They are not there to make SportsCenter top 10, nor hear the roar of huge crowds - they could go to Arizona, Oregon, Kansas, Kentucky, to hear the roar and be in the bright lights of the big city. Some of our recruits have chosen that path and that's just fine. But the guys that come here buy-in.

    If we have a season where games are limited to the teams, the staffs, and support personnel, I believe that our guys and their maturity and priorities will shine through. They'll struggle, every team will. I just don't think they'll struggle as much.

    I have my doubts about the viability of this year, but have no doubt my heart breaks for these kids already, hanging on the edge, not knowing, killing themselves to remain in shape, scared they'll be the one that quarantines or infects a team. Just really have my heart out for these guys.

    One way or another, games or no games, I have no doubt that they'll make us extremely proud.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Burg.....respectable poster..../ Every time we bring a COVID discussion on board, it generates a not so good outcome and the hreads get closed. 5 times this has happened. If we can restrict the topic to predictions, I suppose we could try it again. We do have a very good modeling person in our membership. Maybe he could help. As for me, I'm "COVID out" . Best wishes...
    We could have a designated COVID thread. We could share links and opinions, and agree with those opinions or, without arguing or bringing up past posts, post links that are a different opinion.

    Any arguing or negative posting results in a 'time-out', geometrically becoming longer with each time.
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 07-01-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    It's not funny.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    We could have a designated COVID thread. We could share links and opinions, and agree with those opinions or, without arguing or bringing up past posts, post links that are a different opinion.

    Any arguing or negative posting results in a 'time-out', geometrically becoming longer with each time.
    Solid Idea. I know it will turn Left vs Right with some posters and Mods probably don't like it. I think opinions on if their will be sports and facts should be allowed.
    Love the zags for life

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Solid Idea. I know it will turn Left vs Right with some posters and Mods probably don't like it. I think opinions on if their will be sports and facts should be allowed.
    Just post links. No dragging up what someone said 6 weeks ago to prove a point. The point will be proven, one way or another.

    With some of the highly knowledgeable folks on the forum, I have learned a lot. I don't wish those voices to be silenced. I don't wish any other opinions to be silenced either, but trying to prove someone else is wrong , is wrong.
    It's not funny.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,891

    Default

    Just like flying will never be the same, it will take a long time before sports are played, especially as they have been in the past...imo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Not sure how Vegas will handle it, but I would put COVID at the top with Gonzaga as the 2nd best odds.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Not sure how Vegas will handle it, but I would put COVID at the top with Gonzaga as the 2nd best odds.
    Vegas refunds all tickets for events that never happened/were unable to be completed. A bet on the zags at 10/1 is a good move knowing there's a high probability that you're really just giving Vegas an interest-free loan

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Just like flying will never be the same, it will take a long time before sports are played, especially as they have been in the past...imo
    There are a lot of people that see others not following lock down protocols as people that are directly threatening their lives. In other words, potential murderers.

    You can't participate in or attend contact sporting events and follow social distancing protocols. Those that participate in or attend sporting events will be seen as people trying to harm others so the games won't happen. No one wants to been seen as a murderer.

    It's profoundly tragic that the end of stadium sports (as we have known it) is coming at the peak of GU basketball program.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZaGrad View Post
    Vegas refunds all tickets for events that never happened/were unable to be completed. A bet on the zags at 10/1 is a good move knowing there's a high probability that you're really just giving Vegas an interest-free loan
    Vegas needs it right now. That place is literally dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,191

    Default

    Early trial results keep Pfizer vaccine development on track for possible 2020 distribution


    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/early-..._live_hero_hed
    It's not funny.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,570

    Default

    Americans ... and will be available by mid to late December as I’ve been saying for weeks! Projections are for 250 million doses. I dont mean to gloat . But after weeks of LTown call me a liar with DZ pretty much doing the same thing. I must admit this vaccine info being confirmed does make me smile. Sure opens the door to the season! That really messes me smile!! Go Zags!!
    Last edited by MDABE80; 07-01-2020 at 08:12 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Early trial results keep Pfizer vaccine development on track for possible 2020 distribution


    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/early-..._live_hero_hed
    This would be awesome if works!
    Love the zags for life

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Americans ... and will be available by mid to late December as I’ve been saying for weeks! Projections are for 250 million doses. I dont mean to gloat . But after weeks of LTown call me a liar with DZ pretty much doing the same thing. I must admit this vaccine info being confirmed does make me smile. Sure opens the door to the season! That really messes me smile!! Go Zags!!
    Doc, what’s your thought on how safe an expedited vaccine will be?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,857

    Default

    Back onto the season, I think there is a real chance that the season may be delayed until the first of the year, but I don't think it's likely it is cancelled. I don't think it would be a big deal if March Madness this year was April Madness, if got a season in.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Back onto the season, I think there is a real chance that the season may be delayed until the first of the year, but I don't think it's likely it is cancelled. I don't think it would be a big deal if March Madness this year was April Madness, if got a season in.
    Most if not all universities will not be in session between Thanksgiving and February. I would think that you can get a regular season in during that time frame. Athletes can be routinely tested, contact between players and world can be more easily managed. Then select the teams that will be in the tournament and hold the tournament in a few low risk locations later, after some sort of a 14 day period where the athletes can be routinely tested.

    The NCAA is going to have to subsidize testing for less rich conferences and schools to ensure testing adequacy.

    It may not be ideal but it would give us a season.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Most if not all universities will not be in session between Thanksgiving and February. I would think that you can get a regular season in during that time frame. Athletes can be routinely tested, contact between players and world can be more easily managed. Then select the teams that will be in the tournament and hold the tournament in a few low risk locations later, after some sort of a 14 day period where the athletes can be routinely tested.

    The NCAA is going to have to subsidize testing for less rich conferences and schools to ensure testing adequacy.

    It may not be ideal but it would give us a season.
    I am confident they will figure it out by the time the season is to start. We have time for things to continue to develop on the treatment/vaccine side of things as well. They could even use a semi quarantine type situation where the basketball players take their fall classes online and don't interact with the student body as much. Closed practices and limited or no attendance initially. It should be easier to adjust for college basketball than it will be for a sport like football anyway.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Here's an article on the Value of a Statistical Live (VSL)

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...vid-19-crisis/

    The argument against playing will be "Is playing a game worth risking someone's life." If keeping people employed is not worth risking lives, I don't see how playing games will be allowed.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    Doc, what’s your thought on how safe an expedited vaccine will be?
    Still in testing. I've not heard. A group in Europe claims they are in Phase 3 which is beyond the dose/response and morbidity studies. As far as I know, nothing has been released yet.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,458

    Default

    Wondering if anyone knows the answers to these queries ( IF the 20-21 MBB season is cancelled )

    1. Would student athletes' years of eligibility remain intact ?

    2. Is the NCAA considering calling a lost season a "red shirt" year for all student athletes ?

    3. Would roster limits be expanded ?


    ( Apologies if this was covered in any of the locked threads. . . )

    Have a fine Independence Day weekend.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-02-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •