Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Andrew Nembhard!!

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    I got it just wanted to clarify that one for everyone. Jalen was a Zag from his first visit to campus, hints after the visit I made my prediction he would be a Zag before Strawther.

Anyone able to check the Memphis board? I'm guessing a state of shock.
    America's Team!

The highlight film shows a crafty player who understands how to break down a defense. He has excellent body control and an excellent arsenal of hesitation moves, head fakes, ball fakes, change of pace dribbles, etc. to crate passing lanes and driving lanes. He reads the defense very well and creates plays for himself and his teammates.

It will be interesting to see how he develops during his redshirt year. He needs to improve his jump shot, but he otherwise shows the potential to be one of the best guards in college basketball. He might follow in the footsteps of Wiltjer, NWG, JWIII, and Clarke to become yet another good player who transfers to Gonzaga to develop into an All-American.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I got it just wanted to clarify that one for everyone. Jalen was a Zag from his first visit to campus, hints after the visit I made my prediction he would be a Zag before Strawther.
    For sure. But according to some on this board, it was near certain he was going pro within 24 hours before his signing. Fun times and it might explain why some are going to continue to be anxious with future recruits until the LOI is official.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    He might follow in the footsteps of Wiltjer, NWG, JWIII, and Clarke to become yet another good player who transfers to Gonzaga to develop into an All-American.
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least. I'd put money on him outperforming any incoming freshman PG in 2021 at the very least.

Nick Nurse was quite effusive in his praise for Andrew during the World Cup for the reasons you just cited. He's a very crafty, heady player with a great feel for the game.

Really glad he got that callup because one can only imagine Pangos & Wiltjer helped plant seeds. Now it's time to really bear down and get that shot where it needs to be and he can go harder in the weight room since he doesn't have to worry about fatigue for games.

Hope the transfer proves mutually beneficial for Andrew, Gonzaga & Basketball Canada.

This is true ... at least according to his (and Strawther's) parents. Having Jeremy Jones "host" sealed the deal ...

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

IMO, Jalen was a Zag from his mom's first visit to campus. You get mom to spend a couple of days on campus, and she becomes the top advocate for her son or daughter matriculating at GU. I'm convinced that happened with Drew Timme...there's just something magical about our campus.

It was the same way with my better half, she fell in love with the place. We'd been together for 15+ years, and she never understood the vibe surrounding Gonzaga, until we made the trip for my 25th reunion.

So you're saying there's a chance?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    So you're saying there's a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    This is true ... at least according to his (and Strawther's) parents. Having Jeremy Jones "host" sealed the deal ...
    Yes sir! Jeremy Jones was a perfect host!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    IMO, Jalen was a Zag from his mom's first visit to campus. You get mom to spend a couple of days on campus, and she becomes the top advocate for her son or daughter matriculating at GU. I'm convinced that happened with Drew Timme...there's just something magical about our campus.

It was the same way with my better half, she fell in love with the place. We'd been together for 15+ years, and she never understood the vibe surrounding Gonzaga, until we made the trip for my 25th reunion.
    I second that about "there's something magical about the place. I remember one time when I was going to a game a few years ago. It was a Saturday and a day that the High School Seniors and their parents were there for a tour or whatever; so there were students around who had set up booths to sign up these high school kids in their clubs. I walked through the whole campus that day and the students were so friendly to me; everyone wanting to me in a way that I kind of felt like the president of the USA. That was magical.

Another time I was there in the summer for something unrelated to basketball, and there was really only a few students that I ran into. I took my customery walk through the campus alone. Yet, there was that exact magical feeling. It really is the strangest thing. And it was such a joyous feeling.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least. I'd put money on him outperforming any incoming freshman PG in 2021 at the very least.

Nick Nurse was quite effusive in his praise for Andrew during the World Cup for the reasons you just cited. He's a very crafty, heady player with a great feel for the game.

Really glad he got that callup because one can only imagine Pangos & Wiltjer helped plant seeds. Hope the relationship proves mutually beneficial for all of Gonzaga, Andrew & Basketball Canada.
    Yes, I was really hoping that the time spent last summer with National team would help Andrews comfort with the decision. Going to a team with a proven track record with Redshirts, in a program that has a system that will play to his strengths also helped. I am pretty sure that he will only play one year with the Zags....

