View Poll Results: How likely is a normal (or nearly normal) year.

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • 75-100% likelihood of almost full season

    15 15.31%
  • 50-75% likely

    20 20.41%
  • 25-50% likely

    22 22.45%
  • 1-25% likely

    23 23.47%
  • 0% chance of normal. No real season even w/o fans

    18 18.37%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: How confident are you in having a ‘20-‘21 season

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,374

    Default How confident are you in having a ‘20-‘21 season

    I wonder where Gonzaga fans are at. How confident are you that we’ll see a college basketball season with fewer than 5 cancelled games, and fans (at least 50% of normal occupancy) allowed in the stands? I’m calling that a “normal” year for the poll.

    The final poll choice should be read as “0% confident and I don’t expect a season even w/o fans”.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I wonder where Gonzaga fans are at. How confident are you that we’ll see a college basketball season with fewer than 5 cancelled games, and fans (at least 50% of normal occupancy) allowed in the stands? I’m calling that a “normal” year for the poll.

    The final poll choice should be read as “0% confident and I don’t expect a season even w/o fans”.
    Why didn't you just make all of the choices varying degrees of types of seasons? Having it be a % chance of a normal season but the %'s actually represent something entirely different is extremely confusing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Why didn't you just make all of the choices varying degrees of types of seasons? Having it be a % chance of a normal season but the %'s actually represent something entirely different is extremely confusing.
    Extremely confusing? Really?

    Your hypothetical poll is just fine LTown.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Extremely confusing? Really?

    Your hypothetical poll is just fine LTown.
    I expect a 0% chance of a normal season but I expect a season to take place. Which one do you think I should vote for?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spo Vegas
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    I expect a 0% chance of a normal season but I expect a season to take place. Which one do you think I should vote for?
    I would vote for that option. A new poll would be better
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    This poll kinda personifies my frustration at this point. There is very little in my life that is normal right now and the uncertainty of anything approaching that in the future is unsettling.

    I love Gonzaga basketball but for right now the coming season is near the bottom of my list of importance. Funny thing is, it was right near the top up to and including my trip to Vegas for the WCC championship.

    My faith and my family have always been the top priority but now they take on even more importance. I'm undecided on keeping my businesses or just retiring outright. That would affect several families. There are so many places I want to see with my family but I don't know when that will be possible. My mother is isolated in an assisted living home. I could go on, but you get my drift. Normal is not even on the horizon. I know the rest of you have some of the same concerns and there are a lot of folks in way worse financial and emotional states than I.

    All I can say now is when or if Gonzaga makes it back on to the floor I will make time for it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Why didn't you just make all of the choices varying degrees of types of seasons? Having it be a % chance of a normal season but the %'s actually represent something entirely different is extremely confusing.
    If you'd like a different poll created which has different options or gradations of deviance from normal, the option to create one is open to you, and I'd be interested in seeing the votes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,056

    Default

    A bit O/T, but my money’s on Team Corona beating the NFL.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,480

    Default

    Pearl Harbor unified the nation. 9/11 unified the nation.

    Our current toxic, polarized political climate will not let us unify. Ever again.

    The partisan divide, the profitability of disinformation, the news infrastructure business model structured around confirmation bias with a generational client niche built over decades, will never, ever allow us to be "normal" again. Normal being defined as a nation coming together, unified in performing logical counter measures for a given great adversity, believing in and using proven, predictable scientific methods, and using peer pressure to discredit those that negatively politicize such necessary actions. As it now stands, we are on a slippery slope and economic disaster is looming.

    For cripes sake. Even the CDC recommended act of wearing a face covering apparently determines where our partisanship lies. This confusion of personal freedom with societal responsibility is really a testimony for any given individual's character. I know it goes a long ways towards how I might regard a person.

    Regardless, because we cannot overcome our collective stupidity, there will be no season. Zero percent chance. We are going to be talking about the staggering economic cost of uncontrolled pandemic instead.
    Last edited by MickMick; 06-26-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    787

    Default

    - mick-mick, agree with most all you said, but nonetheless i voted i'm confident in having a season this year.

    - if we do not, i do not think it is because of collective stupidity, rather a lack of fortitude and courage.

    - go zags

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Pearl Harbor unified the nation. 9/11 unified the nation.

    Our current toxic, polarized political climate will not let us unify. Ever again.

    The partisan divide, the profitability of disinformation, the news infrastructure business model structured around confirmation bias with a generational client niche built over decades, will never, ever allow us to be "normal" again. Normal being defined as a nation coming together, unified in performing logical counter measures for a given great adversity, believing in and using proven, predictable scientific methods, and using peer pressure to discredit those that negatively politicize such necessary actions. As it now stands, we are on a slippery slope and economic disaster is looming.

