Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winning it all in 20-21

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Didn't see this yet, thanks for posting. They aren't modifying their tuition costs; It's an accounting trick. They show room, board, and travel that are eliminated with online classes as a "savings" to the student without changing the tuition price.
    You are correct, it is not tuition, but costs that are reduced. I don't think it is a trick, still have to pay faculty. They are also adjusting fees depending on status. They are doing better than University of Tennessee. Tennessee is bringing students to campus who may well end up having all their courses online but will still have to pay room and board, full fees, etc.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

CDC data shows 142 deaths in the age group 15-24. There are 42 million persons in this cohort.

Professors/instructors can mitigate their risk very well by distancing and requiring mask use. It seems like it would be safer to be a professor in this environment than it would be to work at, say, Home Depot (who have less control over their environment, and come into contact with older persons). It is definitely less risky than health care. Education is about as “essential” of a service that I can think of. Online learning seems to have significant shortcomings.

The Ivy league has postponed all varsity sports till at least January, nothing happening before. That will be influential but not necessarily universal. It's only real life to mention that the Ivy League are the ones that least rely upon money driven by football-TV. It won't be quite as easy for SEC, or especially MWC types.

There is still so many unknowns. Set aside death rates all that, recent study says it may cross blood-brain barrier and that might permanently live in the nervous system , and damage can be done even in mild cases. We don't know if asymptomatic people have stuff that flares up later, just don't know. IT is not as easy as pointing at mortality rates.

Working in the dark seems to make caution look smart rather than running head first based on very initial data and a burning desire to return to normal. IF it looks like a vaccine will be available in spring, it really argues for caution IMHO.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    The Ivy league has postponed all varsity sports till at least January, nothing happening before. That will be influential but not necessarily universal.
    Unfortunately, that's the canary in the coal mine right there. If memory serves, the Ivy was the first to cancel its' conference tournament, too.

I'm not optimistic we'll see basketball in 2020 but hopefully things can get straightened out enough for a postponed season to occur in 2021. May Madness, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Unfortunately, that's the canary in the coal mine right there. If memory serves, the Ivy was the first to cancel its' conference tournament, too.

I'm not optimistic we'll see basketball in 2020 but hopefully things can get straightened out enough for a postponed season to occur in 2021. May Madness, anyone?
    Right now I'd take that in a heart beat.

I still think that the Zags are uniquely equipped to handle the flash changes in society, the dynamic, all of it.

Like you, I'm see no way before the new year and I'm not even all optimistic about spring semester.

The pros are having an extremely difficult time, and basketball may be the single hardest sport to play.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

We will see. I am more optimistic than many I suppose v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly GU or basketball related, but certainly related to the landscape of future college athletics. I know I have seen several stories on the local Spokane news about Eastern having to possibly make these same type of decisions.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/stanfor...7578--spt.html