Thread: Where are they now: The 2009-10 Saint Mary’s Gaels

Default Where are they now: The 2009-10 Saint Mary’s Gaels

The Omar Samhan, Delly era Gaels teams were among the more entertaining adversaries that the Zags have faced during the Few era. This season marked the tenth anniversary of that group’s Sweet Sixteen run.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020...nament-bracket

I apologize if this was posted before.

For all we know, Omar Samhan may still be talking.

In 2010, the brash senior big man had Villanova in the crosshairs as Saint Mary’s was locking up one of the biggest wins in its history. Samhan dropped in 32 points on 13-16 shooting to help upset the No. 2 Wildcats, and send the Gaels to their first Sweet 16 since 1959 (which, deserves an asterisk since that tournament had just a 23-team field).

With self-deprecation and somewhat-faux-humility, Samhan questioned Jay Wright’s decision not to double team him after the game.

“I get it,” he said. “I’m a slow white guy, and I’m overweight. So maybe you don’t respect me because I have good numbers. But after I kill you the first half, what are you waiting for. I don’t know what he wanted. Did he want me to have 40?”
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

I miss Samhan on the floor vs. Gonzaga as much as Napoleon missed the snows outside Moscow.