    For cripes sake. Even the CDC recommended act of wearing a face covering apparently determines where our partisanship lies. This confusion of personal freedom with societal responsibility is really a testimony for any given individual's character. I know it goes a long ways towards how I might regard a person.

    Regardless, because we cannot overcome our collective stupidity, there will be no season. Zero percent chance. We are going to be talking about the staggering economic cost of uncontrolled pandemic instead.
    Its a sad, polarizing, and frustrating time. I whole heartily agree with your assessment.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Pearl Harbor unified the nation. 9/11 unified the nation.

    Our current toxic, polarized political climate will not let us unify. Ever again.

    The partisan divide, the profitability of disinformation, the news infrastructure business model structured around confirmation bias with a generational client niche built over decades, will never, ever allow us to be "normal" again. Normal being defined as a nation coming together, unified in performing logical counter measures for a given great adversity, believing in and using proven, predictable scientific methods, and using peer pressure to discredit those that negatively politicize such necessary actions. As it now stands, we are on a slippery slope and economic disaster is looming.

    For cripes sake. Even the CDC recommended act of wearing a face covering apparently determines where our partisanship lies. This confusion of personal freedom with societal responsibility is really a testimony for any given individual's character. I know it goes a long ways towards how I might regard a person.

    Regardless, because we cannot overcome our collective stupidity, there will be no season. Zero percent chance. We are going to be talking about the staggering economic cost of uncontrolled pandemic instead.

    It is with a sad heart that I find myself nodding in agreement to much of this.

    I also don't seen any likely or even moderately probable solutions to the kind of deep hole you describe us being in as a nation.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    in the first month or so i saw the nation, and for the most part world, largely unified.
    i see the disagreements about when, and how much pace to put on normalization until a tested and effective vaccine emerges, to be a rational debate with evidence on both sides.
    the reason it seems the polarization is hopeless, i think, is it has gotten to be partly a red and blue thing, which is the demoralizing and entrenched aspect
    IMHO

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Pearl Harbor unified the nation. 9/11 unified the nation.

    Our current toxic, polarized political climate will not let us unify. Ever again.

    The partisan divide, the profitability of disinformation, the news infrastructure business model structured around confirmation bias with a generational client niche built over decades, will never, ever allow us to be "normal" again. Normal being defined as a nation coming together, unified in performing logical counter measures for a given great adversity, believing in and using proven, predictable scientific methods, and using peer pressure to discredit those that negatively politicize such necessary actions. As it now stands, we are on a slippery slope and economic disaster is looming.

    For cripes sake. Even the CDC recommended act of wearing a face covering apparently determines where our partisanship lies. This confusion of personal freedom with societal responsibility is really a testimony for any given individual's character. I know it goes a long ways towards how I might regard a person.

    Regardless, because we cannot overcome our collective stupidity, there will be no season. Zero percent chance. We are going to be talking about the staggering economic cost of uncontrolled pandemic instead.
    And...the voice of reason again, and again, and again coming from you, MickMick aka avatar Jed. Always I find an intelligent response from you (basketball or otherwise). Who ARE you?

    I feel that despite Vietnam and 9/11, the "heartland" hasn't experienced a real hardship since WWII. Most of us haven't had to ration food or collect tires or sacrifice anything significant that would actually disrupt our lives. It's not hard to put a yellow ribbon on your trunk, or put up a yard sign, or struggle for toilet paper. I agree that coming together as a nation is now beyond us. Recently, the worst we've had to deal with is plopping ourselves on the couch for months with Netflix, home deliveries, and struggling if we're manly enough to WEAR A CLOTH on our face. Oh, the horror.

    It's not real if it isn't affecting you or someone close. If we were attacked by a foreign country that covertly invaded and injured 2,553,686 and killed 127,649 Americans since February 15, would we be up in arms? Would YOU turn out your lights during an air raid, or would that violate your freedoms? Something's wrong. Very.

    Collective stupidity says it all.

    Stay safe, Spokane. Opening up means it's likely coming to your neighborhood, too. I worked at SH, Deaconess briefly, and Valley years ago. At the time, Sacred Heart was just fine and dandy if you smoked in your room as long as you didn't start a fire, and that wasn't so long ago. If you think they have enough capacity or capability, don't be surprised if you need a life flight to Seattle or SLC when you can't get enough oxygen. Just ask Houston: https://outline.com/ajYUb9

    Last edited by caduceus; 06-27-2020 at 04:56 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Wasn't it you that said the problem is "people" think this involves an ON-OFF switch? You are probably right about what people think. But isn't there room for moderate avenues of progress toward recovery. Even though I'm a compliant patient with the "rules" is my character in question because I'm not totally happy with it? My Jesuit education told me "morality is in the order of intention" so if I subscribe to good, safe and healthy results do I meet everyone's standard for character even though I'm not happy with what's going on?

