• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Roth, Zags plan for season of uncertainty

From the Couer d' Alene press: https://cdapress.com/news/2020/jun/2...n-roth-zags-5/
  • SorenTodd45
    Banned
    • Jan 2019

I know the first game (pre-season or exhibition, however you want to call it) is not until around November 1st. It would be at the Kennel against some cupcake school. But I'm already worried; 2020 MLB may be a no-go, and the 2020 college and pro football seasons are up in the air. Having fans or no fans makes no difference to me; I am not local to Spokane. I've never been inside the Kennel. I'm just hoping that come November, I can go to the WCC website, click on the right window, and see my boys. Wishful thinking. I'm hearing we are already pre-season #1 in the nation, and it would suck if we could not defend that.

Comment

• Zags11
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
      I know the first game (pre-season or exhibition, however you want to call it) is not until around November 1st. It would be at the Kennel against some cupcake school. But I'm already worried; 2020 MLB may be a no-go, and the 2020 college and pro football seasons are up in the air. Having fans or no fans makes no difference to me; I am not local to Spokane. I've never been inside the Kennel. I'm just hoping that come November, I can go to the WCC website, click on the right window, and see my boys. Wishful thinking. I'm hearing we are already pre-season #1 in the nation, and it would suck if we could not defend that.
      2020 MLB season is now happening. (Shall see if Covid hits and its cancelled) NFL 2020 season wants to go but Fauci disagrees. However, if MLB happens and is a success I will believe rest of sports happen.

Comment

• ZagaZags
        Banned
        • May 2010

Does the NBA still plan on playing in Florida this summer?

Comment

• hooter73
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2008

MLB screwed the pooch with their back and forth infighting. I wouldn’t base anything on there being a baseball season or not.

Comment

• AirborneJag
            Kennel Club Material
            • Nov 2009

Roth echoed some of the same thoughts of uncertainty in a letter sent today to season ticket holders. I think for the most part, he is in a plan, check and adjust mode since each day seems to bring a new surprise or development. Intriguing to me is the idea that they may have to limit fans in the MAC (assuming fans are permitted at all) and just how they will choose who gets to attend. Same type of question about the students given social distancing isn’t practicable if it even possible within the student section.

As my momma used to say,“good things come to those who wait” so I guess that’s all we can do is wait.

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
              MLB screwed the pooch with their back and forth infighting. I wouldn’t base anything on there being a baseball season or not.
              Ummm...https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...fety-protocols

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

How does Inslee’s mask proclamation play into this?

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2008

The US is still in the midst of the "first wave" - we're going to be dealing with COVID for so long at this point... at this point my assumption is that - at best - that the next MBB season is maybe conference-only, starting in January.
                  History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2012

- as a season ticket holder to the women's team (11 years now), i received my email today from roth.
                    - short stokes, next month season ticket holders will be receiving notices with opportunity to renew your season tickets.
                    - gu will work with state officials, local health district, and take measures to ensure health of players, staff and fans.
                    - if any game or games are played or cancelled in which a season ticket holder is not allowed to attend, said ticket holder has 2 options. 1. donate the ticket price to the university 2. ask for a refund.

- roth has said before, they will either have no fans, or a full arena. which makes sense, no way you can manage who can and cannot attend, or where they can or cannot sit.

- p.s. hey, i'm an alumni, and fan, but option 1 made me laugh out loud. yes to option 2, thank you please.

Comment

• 3XaZag
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Dec 2007

Why I am optimistic, and you should be too.

Hopefully I can get away with a minor detour into the science.

It will become increasingly clear that the metric to look out for is deaths..not cases. With everything slowly opening back up there will be, and already is, an increase in cases. You can say its due to the demonstrations, amusement parks, or whatever/whomever your politics drives you to blame. Cases in the last week (13-16th vs 20-23) are up 36%.

Deaths are a different story. In the same period they are down from 2,307 to 2,066- a drop of 11%...... That 47% divergence in just one week is huge, and we are seeing it more over time. I am not in the medical field and welcome corrections from those who are, but from what I read, there is likely two reasons for this shift. First, the stronger, more virulent strains of the virus, make people get sick more obviously, thus they are quarantined more, limiting exposure. Then it kills quicker, again limiting exposure. Therefore most viruses get weaker the longer they are out in a population (this exact dynamic is what "did in" SARS in the 00's). The second reason is as the first wave passes it infects/kills the weakest in the population...COVID did this in the nursing homes. The longer it stays out there the more it runs into a stronger populace...thus less deaths. No guarantee these trends will continue, but if they do, the long awaited shift to death rates that are closer to the annual flu will make society feel safer and hasten a return to normal life. A infectious disease doctor in Italy just wrote this is what will end the pandemic, because it will happen a lot sooner than a vaccine. If, at four months since the generally accepted start of the pandemic, we see it, what will this trend look like 4-6 more months down the line. Again, no guarantees, but my money is on the survival of the fittest, and in this case, that will be a weaker version of the virus trying to feed on an increasingly less vulnerable population (and this doesn't even factor in "herd immunity", which isn't much of a factor yet, but will become increasingly important).

If you just stayed with me through those two paragraphs you are two things. First, a better man than me, and second, an optimist that this season will happen...even if there is a glitch, delay, or bump or two.
                      Last edited by 3XaZag; 06-23-2020, 08:50 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                        The US is still in the midst of the "first wave" - we're going to be dealing with COVID for so long at this point... at this point my assumption is that - at best - that the next MBB season is maybe conference-only, starting in January.
                        MLB agreed to terms with the union and with the players today. They will have a 60 game season. Short season but it's on.

Comment

• Gonzdb8
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                          How does Inslee’s mask proclamation play into this?
                          1) i don't believe this was a proclamation, but instead an order implementing a legal requirement. 2) if masks are still required by law come this fall i would think that means the situation is still serious enough that its unlikely sports happens, and certainly not with any fans. thats just my speculation of course, but seems to make sense.

Comment

• sylean
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2010

I agree with all your points except I'm not too optimistic ....why?....because the goals set at the beginning of this have come and gone, and now, we're making up new goals....it wasn't good enough to close down hospital wards in anticipation of the "surge" and to be prepared....now it seems people are upset that the virus is actually doing what a virus does....spread....and yes, death rates are way down....not only are people not getting terribly sick but the treatments have improved....we're testing lots of people now but we seem surprised that there are more cases...

its very strange....

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Under Armour debuts masks to wear while working out

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Style/arm...ry?id=71402427
                              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Working...
                              X