Thread: Question about this forum

Default Question about this forum

I have a few questions about this specific forum.

1. Why are covid-related discussions which also relate to college basketball and broader societal openings being moved here? I can see some folks not liking these threads in the basketball forum, but how do they relate to the stated topic of this forum?

2. Why was the most recent COVID-related thread, which of late had become largely a 2-person discussion between myself and MDABE80 closed? I understand that many people might not want to read it or controbute, though i wish they did, but they clearly weren't forced read it, and it already existed in an obscure corner of GU boards.

3. If that thread was closed due to something that I wrote in it, can the moderator/s who closed it please let me know which rules I violated, so that I don't violate them in the future?

Thanks!

Let me make an attempt at answering.

But first, people need to learn how to navigate this site. There needn't be any obscure corners if one uses the "New Posts" or the "Activity Stream" functions. One never misses a thing when employing this strategy. Some of the most interesting posts are found while scanning through these pages.

The answer to points two and three likely boil down to the personal vitriol between you and the Doc. While interesting to see diametrically opposed views of what is happening concerning the Covid issue, it's all too apparent that it has become a personal feud between the two of you. Simply posting your information and opinion of what it means wasn't enough for you and your back and forth devolved into taunts, challenges and the like in an effort to belittle someone else's opinion. I'm guessing the mods had enough regardless of no actual rules being broken. Both views had some validity to them but the points were diminished by the descent into petty bickering.

I lean more towards the Doc's interpretations of the facts, yet I learned some things from your posts. Both of you could have handled it better and if you had, the thread would still be alive.

Note to Mods. I don't claim to speak for you. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your interpretation, Mark!

As someone who doesn’t want to be petty, taunting, or belittling of another human (though willing to confront their opinions with data) I would like to not do those things going forward and would love to have examples of my personal taunts or belittling pointed out.

I’m aware I challenge MDABE’s predictions of the future and claims about the present, and I think it’s 100% fair to say that I post things which show how little stock or reliability i think is to be found in them, but I strive to make those points scrupulously not personal or characterological.

I hope, and believe, that you won’t find a single instance of personal insult or attack, even by insinuation, written by myself and directed at anyone. If I did ever write such a thing i apologize and would love to see so I could delete it. Nothing like this could be said for the manner in which MDABE80 regularly addresses those with whom he disagrees.

This is why the Online Crosby Center forum was shut down. There was a persistent lack of respect of opposing opinions and a pattern of simply spewing party rhetoric rather than any philosophical discussion. Participants did not permit their views to be challenged and simply retreated to name calling.

Despite multiple pleas to tone things down, the admins decided for the good of the basketball community to shut the OCC forum down a few years ago.

Recently,we have made decisions to allow some threads to remain open due to the unprecedented nature of the times, but leashes will continue to be short.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

" I hope, and believe, that you won’t find a single instance of personal insult or attack, even by insinuation, written by myself and directed at anyone. If I did ever write such a thing i apologize and would love to see so I could delete it. Nothing like this could be said for the manner in which MDABE80 regularly addresses those with whom he disagrees." says LTown..

lol finally the real agenda comes out. You are someone on this board already who tried to get Abe to insult or call names.… It's been tried before. YOU . not me did the disputing.....with wrong facts. That usually will get a rise from me. Nothing personal.

Not exactly a victim......when you've been bounced twice for disputing other topics. this is just a continuation.....good luck.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 06-24-2020 at 04:50 PM.

For what it's worth, I've never seen LTownZag post anything but objective data and interpretations of said data. At times, on other topics, he has politely disagreed or disputed points that I have made and it has never been personal or cynical. I get frustrated at the proclamation that there is a "lack of respect" of opposing opinions when this lack of respect has been primarily coming from a few specific posters.

Respect is earned...