    Most posters on this site are a helluva lot better at Hoops expertise and comments than evaluating people's character they don't even know.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Wasn't it you that said the problem is "people" think this involves an ON-OFF switch? You are probably right about what people think. But isn't there room for moderate avenues of progress toward recovery. Even though I'm a compliant patient with the "rules" is my character in question because I'm not totally happy with it? My Jesuit education told me "morality is in the order of intention" so if I subscribe to good, safe and healthy results do I meet everyone's standard for character even though I'm not happy with what's going on?

    Most posters on this site are a helluva lot better at Hoops expertise and comments than evaluating people's character they don't even know.
    Treasure your Jesuit education...you learned critical thinking at a young age, which is "critically" important. Yes, I said a significant portion of the population wants to follow ON or OFF in terms of the response to this pandemic. Moderate avenues is what is required, but unfortunately, not necessarily desired in our society. That's part of why we have 128,000 dead (almost a quarter of the world's deaths) with only 4% of the world's population, and the next country is less than half that. NONE of us are happy about it...you are not alone.

    Your character is fine. Compliance is smart in this (and your) situation. Be safe. Be informed. Respond with the knowledge you have (which is your power). Help those that need it (especially by wearing a mask to protect those around you in public). Be proactive. Your opinion is not the minority, as most want what you do also.

    One former Jebbie dean dragged me to Idaho to espouse the virtues of a Jesuit education. Another put me on the evening news after a GU prayer event. Another saved me from from actual Federal charges when it turned out another student committed a crime, not me.

    And one married me to my wife. Treasure it.

    Best,

    =cad=

    Hit me up if you need anything. Someone stuck the Covid thread in the dungeon for no apparent reason. I posted this link from National Geographic. I think it's informative: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...g-the-war-cvd/

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    And...the voice of reason again, and again, and again coming from you, MickMick aka avatar Jed. Always I find an intelligent response from you (basketball or otherwise). Who ARE you?

    I feel that despite Vietnam and 9/11, the "heartland" hasn't experienced a real hardship since WWII. Most of us haven't had to ration food or collect tires or sacrifice anything significant that would actually disrupt our lives. It's not hard to put a yellow ribbon on your trunk, or put up a yard sign, or struggle for toilet paper. I agree that coming together as a nation is now beyond us. Recently, the worst we've had to deal with is plopping ourselves on the couch for months with Netflix, home deliveries, and struggling if we're manly enough to WEAR A CLOTH on our face. Oh, the horror.

    It's not real if it isn't affecting you or someone close. If we were attacked by a foreign country that covertly invaded and injured 2,553,686 and killed 127,649 Americans since February 15, would we be up in arms? Would YOU turn out your lights during an air raid, or would that violate your freedoms? Something's wrong. Very.

    Collective stupidity says it all.

    Stay safe, Spokane. Opening up means it's likely coming to your neighborhood, too. I worked at SH, Deaconess briefly, and Valley years ago. At the time, Sacred Heart was just fine and dandy if you smoked in your room as long as you didn't start a fire, and that wasn't so long ago. If you think they have enough capacity or capability, don't be surprised if you need a life flight to Seattle or SLC when you can't get enough oxygen. Just ask Houston: https://outline.com/ajYUb9

    I’m not much for memes but I like one I saw on Instagram today. "Wearing a mask is not a political statement. It’s an IQ test."
    Parlez-vous franηais?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,530

    Default

    Once again, this is a fool's errand . Nobody knows. I wouldn't spend much time on this. Seems like the likilhoods changes every day. Media makes it look awful ( for their own reasons) but the actual overall is not being discussed. Fear is a funny thing...freezes you in a mode that may make some feel better but the data on this is far from finished. Up and down in a few states in general do not change the overall by much.

    Overall , the infections, hospitalizations, deaths are going in the right direction ( down). Media points you to the worst cases to get your attention. And most believes the media as a source to be trusted. But back to this post, UW predictions have been universally wrong and inflated. And yet the media is hanging their collective hats on that source. Now I'm certain fancy graphs will be displayed from some sources. cherry picking to porve or dispute a point with influence the public. Johns Hopkins is the one to be trusted..and that data shows things are slowly getting better despite outbreaks in some states.

    Tony Fauci says we'll have plenty of vaccines byt mid December. If that's true, constant vigilance will still in order.

