Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to schedule WSU?

I guess I am still pissed at wsu from kelvin sampson era. He pulled the series. I can personally take or leave the series. If it gets scheduled great. If not that is fine too. I personally think Smith is a helluva coach who has improved the wsu program. How long until he leaves for a bigger program and wazzu is back to square one again? That’s what happens in Pullman.

When WSU is ranked in the top 150, time to consider; in the top 100, time to schedule.

Couldn't help but comment on this one. I have the perspective of an oldie and well remember the series my Freshman year when the Gary Lechman led Zags played a very good Cougar team tight and it was David vs. Goliath, only Goliath won. two very close games. One in Boulder, the other in the JFK Pavillion (old Kennel). I was taught on Freshman orientation that there was nothing lower than a Cougar, and recall listening with fascination to upperclassmen telling tales of stealing Butch the Cougar. I have enjoyed Gonzaga's rise in basketball prestige as much as the next guy, but lament the holier than thou attitude that brought about the failure to continue such a rich rivalry, as well as the opposition to Seattle U joining the WCC, especially considering that even in the days of Elgin Baylor and Eddie Miles Seattle U played GU on a yearly basis, sometimes twice.

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    Couldn't help but comment on this one. I have the perspective of an oldie and well remember the series my Freshman year when the Gary Lechman led Zags played a very good Cougar team tight and it was David vs. Goliath, only Goliath won. two very close games. One in Boulder, the other in the JFK Pavillion (old Kennel). I was taught on Freshman orientation that there was nothing lower than a Cougar, and recall listening with fascination to upperclassmen telling tales of stealing Butch the Cougar. I have enjoyed Gonzaga's rise in basketball prestige as much as the next guy, but lament the holier than thou attitude that brought about the failure to continue such a rich rivalry, as well as the opposition to Seattle U joining the WCC, especially considering that even in the days of Elgin Baylor and Eddie Miles Seattle U played GU on a yearly basis, sometimes twice.
    Good to hear from you sili. I have fond memories of the GU/WSU baseball rivalry, it got pretty intense at old Pecarovich Field. Good times.

Based on competition alone, I'd say no reason. Based on what some old generation Zags would like to see, it couldn't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    When WSU is ranked in the top 150, time to consider; in the top 100, time to schedule.
    WSU finished 2020 at 123 Kenpom. If Elleby returns I think they’ll challenge for an at large bid this year (if a season is played). 21-22 looks good as well with this strong recruiting class maturing under Smith (if he’s not poached!).

Took my avatar photo when the Zags played the Cougs @ Beasley. I've always been for playing local teams and especially Wazzu, with the Eags a close 2nd. It'd be a wise choice for 20-21 to play schools closer to home.

[B][FONT=Arial Black]Anyone go by back to 1949?
    [/FRemember when Bulldogs used to play some games at the old Armory on 2nd or 3rd in Spokane? My brother was WAZZU student and he took me to Armory to see Cougars Gene Conley (a classmate of my brothers from Richland) and Ed Gada take it too the Boone Avenue Brawlers they were called then.
    At 10 years old I was agog with the players. Cougs won easlily. GU had great little guard Mulcahy and Rich Evans.
    NT][/] Yes playing WSU is great especially when they had good teams. Remember Pangos lighting up the Cougs with threes?