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

It will be interesting to see how he develops during his redshirt year. He needs to improve his jump shot, but he otherwise shows the potential to be one of the best guards in college basketball. He might follow in the footsteps of Wiltjer, NWG, JWIII, and Clarke to become yet another good player who transfers to Gonzaga to develop into an All-American.
    What a great list of recent transfer players who improved dramatically during their year out of the spotlight and in the Zags’ development program then made a big splash on the national stage, to put it mildly. If Nembhard, who had two years as an SEC starter, makes a similarly dramatic splash for Gonzaga and improves his game too just think how that impacts Zags’ future recruitment of traditional transfer players. Having one such every year or so is perfect.

Quite the mix of recruits these days: top tier US talent out of high school; top tier international recruits from pro clubs; top tier traditional transfers; top tier grad transfers. Wowser!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Are we loaded or what!
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Wait...what?

Championship.......
    I miss Mike Hart

We are so loaded!

Watching Nembhard play on televised and YouTube games when we were recruiting Petrusev made me feel like our noses were still pressed against the glass so I couldn’t be happier.
    Parlez-vous français?

Article in the S-R tonight about Andrew with some quotes, etc.

Gonzaga lands talented transfer guard Andrew Nembhard from Florida
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I think we have a pretty good chance at 1 and maybe 2 titles. But sometimes all the talent doesn't get a team to a championship. It's the teams are to succeed the kids must buy in. Even with a bad call here or there ( try 2017 when we made it to the championship) can way lay even the greatest of teams. Duke..Romar's groups and Kentucky have shown that even a team with "one and dones" usually do flub. They get close but not a title.

I hope our guys get along, care for each other, stay awy from injuries and bring us a title.a game of cm's. It does eem to be our time though. This upcoming year and next should be FF teams. We'll see.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 06-24-2020 at 10:26 AM.

For me it's always been about the journey. I begin gaining interest about this time of year when the new recruits are coming onto campus, and begin mixing with the vets. This is an interesting year because even as we approach July there are still some uncertainties about some of the vets: Kispert, Petrusev, Ayayi. Will they be back? Yet we still have some powerful guys returning even if these three don't: Time, Ballo,Arlauskas and; and we have some amazing recruits coming in to solidify the guard positions: Suggs, Swather, Harris, Cook. I believe at least two of the first three (Kispert, Petrusev, Ayayi) will be back. These are the guys who make us proud.

One thing I really like is there will be a lot of new players. I really like that. Its a lot of fun to watch them grow both as players and as young men. We've been so blessed by all of the success that we've had, and the quality of the young men who come to play at Gonzaga. Like all of us, I really hope and pray that we can have a season. This will be such an exciting to team to follow. Because of what happened last year with the coronavirus I think that maybe all three of those guys will be back to bring a national championship to Gonzaga. When does the season start?

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Since I haven't been reading all the threaded posts here, don't know if this has been posted yet. Nevertheless, a very substantial content-laden article from "Gator Country". Very smart.!

https://www.gatorcountry.com/florida...it-at-florida/

Quote Originally Posted by packlite View Post
    Since I haven't been reading all the threaded posts here, don't know if this has been posted yet. Nevertheless, a very substantial content-laden article from "Gator Country". Very smart.!

Packlite - Thank you that was a great article and i had never seen it.

Great article. Thanks. Even more excited now
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Thanks for the link to a great read.

Go Zags!!!

What a thoughtful, high-IQ article. Not consistent with the typical SEC attack lines we all experience as a mid-major program. Slipper Still Fits needs to give us that kind of depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    What a thoughtful, high-IQ article. Not consistent with the typical SEC attack lines we all experience as a mid-major program. Slipper Still Fits needs to give us that kind of depth.
    Steven Karr has produced quite a few of those analytical/strategic articles for SSF.

I think it's worth a reminder the folks over at SSF are doing those write ups for little pay. Usually the detailed breakdowns are behind a paywall, such as the Athletic.