Thread: Time to schedule WSU?

Hybrid View

Default Time to schedule WSU?

Kyle Smith has put together a pretty impressive recruiting class, especially by WSU standards. If C.J. Elleby comeS back they should be pretty good this year but I really seeing them being competitive the following year as this class matures and is coached up. I think their was bad blood between Few and Ernie/Moos but Chun/Smith is a good team at WSU. Id like to see a home and home plus 1 game at the Spokane Arena with tickets split 50-50.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    Kyle Smith has put together a pretty impressive recruiting class, especially by WSU standards. If C.J. Elleby comeS back they should be pretty good this year but I really seeing them being competitive the following year as this class matures and is coached up. I think their was bad blood between Few and Ernie/Moos but Chun/Smith is a good team at WSU. Id like to see a home and home plus 1 game at the Spokane Arena with tickets split 50-50.
    Be careful what you wish for. KS is a great coach and program builder.

Yes, we should play WSU! We should play all the D1 teams in the area.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Yes, we should play WSU! We should play all the D1 teams in the area.
    Except for Oregon and BSU...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. KS is a great coach and program builder.
    Truth be told I like the Zags but love the Cougs.

I get why GU hasn’t been scheduling WSU the last 4-5 years but if the Coug program can get in that top 50 range it would be a shame if they didn’t start playing. 24/7 has their recruiting class ranked #29. Somewhat of a flawed system based on total number of stars in a class rather than average star per recruit but a positive none the less.

my vote would be yes,
    some years ago, some years we were fortunate that WSU would lower themselves to play us, and it helped our resume,
    besides if the game was in the spokane arena the fans who live in the outfield, and envy the season ticket holders who live in the infield, would get one chance to see zags in person
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 06-23-2020 at 08:53 AM.

I am all for what is best for GU, not whats best for WSU, or even the fans. I totally agree that we should play them, as long as they don't want a home game in return.

why? martin, (oops wrong name, sorry, it is Beasley) center holds about 11k,
    i drove from seattle to pullman a few years ago because it was only chance i had to see the zags play,
    i agree locating for fans should not be the primary goal of scheduling but it should be somewhere down the list.
    because the mcCarthy center only holds 6k it has been a perennial problem for thousands, maybe tens of thousands of fans to see the zags, money in hand.
    games in Spok arena, bye bye
    games in battle in seatttle, bye bye
    games in martin center, bye bye
    all that's left is buy a 4 game minimum package in Portland, 3 of which you wont use, and pay more than a hundred bucks,
    its almost like a conspiracy, but its a problem us outfielders have and the infielders aren't bothered by it, so anyway
    that's my wish, to see a game in person, and the doors are all slammed shut
    i did get a free ticket a couple of years ago from a spok pal in late nov, but without snow tires, i had to wait an extra day to return to seattle, pass was chains only, so I had to go via portland, a 10 hr drive.
    of course it was worth it
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 06-23-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    I am all for what is best for GU, not whats best for WSU, or even the fans. I totally agree that we should play them, as long as they don't want a home game in return.
    A Gonzaga road game at Beasley Coliseum would be a de-facto home game for them. The Zags fans would outnumber the Cougars fans at a 3:1 ratio (minimum).

I hope WSU does whats what good for them....frankly, its amazing how smug and condescending some gu fans have been to WSU....when we know full well that WSU played GU when GU was not that good...

home and home only....good for the goose, good for the gander...

I guess I am still pissed at wsu from kelvin sampson era. He pulled the series. I can personally take or leave the series. If it gets scheduled great. If not that is fine too. I personally think Smith is a helluva coach who has improved the wsu program. How long until he leaves for a bigger program and wazzu is back to square one again? That’s what happens in Pullman.

When WSU is ranked in the top 150, time to consider; in the top 100, time to schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    When WSU is ranked in the top 150, time to consider; in the top 100, time to schedule.
    WSU finished 2020 at 123 Kenpom. If Elleby returns I think they’ll challenge for an at large bid this year (if a season is played). 21-22 looks good as well with this strong recruiting class maturing under Smith (if he’s not poached!).