• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tinfoilzag
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I hadn’t seen the following discussed anywhere. Per Meehan:

“GU AD Roth on new federal guidelines forcing international students to leave country if schools only offer online courses: "Definitely concerned. It’s causing lot of panic and concern among international students, student-athletes and our coaches, and 4 plenty of ADs out there."

And:

“That is still the plan (Gonzaga holding in-person classes this fall). As long as that part doesn’t change it doesn't affect us at all." Roth has advised coaches to "tell your kids not to panic here."
    The genesis behind this is likely political having to largely do with Chinese Nationals. Once you have all international students leave the country, you have control over which students you allow back. It looks like this move is in conjunction with our separation from China due to their policies and practices (see Tik Tok).

This also forces colleges to offer a in-person classes so they can't do what colleges like Harvard are planning (See Harvard Online Classes ) offering all classes online without changing tuition costs as international students represent a large amount of income for colleges. This would allow states to stay locked down (no school) while not impacting the college's income. Opening schools is a primary platform for republican reelection.

Again, it's all politics.
    The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
      Zag for Life
      • May 2008

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
      The genesis behind this is likely political having to largely do with Chinese Nationals. Once you have all international students leave the country, you have control over which students you allow back. It looks like this move is in conjunction with our separation from China due to their policies and practices (see Tik Tok).

This also forces colleges to offer a in-person classes so they can't do what colleges like Harvard are planning (See Harvard Online Classes ) offering all classes online without changing tuition costs as international students represent a large amount of income for colleges. This would allow states to stay locked down (no school) while not impacting the college's income. Opening schools is a primary platform for republican reelection.

It will work it’s way out. It’s a play to get schools to open this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• kitzbuel
        • Feb 2007

For what it is worth, Harvard is modifying its tuition costs based on the type of instruction (in person and online). https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/covid-19-faqs
        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• tinfoilzag
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
          For what it is worth, Harvard is modifying its tuition costs based on the type of instruction (in person and online). https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/covid-19-faqs
          Didn't see this yet, thanks for posting. They aren't modifying their tuition costs; It's an accounting trick. They show room, board, and travel that are eliminated with online classes as a "savings" to the student without changing the tuition price.
          The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
            It will work it’s way out. It’s a play to get schools to open this fall.

Strategery(?)

Persons coming in and overstaying visas has been a concern of some for a while. My understanding is that there was a loophole that allowed some to get an education visa for an online school (and therefore had no reason to be in the country).

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Didn't see this yet, thanks for posting. They aren't modifying their tuition costs; It's an accounting trick. They show room, board, and travel that are eliminated with online classes as a "savings" to the student without changing the tuition price.
              You are correct, it is not tuition, but costs that are reduced. I don't think it is a trick, still have to pay faculty. They are also adjusting fees depending on status. They are doing better than University of Tennessee. Tennessee is bringing students to campus who may well end up having all their courses online but will still have to pay room and board, full fees, etc.
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

CDC data shows 142 deaths in the age group 15-24. There are 42 million persons in this cohort.

Professors/instructors can mitigate their risk very well by distancing and requiring mask use. It seems like it would be safer to be a professor in this environment than it would be to work at, say, Home Depot (who have less control over their environment, and come into contact with older persons). It is definitely less risky than health care. Education is about as “essential” of a service that I can think of. Online learning seems to have significant shortcomings.

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

The Ivy league has postponed all varsity sports till at least January, nothing happening before. That will be influential but not necessarily universal. It's only real life to mention that the Ivy League are the ones that least rely upon money driven by football-TV. It won't be quite as easy for SEC, or especially MWC types.

There is still so many unknowns. Set aside death rates all that, recent study says it may cross blood-brain barrier and that might permanently live in the nervous system , and damage can be done even in mild cases. We don't know if asymptomatic people have stuff that flares up later, just don't know. IT is not as easy as pointing at mortality rates.

Working in the dark seems to make caution look smart rather than running head first based on very initial data and a burning desire to return to normal. IF it looks like a vaccine will be available in spring, it really argues for caution IMHO.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• OntZags
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DZ View Post
                    The Ivy league has postponed all varsity sports till at least January, nothing happening before. That will be influential but not necessarily universal.
                    Unfortunately, that's the canary in the coal mine right there. If memory serves, the Ivy was the first to cancel its' conference tournament, too.

I'm not optimistic we'll see basketball in 2020 but hopefully things can get straightened out enough for a postponed season to occur in 2021. May Madness, anyone?

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by OntZags View Post
                      Unfortunately, that's the canary in the coal mine right there. If memory serves, the Ivy was the first to cancel its' conference tournament, too.

I'm not optimistic we'll see basketball in 2020 but hopefully things can get straightened out enough for a postponed season to occur in 2021. May Madness, anyone?
                      Right now I'd take that in a heart beat.

I still think that the Zags are uniquely equipped to handle the flash changes in society, the dynamic, all of it.

Like you, I'm see no way before the new year and I'm not even all optimistic about spring semester.

The pros are having an extremely difficult time, and basketball may be the single hardest sport to play.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2008

We will see. I am more optimistic than many I suppose v

Comment

• Spike#1
                          Kennel Club Alum
                          • Oct 2016

Not exactly GU or basketball related, but certainly related to the landscape of future college athletics. I know I have seen several stories on the local Spokane news about Eastern having to possibly make these same type of decisions.

Comment

Working...
                          X