    All this said, nobody can know for sure if the season will proceed on schedule. I think so if thee trend is followed but once the masks come off, distance isn't protected. anything can happen. Not to mention the virus seems to be attenuating. ...mishmash of info. The liklihood an under 25yr healthy group will get the disease is in the range of 0.3 % if they observe the masks, distance etc.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    All I know is that the people I have personally talked to who have known someone who died under the official designation of covid19 all said the same thing......none of them died from covid19, COPD, cancer, heart disease.....yes, but not the covid19 as it was officially written down as by the government. Again this is not internet rumor, this is talking directly to people with knowledge of the medical conditions that caused these people's deaths.
    I'm not saying that the virus isn't capable of killing people or even complicating existing conditions. But to just blindly believe the "facts" as they're being reported.....as the saying goes, I've got oceanfront property in Arizona.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,721

    Default

    I said it in a different thread but its all how MLB, NBA and NFL go. If MLB and NBA do a good job and NFL when it starts does well, im confident. If not? Nope. I think it wont happen so i voted 1%-25%. MLB or NBA will have a issue and it will ruin College sports.


    I wish for normal again.
    Love the zags for life

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post

    Overall , the infections, hospitalizations, deaths are going in the right direction ( down).
    Over the what stretch of time (since what date) do you believe infections and hospitalizations have been going down? Are you telling this to your patients?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    All I know is that the people I have personally talked to who have known someone who died under the official designation of covid19 all said the same thing......none of them died from covid19, COPD, cancer, heart disease.....yes, but not the covid19 as it was officially written down as by the government. Again this is not internet rumor, this is talking directly to people with knowledge of the medical conditions that caused these people's deaths.
    I'm not saying that the virus isn't capable of killing people or even complicating existing conditions. But to just blindly believe the "facts" as they're being reported.....as the saying goes, I've got oceanfront property in Arizona.
    If you have one of those conditions you mention and catch COVID-19 your likelihood of dying while having COVID-19 increases dramatically. These are people that would be alive without COVID-19 and then die when they have it.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Even if the metrics being used for measuring Covid-19's impact were correct (which they aren't) it's all just academic.

    A cornerstone of the american way is that you are your own sovereign and are allowed to decide how much risk you take as long as it doesn't damage others. If you want to free climb sheer cliffs, or wrestle tigers, or drink yourself to death; you can decide your own risk appetite. If it kills you, fine, as long as you only hurt yourself.

    The problem with a pandemic, is that it requires everyone to have the same risk appetite as an individual's choices are seen as a threat to the group. This doesn't work for American's because of the loss of individual liberty.

    American's are fine with being told what not to do and they are even ok with being asked to do something but they won't be told what to do. It's goes back to the constitution and bill of rights not saying what liberties are given but what liberties the government can't take away.

    The pandemic has finally given officials what they have always dreamed of: the ability to change behavior through force. They won't want to give it up. They will keep telling everyone to wait just one more month for things to get better and if you are against it they will say you hate science and want to kill people. The will use the right reason to do the wrong thing.

    I don't think there will be a season because it is not in the interest of our governor and that's the only thing that matters for this poll.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,530

    Default

    I think Tin's got it. Since AOL dropped her tweet urging governors to keep states closed lest the economy pick up and Trump gets the votes. In that tweet she says flat out that it would be better for companies to close and more unemployment would be her wish so Trump won't be reelected . She says it's a small price to pay for her party to be elected. It's corrupt as heck and it's going on. So some may say "Keep politics out of this"....it's a bit late. Politics is woven throughout. sadly. Look at Mick Mick's post...….it's inextricable and did not begin with the present President. It's gotten worse...……

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Pearl Harbor unified the nation. 9/11 unified the nation.

    Our current toxic, polarized political climate will not let us unify. Ever again.

    The partisan divide, the profitability of disinformation, the news infrastructure business model structured around confirmation bias with a generational client niche built over decades, will never, ever allow us to be "normal" again. Normal being defined as a nation coming together, unified in performing logical counter measures for a given great adversity, believing in and using proven, predictable scientific methods, and using peer pressure to discredit those that negatively politicize such necessary actions. As it now stands, we are on a slippery slope and economic disaster is looming.

    For cripes sake. Even the CDC recommended act of wearing a face covering apparently determines where our partisanship lies. This confusion of personal freedom with societal responsibility is really a testimony for any given individual's character. I know it goes a long ways towards how I might regard a person.

    Regardless, because we cannot overcome our collective stupidity, there will be no season. Zero percent chance. We are going to be talking about the staggering economic cost of uncontrolled pandemic instead.
    Yes. This.

    Though, surprisingly, and against what I'd expected, I am seeing some extremely hopeful signs just over the last two months when it comes to unity. There won't be unity like Pearl Harbor, or even 9-11, but just in the last couple months it seems like we've turned a corner on some things.

    Unfortunately, there will likely be some very hard days between now and when we build back up together, but at least it can be seen in the vista now.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •